LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

2014 Draft

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
IMO next yr draft needs will be RB ,WR, CB ...

We just drafted a rb, why would we need to draft another one?
Originally posted by ironmanbravo:
Anyone know the number of wins the Chiefs must get for the Alex Smith trade to result in a 2nd round pick?

I heard it's not wins, but actually playing time-based (i.e. Smith must play 92% of the Cheifs' snaps). So not really performance-based, but more of health-based.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Anyone know the number of wins the Chiefs must get for the Alex Smith trade to result in a 2nd round pick?

I heard it's not wins, but actually playing time-based (i.e. Smith must play 92% of the Cheifs' snaps). So not really performance-based, but more of health-based.

Do you have a link for where you heard this? Because I can't find anything. All I've seen is right after the trade, Kawakami saying he was hearing the conditional pick was dependent on how many wins the Chiefs had. I'd prefer a time-based condition because I think the Chiefs might actually have a pretty good record.
Here's an early look at the Top 50 – 2014 NFL Draft
Prospects. (NFLTR)

1. Jadeveon
Clowney
South
Carolina DE 6'6 272

2. Teddy
Bridgewater Louisville QB 6'3 218

3. Marqise Lee USC WR 6'0 195

4. Jake Matthews Texas A&M OT 6'5 305

5. Taylor Lewan Michigan OT 6'8 309

6. C.J. Mosley Alabama LB 6'2 232

7. Kyle Van Noy BYU OLB 6'3 235

8. Sammy
Watkins Clemson WR 6'1 200

9. Anthony Barr UCLA OLB 6'4 235

10. Louis Nix III Notre Dame DT 6'3 326

11. Tajh Boyd Clemson QB 6'1 225

12. Bradley Roby Ohio State CB 5'11 190

13. Adrian
Hubbard Alabama OLB 6'6 248

14. Jackson
Jeffcoat Texas DE 6'5 238

15. Stephon Tuitt Notre Dame DT 6'6 322

16. David Fales San Jose
State QB 6'3 220

17. Cyrus
Kouandjio Alabama OT 6'6 311

18. Aaron Colvin Oklahoma CB 6'0 182

19. Austin
Seferian-Jenkins Washington TE 6'6 266

20. Will Sutton Arizona
State DT 6'1 267

21. Jason Verrett TCU CB 5'10 180

22. Bradley Roby Ohio State OLB 6'2 222

23. Morgan Breslin USC DE 6'2 250

24. Dominique
Easley Florida DT 6'2 280

25. Jordan
Matthews Vanderbilt WR 6'3 205

26. A.J. McCarron Alabama QB 6'4 210

27. David Yankey Stanford OT 6'5 301

28. Trent Murphy Stanford OLB 6'6 261

29. Cody Hoffman BYU WR 6'4 215

30. Christian
Jones
Florida
State LB 6'4 232

31. Aaron Murray Georgia QB 6'1 210

32. Brandon
Coleman Rutgers WR 6'5 220

33. Ka'Deem
Carey
Arizona
State RB 5'10 197

34. Jonathan
Brown Illinois OLB 6'1 235

35. Antonio
Richardson Tennessee OT 6'6 332

36. De'Anthony
Thomas Oregon RB/
WR 5'9 181

37. Andrew
Jackson
Western
Kentucky ILB 6'1 262

38. Logan Thomas Virginia
Tech QB 6'6 260

39. Aaron Lynch Alabama DE 6'6 260

40. Bennett
Jackson Notre Dame CB 6'1 185

41. Kony Ealy Missouri DE 6'5 275

42. Trey DePriest Alabama LB 6'2 245

43. Shayne Skov Stanford ILB 6'3 244

44. Johnny
Manziel Texas A&M QB 6'1 200

45. Loucheiz
Purifoy Florida CB 6'1 189

46. Justin Gilbert Oklahoma
State CB 6'0 200

47. Zach
Mettenberger LSU QB 6'5 230

48. Ra'Shede
Hageman Minnesota DE 6'6 311

49. A.J. Johnson Tennessee OLB 6'2 240

50. Kareem Martin North
Carolina DE 6'6 250

This is the first concrete statement I've seen about the conditional pick in the Alex Smith trade: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130506/rookie-minicamps-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=uk_wr_a1

Peter King says the 49ers will get a 2nd round pick if the Chiefs go 8-8 or better, otherwise it's a 3rd rounder.
Originally posted by mkary12:

This is the first concrete statement I've seen about the conditional pick in the Alex Smith trade: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130506/rookie-minicamps-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=uk_wr_a1

Peter King says the 49ers will get a 2nd round pick if the Chiefs go 8-8 or better, otherwise it's a 3rd rounder.
Rooting for the Chief's to rack up the wins.

RB

How is RB on anyone's list at all?

The list is CB, CB, S, C, WR*, DE/DT**, OT,

*If Jenkins sucks.
**If Justin Smith leaves.

The real issue next year is going to be resigning/extending Aldon Smith, Iupati, and C. Kap.
[ Edited by bigwads on May 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM ]

No need for a rb we have a huge crop of rbs even if gore retires. receivers is a possible need depending how everyone plays next year. corner is a definite need next year so i hope we prioritize that first
Originally posted by gold49digger:

No need for a rb we have a huge crop of rbs even if gore retires. receivers is a possible need depending how everyone plays next year. corner is a definite need next year so i hope we prioritize that first

I made this comment before we wasted pick #131 on a broke knees RB... N I stick by it IOM we'll need to draft a RB next yr maybe not as high now ...I think CB will be our biggest need though along with S maybe even a C/G depending on what happens with looney N kilgore
Originally posted by tohara3:
Rooting for the Chief's to rack up the wins.

The way it is setup, the 49ers win pretty much eitherway. If the Chiefs bomb and do poorly, the 49ers get a very early 3rd rounder. If they excel and do well, the 49ers get a mid-late 2nd rounder.

Originally posted by gold49digger:

This. For 2014, I see the needs as follows:

1. CB
2. CB
3. CB
4. WR(If it looks like Crabtree won't be in SF long--term)
5. Safety
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. For 2014, I see the needs as follows:

1. CB
2. CB
3. CB
4. WR(If it looks like Crabtree won't be in SF long--term)
5. Safety

Pretty much, yeah.

its part of the reason we took Reid this year - so we aren't totally green in 2014. May have taken Cyprien at 34 if he was still there too
A lot can change in the course of a year. See the articles below about the top draft prospects in 2013 (published in 2012).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166124-best-2013-nfl-draft-prospect-on-every-college-football-team#/articles/1166124-best-2013-nfl-draft-prospect-on-every-college-football-team/page/2

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18906573/top-32-for-2013-barkley-headlines-a-class-that-already-looks-deep

What I hope is that our picks in 2012 and 2013 pan out, so that in 2014 we can address other positions early on that we haven't drafted for in recent years. I think CB should be high on the list. If AJ Jenkins and Quinton Patton do well, we can go after a shiftier,speedy type of receiver that has the ability to return punts and kicks (isn't Kyle Williams contract up this year?), tackle, and possibly safety. We could also possibly be looking for a kicker since Phil Dawson is on a one year deal. After that, it's all BPA.

8-8
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
A lot can change in the course of a year. See the articles below about the top draft prospects in 2013 (published in 2012).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166124-best-2013-nfl-draft-prospect-on-every-college-football-team#/articles/1166124-best-2013-nfl-draft-prospect-on-every-college-football-team/page/2

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18906573/top-32-for-2013-barkley-headlines-a-class-that-already-looks-deep

What I hope is that our picks in 2012 and 2013 pan out, so that in 2014 we can address other positions early on that we haven't drafted for in recent years. I think CB should be high on the list. If AJ Jenkins and Quinton Patton do well, we can go after a shiftier,speedy type of receiver that has the ability to return punts and kicks (isn't Kyle Williams contract up this year?), tackle, and possibly safety. We could also possibly be looking for a kicker since Phil Dawson is on a one year deal. After that, it's all BPA.

Yeah, a lot can change during the season. But I have to say a lot of draft analysts don't really do much work putting together pre-season lists, from what I can tell. Its mostly a collection of big names, not really based on watching players.

I have QB, RB and WR finished. Going to do Offensive lineman tonight and probably do defense on Thursday/Friday. Post Saturday.

Some general thoughts:
QB - Should be a deeper class than last draft. Before the season is played, I could see Bridgewater, Manziel, Murray going in the top 10. And then see Tajh Boyd and Derek Carr with a good chance to go in the first. The QB class is a bit undersized though (Manziel, Murray, Boyd are all 6'1). I'm not as big of a fan of Marriota, McCarron, Fales. Brett Hundley is a sleeper, if he comes out early he will shoot up draft boards (will be an elgible soph like Manziel).

WR - Looks like a bit of a down year in terms of depth. Marqise Lee and Sammy Watkins will be under a microscope to prove they are worth high picks. Despite their hype, both have to have great junior years to contend for top 10 status. Brandon Coleman is the wildcard who could potentially over take them due to his outstanding measurables, we will have to see how much he improves. Phillip Dorsett is a sleeper, pure speedster.

RB - MAJOR down year. Right now I'd say the weakest crop of senior RBs I can remember. A name to remember though is Marion Grice on ASU, he is my darkhorse pick at the position. Otherwise you are looking at guys like Ka'Deem Carey, DAT, and Seastrunk that can be weapons, but not even close to every down backs. A sleeper junior is George Atkinson III. I think Carey and DAT can definately be weapons on the NFL level, but will need to find OC's that can use them creatively.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on May 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone