There are 156 users in the forums

our TE need ???

I really doubt we go with a TE with the first 2 picks. I still say db and dt!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
True, an Ertz & VD TE tandem would be dynamic and difficult to defend. However, it is a luxury.... and one that would probably lead to salary cap problems down the road. VD makes about $8M a year. We cannot afford to have two elite pass-catching TE's. It's too expensive and would prevent us from being able to afford good WRs.

We also have more pressing needs to address with picks 31 and 34. DE, NT, WR, and FS are all bigger needs than a 2nd TE.

Travis Kelce in round 3 would be a better way to address the loss of Walker.

I wouldn't be at surprised if Baalke and company disagree with you.

Seriously, I believe they will pick the best player at a position of need.

If they pick a lesser player to fill a need, it will be a mistake.

They will also pick on scheme. This offense has been, not saying that it can not change, very TE heavy.

Having a high quality #2 tight end may not be seen as a luxury by those making the picks.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I see so many people mock drafting us a TE at #34 Eifert or Ertz I don't understand why this is when we have Davis a very high pay TE/star ..I know we lost walker but unlike most I didn't think he was that good ... so why use ahigh pick on a TE unless your thinking Davis N his high cost will be gone in a yr of two ????
In our offense the 2nd TE plays 51 % of the snaps. Plus you want a big target, well there you go. A tight end with value may be Stanfords other TE Levine Toilolo that got hurt, he was ahead of Ertz and maybe more physical than him but got hurt early, some people may shy away form him, but maybe one of those steals in the end if you can get hime the 4th or 5th round and he has recovered.
Originally posted by WildBill:
I see so many people mock drafting us a TE at #34 Eifert or Ertz I don't understand why this is when we have Davis a very high pay TE/star ..I know we lost walker but unlike most I didn't think he was that good ... so why use ahigh pick on a TE unless your thinking Davis N his high cost will be gone in a yr of two ????
In our offense the 2nd TE plays 51 % of the snaps. Plus you want a big target, well there you go. A tight end with value may be Stanfords other TE Levine Toilolo that got hurt, he was ahead of Ertz and maybe more physical than him but got hurt early, some people may shy away form him, but maybe one of those steals in the end if you can get hime the 4th or 5th round and he has recovered.

I understand we use alot 2 TE sets guess I just see more N bigger needs on defense .. I don't think we should take a TE til 3round or later ...
A tall TE receiver would be a great luxury and one that could make our offence elite. If you double cover VD and leave a 6'5 TE alone with a 6ft SS that TE is catching that ball all day long.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Luke Wilson sounded like he could be solid as well. Both had great pro days, Wilson ran a 4.59 and a 4.46 in the 40. And is a great blocker.
If be happy with either prospect.

Wilson did pretty well too. Much more raw prospect, definitely not as talented but has good potential. He could be had as an undrafted player the same way that Celek was.

I dont know I am not sure about this guy

Originally posted by buck:
True, an Ertz & VD TE tandem would be dynamic and difficult to defend. However, it is a luxury.... and one that would probably lead to salary cap problems down the road. VD makes about $8M a year. We cannot afford to have two elite pass-catching TE's. It's too expensive and would prevent us from being able to afford good WRs.

We also have more pressing needs to address with picks 31 and 34. DE, NT, WR, and FS are all bigger needs than a 2nd TE.

Travis Kelce in round 3 would be a better way to address the loss of Walker.

I wouldn't be at surprised if Baalke and company disagree with you.

Seriously, I believe they will pick the best player at a position of need.

If they pick a lesser player to fill a need, it will be a mistake.

They will also pick on scheme. This offense has been, not saying that it can not change, very TE heavy.

Having a high quality #2 tight end may not be seen as a luxury by those making the picks.

Not everybody that fills a need must be a high round pick. Especially at the TE position, plenty of high quality TEs were mid to late round picks. Our own Dalanie Walker was a late round WR prospect that we converted to a very effective H-back.

If we had unlimited cap space then yes, we could have 1st or 2nd round talent at every position. But that is not the case. Mid-late round draft picks must fill important roles or else you end-up in salary cap hell.

I trust that Baalke will look for good value from a 2nd TE. If either Ertz or Eifert fall to the middle of the 2nd round, then we could make a move for them. I doubt we pick a TE at 31 or 34.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I understand we use alot 2 TE sets guess I just see more N bigger needs on defense .. I don't think we should take a TE til 3round or later ...

In the draft, we have to match best player available with the teams positional needs and schemes.

We draft players, not positions.

If the best player on the board fills a need and fits the scheme even though the position he plays may not be our highest need.

The best safety or defensive tackle on the board when we pick at #31 or #34 may not the best player available.
Originally posted by KegBert:
What do you guys think about Jordan Reed out of Florida? I haven't seen too much of his play but from the things I have heard from Mike Mayock on NFL network and stuff I've read, he seems to be a nice replacement for Delanie. He's quick and good in space. Delanie was used as an H back or split out, rarely as an inline blocker. I think Reed would thrive in that position.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jordan-reed?id=2540160

Analysis

Strengths Used from a variety of spot along the formation: inline tight end, detached tight end, receiver, H-back, and even some running back. Adequate blocker when able to ride the shoulder and drive. Resets and gets after his assignment in the running game if missed the first time. Very smooth in breaks on outside breaking routes. Shines with the ball in hand, makes moves in space like a big running back with agility. Consistently makes oncoming defenders miss with hops, cuts, or speed. Flashes getting physical to earn the first down or extra yard at the end of runs. Good mix of hands catching and letting it into his body against tight coverage.

Weaknesses Fails to get over the face of the defensive end when reach blocking. Footwork is not consistent or sustained often enough when blocking, causes him to go to the ground. Posture can get too tall when attacking shoulder of opposition, loses positioning in that way. Needs better anticipation when asked to block at the second level. The type that turns and watches the play after the ball carrier runs past him. Route tree is limited, many or flare outs to the flats. Asked to sit down in soft areas. Hips can get too high when he is asked to run routes, not much exaggeration with head movement.

NFL Comparison Aaron Hernandez

Edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW_Za3CWjmo his draft profile on youtube.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I think we go after a bigger TE that can block and catch.
Eric Branch @Eric_Branch Sightings at Stanford Pro Day: #49ers QBs coach Geep Chryst and ex-TE Brent Jones, who helped coach Stanford TE Zach Ertz in high school.

• buck
  • Veteran
Not everybody that fills a need must be a high round pick. Especially at the TE position, plenty of high quality TEs were mid to late round picks. Our own Dalanie Walker was a late round WR prospect that we converted to a very effective H-back.

If we had unlimited cap space then yes, we could have 1st or 2nd round talent at every position. But that is not the case. Mid-late round draft picks must fill important roles or else you end-up in salary cap hell.

I trust that Baalke will look for good value from a 2nd TE. If either Ertz or Eifert fall to the middle of the 2nd round, then we could make a move for them. I doubt we pick a TE at 31 or 34.

I think we agree. I am not arguing that we have to or even should take TE early in the draft.

I am saying that we take the best player available at a position of need and whose skill set and mental disposition match the team's scheme.

If the best player on the board is a DE when we pick we should take a defensive end or If the best player available is a safety, we should take the safety.

I do not think that the team will pass on the best player available because there might be another, but lower ranked, player that fills the same need available later in the draft.

Although, I will concede with picks #31 and #34, we do take that risk depending on the needs of the teams with the intervening picks.

My point is not just about selecting or not selecting a TE early in the draft.

[ Edited by buck on Mar 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Luke Wilson sounded like he could be solid as well. Both had great pro days, Wilson ran a 4.59 and a 4.46 in the 40. And is a great blocker.
If be happy with either prospect.

