There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

D'Rick Rogers

I prefer DeAndre Hopkins ... he has great hands and run great routes with enough speed.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am not a fan of his, but this is a nice read on Rogers.

"And he made his way through a season at Tennessee Tech, a Football Championship Series program and several rungs down the competition ladder, with the stipulation that he take weekly drug tests and attend 100% of his classes. He did. He passed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/16/darick-rogers-nfl-draft/2089425/
Originally posted by buck:

"And he made his way through a season at Tennessee Tech, a Football Championship Series program and several rungs down the competition ladder, with the stipulation that he take weekly drug tests and attend 100% of his classes. He did. He passed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/16/darick-rogers-nfl-draft/2089425/

good read. what we all witnessed out of him was an ultra talented playmaker at a big time school make a mistake by failing a drug test. that kinda stuff happens, especially to a player that feels untouchable due to his talents on the field. playing at tennessee tech and dominating not only boosted his confidence, but it humbled him and brought him back to reality. having the kind of coaches we have, and all the focus from our players with one goal in mind, he may very well be the next Terrell Owens, minus the headaches.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

good read. what we all witnessed out of him was an ultra talented playmaker at a big time school make a mistake by failing a drug test. that kinda stuff happens, especially to a player that feels untouchable due to his talents on the field. playing at tennessee tech and dominating not only boosted his confidence, but it humbled him and brought him back to reality. having the kind of coaches we have, and all the focus from our players with one goal in mind, he may very well be the next Terrell Owens, minus the headaches.

More food for thought.... he got busted for smoking weed.... big deal. It's legal now in a couple states. Who cares if he smokes weed?

I'd be more concerned about work-ethic and being a good teammate. If he's all set on those fronts (which it sounds like he is), then WTF is the problem?
Originally posted by blm7754:

More food for thought.... he got busted for smoking weed.... big deal. It's legal now in a couple states. Who cares if he smokes weed?

I'd be more concerned about work-ethic and being a good teammate. If he's all set on those fronts (which it sounds like he is), then WTF is the problem?

the thing i read that i first heard about was him meeting with a sports psychologist. it seems he's real serious about having the right attitude to be a pro. he had attitude issues when he was a young buck at Tennessee but learned the playbook faster than most. he spent time jawing at opponents, but ran precise routes that takes younger receivers more time to learn.

this kid is so close to being complete and i feel our team is the best fit.
Originally posted by 9RVOLS:
Yup. He would have been the 1st receiver picked. All the physical tools that Patterson has and is much more polished. I scratch my head every time I see someone projecting him as a 3rd round pick. Character flaws will only cause a guy to fall so far.

When I see this guy play, he reminds me so much of TO. He's so physical against defenders and he has that rare size/speed combination too.

Despite all the character flaws, nobody can tell me they wouldn't draft a young TO again. The guy was unstoppable on the field and his off-the-field antics only became a real problem when the team around him started to fall apart. But we got a lot of great years from him before that happened.

I completely agree

I can... TO helped us win some games and then what? We're winning games without him. I would not gamble on this guy. Do not want TO 2.0.
Originally posted by 49erMike:
Yup. He would have been the 1st receiver picked. All the physical tools that Patterson has and is much more polished. I scratch my head every time I see someone projecting him as a 3rd round pick. Character flaws will only cause a guy to fall so far.

When I see this guy play, he reminds me so much of TO. He's so physical against defenders and he has that rare size/speed combination too.

Despite all the character flaws, nobody can tell me they wouldn't draft a young TO again. The guy was unstoppable on the field and his off-the-field antics only became a real problem when the team around him started to fall apart. But we got a lot of great years from him before that happened.

I completely agree

I can... TO helped us win some games and then what? We're winning games without him. I would not gamble on this guy. Do not want TO 2.0.

yea, we are NOW. how about the 8+ years without him?

the thing i read that i first heard about was him meeting with a sports psychologist. it seems he's real serious about having the right attitude to be a pro. he had attitude issues when he was a young buck at Tennessee but learned the playbook faster than most. he spent time jawing at opponents, but ran precise routes that takes younger receivers more time to learn.

this kid is so close to being complete and i feel our team is the best fit.

And what if, statistically speaking, we miss the playoffs and things go downhill? I hope people realize the 49ers have idiots on the team too that can lead him the wrong way. (Culliver)

I completely agree

yea, we are NOW. how about the 8+ years without him?

Do you seriously think our 8 years of losing was due to the lack of a player like Rogers/TO????? So it had nothing to do with incompetent coaching, new QB, and lack of overall quality players...
[ Edited by 49erMike on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM ]
And what if, statistically speaking, we miss the playoffs and things go downhill? I hope people realize the 49ers have idiots on the team too that can lead him the wrong way. (Culliver)

an ignorant statement made about one of our own. yes, cully made a mistake, but guess what....he's owning up to it. not only did he apologize for his remarks, but he's attending classes and joining programs to learn more about the gay community.
Do you seriously think our 8 years of losing was due to a lack of a player like Rogers?

no, what i'm saying is that we lost a playmaker and that was one of the reasons for our demise. now, we have ourselves a great vet team that should contend in the playoffs. we've got a LOAD of draft picks to be able to take a risk on a talent like Rogers, who has shown maturity after his departure from Tennessee.

an ignorant statement made about one of our own. yes, cully made a mistake, but guess what....he's owning up to it. not only did he apologize for his remarks, but he's attending classes and joining programs to learn more about the gay community.

You're funny. You think Culliver voluntarily enrolled in those classes?? Not ALL 49ers are great people. My comments are not ignorant. They simply point out the truth. You are obviously a blind homer that can't see people for what they are or portray themselves to be.

I completely agree

Bad argument. We are also winning now without Joe Montana. So what? You draft players that can help you win now.

Does our future depend on us drafting Da'Rick Rogers? Of course not. But you could say that about anybody in any draft.

So Culliver is a bad guy now?

Just because he made an ignorant statement doesn't mean he's a bad guy... or that he'd be a bad influence on our team. It just means he's ignorant. If you were personally offended by his remarks, that's your business. It doesn't have any relevance on this discussion.
Bad argument. We are also winning now without Joe Montana. So what? You draft players that can help you win now.

Does our future depend on us drafting Da'Rick Rogers? Of course not. But you could say that about anybody in any draft.

How so? My argument is that Rogers can also potentially hurt our team just like TO. You said that "No one" can tell you they would not draft a young TO. I just told you I wouldn't and why.