LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

**** Undrafted Free Agent Signings ****

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
With all due respect, I don't think you are paying attention. Did you know that the Niners not only got Justin Smith's future replacement (Tank Carradine) but they also got a third round pick in next year's draft for that pick?

Even if Hunter does become a stud like you say, that is a big haul for pick number 34. Also, Hunter, for all of his explosiveness, doesn't have great hands. Why do you think he dropped to 34 in the first place? In contrast, Carradine would probably have gone in the top 10 or 15 if he didn't have the ACL injury last year and with today's medical technology, that is an injury that can be fixed and rehabbed in less than a year.

The Niners plan on using Tank the same way they used Aldon Smith as a rookie...on passing downs as a rush weapon. That way, they ease him into the NFL and after a year, when he has put on 10-15 lbs., he becomes a starter and a stud for the next 8-10 years. I think he'll have a very positive impact as a rookie. Very few WRs have that in their first year in the league.

Finally, IMHO, an athletic, pass rushing 3-4 DE is as, if not more valuable to a team than a stud WR. I appreciate your two cents but I don't think you considered fully what the Niners accomplished with that trade.

Cheers!

No, Justin Hunter didn't drop, the 2 sure 1st rounder wideouts were Austin and Patterson. Hunter was always going to be between end of 1st and early 2nd. And the Titans proved me right, they got our pick and selected Hunter right away. The guy doesn't have bad hands. Get this, he came back after his ACL last year, rusty and he still cleared 1,000 receiving yards right away. If you want to talk drop, Tank dropped like you said, Quinton Patton dropped, Lattimore dropped, now those are drops.

Overall, we just didn't do enough on the offensive side of the ball. I forsee we will be having problems this year with quite a number of teams drafting better than us. Just look at the Rams within division, we will be having issues if we are not careful.

I am from a totally different school of thought. Is a newer point of view if you will, I believe it is offense that wins games in this day and age. Not totally saying defense is not important, a good D will help to get you there, but ultimately it is your offense that will get it done for you.

I am not saying don't draft on the defensive side of the ball, but I would have drafted a top WR and a top TE to replace Delanie first before anything else.
I just now realized that Tyler Bray went undrafted. I actually felt that he would be better than Glennon.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I just now realized that Tyler Bray went undrafted. I actually felt that he would be better than Glennon.

That's an interesting one cos most of us have been watching all those amazing highlights from 3 Tennessee wideouts, namely Patterson, Hunter and Rogers and either almost forgetting or not realizing Tyler Bray was the QB who was delivering all those amazing throws. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but he is just very raw at this point and will require some developing. But, the measurables are definitely there, 6'6", 232 lbs and has a huge arm. I think out of this year's QB class, he will be the one to look out for once he becomes more polished.
Originally posted by Rascal:

That's an interesting one cos most of us have been watching all those amazing highlights from 3 Tennessee wideouts, namely Patterson, Hunter and Rogers and either almost forgetting or not realizing Tyler Bray was the QB who was delivering all those amazing throws. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but he is just very raw at this point and will require some developing. But, the measurables are definitely there, 6'6", 232 lbs and has a huge arm. I think out of this year's QB class, he will be the one to look out for once he becomes more polished.

Agreed. Maybe his injury history has teams scared, but he got picked up with a Chiefs which is a good sign since they have a pretty decent coach in Andy Reid.
Originally posted by GEEK:
He's an athletic freak that was recruited to be the icon and start of a new era at QB for the Gophers. Inconsistency + bad coaching + bad talent around him = utilization of athleticism in any way possible. He's spent time at WR for the Gophers once they switched QBs. TE is a projected position due to his frame and physical intangibles.

He's most definitely a project pick with no defined position. I'd like to see him at TE. He doesn't have the route running skills for a pure WR, but has the speed and size to blossom as a reserve TE.

I graduated from U of MN, so I know a lot about him.

Good signing!

Hmmm, might be a nice back up FB/H-Back.. I wanted the Harvard guy (ravens got him), for this same role. Maybe he can fill the void ?/

Agreed. Maybe his injury history has teams scared, but he got picked up with a Chiefs which is a good sign since they have a pretty decent coach in Andy Reid.

major work ethic and maturity concerns with Bray.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Get this, I just read on nfl.com that in the combine he tied Kaep's fastest throw at 59 mph. That is impressive amomgst other things.

Get this, I just read on nfl.com that in the combine he tied Kaep's fastest throw at 59 mph. That is impressive amomgst other things.

if ATG's comments about Bray's maturity and work ethic issues are accurate, hopefully someone like Alex Smith will get him on the right path.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

if ATG's comments about Bray's maturity and work ethic issues are accurate, hopefully someone like Alex Smith will get him on the right path.

If ATG's comments are true, then he probably wouldn't listen to Alex Smith. But, if the Chiefs decide sometime down the road that Alex's dink-and-dunk offense is not quite enough, I can easily forsee Bray taking over much like what Kaep did cos like Kaep this kid can make all the throws. But, if that happens it won't be earlier than next year.
No, Justin Hunter didn't drop, the 2 sure 1st rounder wideouts were Austin and Patterson. Hunter was always going to be between end of 1st and early 2nd. And the Titans proved me right, they got our pick and selected Hunter right away. The guy doesn't have bad hands. Get this, he came back after his ACL last year, rusty and he still cleared 1,000 receiving yards right away. If you want to talk drop, Tank dropped like you said, Quinton Patton dropped, Lattimore dropped, now those are drops.

Overall, we just didn't do enough on the offensive side of the ball. I forsee we will be having problems this year with quite a number of teams drafting better than us. Just look at the Rams within division, we will be having issues if we are not careful.

I am from a totally different school of thought. Is a newer point of view if you will, I believe it is offense that wins games in this day and age. Not totally saying defense is not important, a good D will help to get you there, but ultimately it is your offense that will get it done for you.

I am not saying don't draft on the defensive side of the ball, but I would have drafted a top WR and a top TE to replace Delanie first before anything else.
Look... I get it. You dig Hunter as a prospect. Nothing wrong there. I agree with you that he is a solid prospect. I just thought that the Niners essentially trading him for DE Carradine and a third round pick next year was a no-brainer.

BTW...Here is CBS / Draft Scout's report on Hunter.

Strengths:
Hunter is a tall, long athlete with an exception catching radius and reach. He is a fluid, gliding mover with long strides and deceiving speed to get vertical or make plays after the catch. He has strong footwork in/out of his breaks with sharp route quickness to sell patterns and create some separation. He tracks the ball beautifully, adjusting with outstanding body control.
Hunter does a nice job becoming a DB downfield to knock balls away and prevent the INT. He has the size/speed combination to attract defensive holding and pass interference penalties in his routes. Hunter has experience lining up as an X, Y and Z receiver, lining up all over the offense for Tennessee.
He had a productive 2012 season as one of only four SEC receivers to surpass 1,000 receiving yards, finishing third in receiving yards (1,083) and touchdown grabs (9). Despite just 17 career starts, Hunter finishes his Tennessee career ranked top-five in career 100-yard receiving games (8) and touchdown catches (18).

Weaknesses:
Hunter has a lean body type from head to toe and needs to add more strength and bulk, but lacks the frame to easily put on weight. He isn't overly explosive after the catch and is a little straight-linish, lacking flexible ankles and needing a moment when changing his directions. Hunter plays rushed and needs to stay under control in his routes and when locating the ball.
He needs to eliminate some bad habits, playing wild at times, jumping when he doesn't need to and losing yardage when he reverses his field trying to do too much. Hunter lacks natural hands to corral fastballs and is too inconsistent catching the ball with a lot of body catches and double catches. He needs to secure grabs and doesn't always look the ball into his hands or locate, battling streaky hand/eye coordination.
Hunter gets obviously frustrated by off-target throws and too often he lets poor body language show, needing to stay focused for all four quarters and keep his emotions in-check. He needs to be more aggressive on 50/50 and jump balls and how better conviction, often lacking the physicality to consistently out-muscle most defensive backs.
Hunter often has some alligator arms over the middle with defenders bearing down on him and needs to sell out for catches. He lacks the build to break tackles, but he needs to play tougher instead of giving up his body or escaping out of bounds. Hunter holds the ball too loose after the catch and needs to protect the ball.
He has some durability concerns because of his lean build, including a torn ACL in his left knee (Sept. 17, 2011). Hunter struggled against top competition in 2012 with just 2 of his 9 touchdowns coming against SEC foes and his 4 100-yard receiving performances were against Georgia State, Akron, Troy and Missouri.

Not just my opinion...

Cheers!

Add CB Lowell Rose Tulsa transfer from UCLA to the list of signed undrafted free agents
Share 49ersWebzone