Wilson did pretty well too. Much more raw prospect, definitely not as talented but has good potential. He could be had as an undrafted player the same way that Celek was.

yeahh, thats what I read. He kinda sounds like a taller delanie Walker on paper.
They are going to draft Eifert at 31 or ERTZ 34 what if Davis gets hurt then what Celek ? Really.....No and yes we need to draft V.Davis replacement because he is one of the highest paid TE's and we are going to have to re sign Kap,Crabs,Iupati,A.Smith,A.Davis so I could see the Niners drafting 2 TE's one early and one late Zach Suddfeld 6'6'' 255 Nevada
[ Edited by SSF49er on Mar 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Stanford TE in the first is SOOO 2012...lol Seriously though, if the 9ers wanted a pass catching TE, they would have selected Fleener in the 1st last year. I was ridding shotgun on the Fleener bandwagon 12 months ago and it didn't happen. The thing is, Harbaugh knows more about Fleener and Ertz than anyone. If he passes on them, ( Fleener was outplayed by the other Indy rookie TE Dwayne Allen last year ), there is good reason. I just don't see us drafting a TE this year in the 1st. The new 9ers FO always seem to be playing chess, couple moves ahead. Its the reason they kept Ian Williams around, even though he never suited up. They knew Soap and/or RJF were gonna get deals elsewhere this season. If they wanted a pass catching TE, they would have held onto another Stanford TE, Conrad Reuland ( called Novacek in camp because he caught everything ) instead of no hands Celek ( 14 CAREER receptions in 3 years at MSU ). I think for the #2 TE, they want a BIG blocker 1st, a tall Red Zone target 2nd and a high volume pass catcher 3rd. With Boldin, Crabb and Vern, ( hopefully AJ, Manningham and KW ) the #2 TE isn't going to see a high volume of targets in '13' or maybe even '14'. What we do need is a blocker with a nice Red Zone look during the jumbo packages. Instead of picking fat WR's who put their hand in the dirt, ( Eifert, Ertz, Reed ) can see the 9ers picking a S and DE/DT with the first two picks, and still have picks to target someone later. My personal pick! =

Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati Height: 6-5. Weight: 255. Arm: 33.68. Hand: 9.58. Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

Strengths Kelce has an ideal tight end frame. Athletic for his size, with great strength, and the ability to stretch the field vertically. Very physical run blocker, generates power from the lower half, and will move defenders off the ball. Plays with leverage. Wide catching radius, can adjust and make the difficult catch. Tough to bring down after the catch. Light feet, and has lined up in numerous different positions.

Weaknesses Suspended for an entire season for violating team rules. Only one season of production. Doesn't have blazing speed. Not a tremendously explosive athlete. Doesn't come out of his breaks all that well.

NFL Comparison Rob Gronkowski

Bottom Line Kelce has been a tremendous run blocker throughout his career for the Bearcats, but really elevated his game as a receiver in his senior season. The senior caught 45 passes for 722 yards with eight touchdowns in 2012. He isn't a tremendous athlete, but he does a lot of things very well. It's a deep tight end class, but Kelce's play suggests that he should be highly sought after.

We shall see!

If we could get a Rob Gronkowski like TE out of the draft that would be fantastic. We are looking for mismatches in the backfield against LBs and safeties. If we could get a good pass catching, good blocker, dependable receiver, and have him team up with V. Davis we would have ourselves quite the receiing corps. We will see. Thanks for the update on Kelce.

Ninefan56 - looks like the cat may be out of the proverbial bag my friend. A scout on NFL Network listed our boy Kelce as the 2nd best TE in the draft =

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159180/article/2013-nfl-draft-tyler-eifert-travis-kelce-top-tight-end-rankings

2. Travis Kelce, Cincinnati: I don't expect Kelce to be the second tight end taken in this draft, but don't be surprised if his name is mentioned ahead of prospects selected above him a few years down the line. A feisty blocker with an inline frame and a growing comfort in space, Kelce has everything you want on the field. Projection: Third round

Interesting to see Ertz listed 5th, HMMM.

I would LOVE to grab Travis at pick 74 ( 3-12th ). I think his blocking and catching skills would be the perfect fit on our squad...fingers crossed!

2 MORE WEEKS!!!!
If Eifert and Allen fall to 31, we should get Eifert and trade up to 32 and make sure we get Allen.

3 SB rings by the time their contract renewals are due
[ Edited by smithc28 on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone