There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Limited Contact with Some Draftees

• AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
One of the most interesting things I heard throughout the day yesterday, and in day two, was that many players we drafted were surprised we drafted them based on having limited contact with our team. I think what we're doing is throwing teams off our scent on mid-round talent that we feel confident about. Vance McDonald is a good example. While we had a glaring need at backup TE, for some reason we only sent one scout out to chat with him and then nothing else, iirc. We obviously coveted him by trading up in the second to nab him. Another player was Lemonier, whom had little contact with us as well. I think we had a few guys we really wanted and kept the contact brief and limited.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
One of the most interesting things I heard throughout the day yesterday, and in day two, was that many players we drafted were surprised we drafted them based on having limited contact with our team. I think what we're doing is throwing teams off our scent on mid-round talent that we feel confident about. Vance McDonald is a good example. While we had a glaring need at backup TE, for some reason we only sent one scout out to chat with him and then nothing else, iirc. We obviously coveted him by trading up in the second to nab him. Another player was Lemonier, whom had little contact with us as well. I think we had a few guys we really wanted and kept the contact brief and limited.

Yeah, given I did my whole Mock based on WHO we had private workouts with, once again, Baalke goes a different direction on me. Haha.
Like Baalke said, if you only drafted the guys you brought in for interviews, everybody in the world would know what you were doing.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Like Baalke said, if you only drafted the guys you brought in for interviews, everybody in the world would know what you were doing.

Yep, he said that and also said that some of the visits are just decoys. Also, some guys he said they had seen enough on tape, done enough interviews with coaches/family/friends/team mates that they didn't need to waste a visit on them. They do a ton of home work on these guys all year round. Who visits with before the draft might equal 1-3 of the picks but not all obviously. One thing to keep in mind is maybe some of these other guys we visited they had planned on taking if they fell to the right spot and the board played out right. We might have targeted a FS at 31, let's say he wasn't there and had a DE who we liked better and took him. Then at 34 we didn't like any of the FS... same thing with 61... we had a TE way higher than the FS's available at 61. All of a sudden we went from FS at 31 to at 74. Well we take one but don't think he can start so we end up signing plan B which could have been Woodson. Whole draft changes, whole teams changes... Maybe we planned on taking a WR in the 4th and the value was too good to pass up in round 2 so we go there. You can see how quickly things can change.

So keep in mind guys just because we interviewed them and didn't take them doesn't mean we didn't want to. The stars have to align... right position, right round, still available, all that. Same thing is true on the opposite end. Just because we brought in say (Tavon Austin) doesn't mean we had any intention of drafting him. Could have been a decoy to show teams oh 49ers want a WR high... better get in front of them for a WR or better take Austin before they can trade up or pick him. Maybe they wanted to draw attention way from the guy they really wanted Sheldon Richardson. Just making these names up as examples. Keeps teams on their toes and from knowing who we really are targeting.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM ]