There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Am I the only one expecting a pass rusher with pick 31 or 34?

Let me explain myself. Last year the Niners had great interest in Bruce Irvin. Obviously he did not end up a Niner but instead with the hawks. The team's desire for another explosive pass rusher will not have magically disappeared, especially after last post season. I'm expecting them to trade up a couple spots (5 max) to take Tank Carradine or a guy who will take a significant drop.

Taking a pass rusher only makes sense with the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning, Ryan in the NFC. Thoughts?
[ Edited by shaneblonien on Apr 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM ]
a rotation on the dline, and a healthy Haralson will increase the effectivness of the pass rush a ton. Rotation to keep justin and aldon fresh. If we had that last season and neither got hurt, it is likely we would have seen aldon break the sack record.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
a rotation on the dline, and a healthy Haralson will increase the effectivness of the pass rush a ton. Rotation to keep justin and aldon fresh. If we had that last season and neither got hurt, it is likely we would have seen aldon break the sack record.

I easily forget about Haralson. He's gonna help a ton. I was just so frustrated last year because I wanted Bruce Irvin to end up a Niner. And then the evil empire ended up with him :/ But I really want Carradine to end up a Niner.
[ Edited by shaneblonien on Apr 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM ]
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
I easily forget about Haralson. He's gonna help a ton. I was just so frustrated last year because I wanted Bruce Irvin to end up a Niner. And then the evil empire ended up with him :/ But I really wey give ant Carradine to end up a Niner.

I don't think we have to trade up to get him if that is who the niners want of course nothing is predictable in the draft, but I don't see anyone pulling a big trade where they mortguage their entire picks or future.
I hope we're smart N spend our first 4 picks on defense DE,S,CB,NT ..I think we have to be smart N give our defense youth N rotation... maybe even replacements for J.Smith whitener T.brown Rogers(maybe) N haralson ...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I hope we're smart N spend our first 4 picks on defense DE,S,CB,NT ..I think we have to be smart N give our defense youth N rotation... maybe even replacements for J.Smith whitener T.brown Rogers(maybe) N haralson ...

Defense makes the most sense to draft early. We have immediate needs at S and NT, and while the rest of the defense is solid upfront, the rest of the depthchart can be upgraded.

Offense is pretty set. WR position isaint set longterm, but in the short term it is pretty solid. Could use a TE, but both WR and TE have some oportunities in the mid rounds.

Later round picks should go to targeting impact ST players.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,931
Dont forget we get flemming and cam back healthy this offseason as well
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,293
I don't think your thinking right. We don't need a starter at OLB, just someone to add to the rotation.
Gun to head?

If really forced to make a prediction for # 31? I would have to say it will be:



Eric Reid {Louisiana State} S
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,293
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Gun to head?

If really forced to make a prediction for # 31? I would have to say it will be:



Eric Reid {Louisiana State} S


Yeah, I'm with you, Gibblets. I got a feeling it's him over Cyprien at 31.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Gun to head?

If really forced to make a prediction for # 31? I would have to say it will be:



Eric Reid {Louisiana State} S


Yeah, I'm with you, Gibblets. I got a feeling it's him over Cyprien at 31.

Agree as well--Two greatest needs--FS and DT/NT, means Reid because there will likely be fewer FSs after #31 than DT/NTs. So, Reid and then J Williams at #34. Unless they pick up Woodson...or...
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,049
No sir, you are not alone...
Yes, you are alone. Utterly alone..................just kidding.

Anything can happen. It will be interesting to see how Tank Carradine's workout is reviewed and the Niners reaction because they will be there.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Let me explain myself. Last year the Niners had great interest in Bruce Irvin. Obviously he did not end up a Niner but instead with the hawks. The team's desire for another explosive pass rusher will not have magically disappeared, especially after last post season. I'm expecting them to trade up a couple spots (5 max) to take Tank Carradine or a guy who will take a significant drop.

Taking a pass rusher only makes sense with the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning, Ryan in the NFC. Thoughts?

You are definitely not alone. I think we will take a "pass rusher", but I would be shocked if we took an OLB. Brooks and Aldon are part of the long term plan. With Haralson and last years picks of Fleming and Cam Johnson we are probably set at OLB.

I'm hoping we target a traditional 4-3 DE to play in our 4-down nickle alignment (which we use frequently). Someone that has the frame and skill-set to eventually play the 5-technique DE spot in our base defense.

Tank Carradine and Alex Okafor both fit this mold for me. I'd be thrilled if we picked either.

Imagine this as our nickle DL:

Carradine/Okafor, MacDonald, J. Smith, A. Smith

Brooks rotates in on the outside. Dorsey rotates in on the inside.
Of course Baalkee will pick a pass rusher... I would bet it's a DE though and not an OLB.