LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

**** Undrafted Free Agent Signings ****

Originally posted by jimrat:
Marcus Davis is still available

Hat tip to MadDog for calling Davis undraftable. I didn't think that would happen given his production and measureables, but MD nailed it.
Why is Davis undraftable?
Originally posted by GEEK:
MarQuies Gray, QB/WR/TE, Minnesota anybody know about the bolded part?
can this guy transition to another position?

He's an athletic freak that was recruited to be the icon and start of a new era at QB for the Gophers. Inconsistency + bad coaching + bad talent around him = utilization of athleticism in any way possible. He's spent time at WR for the Gophers once they switched QBs. TE is a projected position due to his frame and physical intangibles.

He's most definitely a project pick with no defined position. I'd like to see him at TE. He doesn't have the route running skills for a pure WR, but has the speed and size to blossom as a reserve TE.

I graduated from U of MN, so I know a lot about him.

Good signing!

Never seen any of this guy. Is there any hope for him as a thrower? Is he a project QB, or just purely a "slash" athlete?
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Why is Davis undraftable?

just not good enough, apparently.

He's an athletic freak that was recruited to be the icon and start of a new era at QB for the Gophers. Inconsistency + bad coaching + bad talent around him = utilization of athleticism in any way possible. He's spent time at WR for the Gophers once they switched QBs. TE is a projected position due to his frame and physical intangibles.

He's most definitely a project pick with no defined position. I'd like to see him at TE. He doesn't have the route running skills for a pure WR, but has the speed and size to blossom as a reserve TE.

Good signing!
When you started out "He's an athletic freak"... I thought you were going to say that he would line up as QB, throw the ball down field and then turn WR/TE and run down the field and catch it himself. I'm so disappointed.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Good signing!

Never seen any of this guy. Is there any hope for him as a thrower? Is he a project QB, or just purely a "slash" athlete?

HB in the mold of michael robinson?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Good signing!

You never know with Harbaugh, but my gut tells me TE role with his height.

He's very raw as a QB. Joe Webb would be my comparison, and the Vikings just moved him to wide receiver

Good signing!

Do you think with Harbaugh coaching him up he has enough tools to eventually be a quality backup QB?

Never mind...you just answered it above.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM ]

Good signing!

Gray is an awful passer. Just has horrible accuracy and zero touch. I think he's decently intriguing as a TE/WR, though, as he actually did well while playing receiver and showed nice hands. He really is a great jumbo athlete, but you can't let him anywhere near the ball as a thrower.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Good signing!

HB in the mold of michael robinson?

Way too tall and fragile for a FB RB role. Joe Webb is my comparison

Is McDermott only rosterable if he beats out Jennings? Or is he versatile?

Strictly LS. He has a good shot though. He is a amn good LS. Damn good.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

He's an athletic freak that was recruited to be the icon and start of a new era at QB for the Gophers. Inconsistency bad coaching bad talent around him = utilization of athleticism in any way possible. He's spent time at WR for the Gophers once they switched QBs. TE is a projected position due to his frame and physical intangibles.

Good signing!

Do you think with Harbaugh coaching him up he has enough tools to eventually be a quality backup QB?

Never mind...you just answered it above.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Strictly LS. He has a good shot though. He is a amn good LS. Damn good.

Agreed, and cheaper than Jennings...much cheaper
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
These are confirmed? Wow! The hits just keep on coming this weekend for the Niners. Marquardt and Gray are definitely the most intriguing signings so far.

I feel like we not only hit a homerun with our draft picks, our UDFA signings have been spot on as well. Loving it this year.

The Marquardt signing is the one missing piece of the puzzle on the offensive line as our backup tackle. Our front office has been spot on all offseason in addressing the few holes this team has. I can't wait to see how this team looks when they all hit the field together.
Read that we signed darry morris jr out of texas state.. Please someone tell me if this is true or not... Went to high school with him..
Share 49ersWebzone