There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Honey Badger at the FS position??

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Wacha all think of this?

Since the report is that he's more than quick than fast, would it be a bad idea to draft him in the mid 2nd round and play him at the FS position??

If he gets stronger then maybe, but otherwise it's a big fat NO.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Wacha all think of this?

Since the report is that he's more than quick than fast, would it be a bad idea to draft him in the mid 2nd round and play him at the FS position??

That would be my plan and dream scenario. if im not mistaken he was heisman finalist at safety. IN THE SEC. why all these pundits only see him as a nickel CB is beyond me.

They say his size. Screw that he proved he can play top notch safety.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Wacha all think of this?

That would be my plan and dream scenario. if im not mistaken he was heisman finalist at safety. IN THE SEC. why all these pundits only see him as a nickel CB is beyond me.

I think he may have played a single game at safety at LSU.
no.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
I think he may have played a single game at safety at LSU.

then i sand corrected. thought for sure he was listed as a FS after the '11 season.
Under-sized? Yes
Athletic? No
Hard hitter? Yes
Good pass defender? No
Drug addict? Maybe
Cool nickname? Yes
Over-rated? YES

Really he's an undersized strong safety, rather than a great pass defender.
Maybe OK pick in 4th rd
WHY?????? How would he cover big TE's???????? What's wrong with using him where he excels (if we get him)???????
Wow. Does anybody consider the Baalke knew Goldson was going to bolt last year after signing his 1 year deal. Just an assumption but I think they have known for 2 years they were researching their future FS.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

Weed, weed, weed, and short.
I like him at cb personally.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Wow. Does anybody consider the Baalke knew Goldson was going to bolt last year after signing his 1 year deal. Just an assumption but I think they have known for 2 years they were researching their future FS.

N-O, NO. Dashon had always wanted to stay with the 9ers. He is a top safety in the league no matter how you cut it. The 9ers knew that, but they couldn't afford to pay everybody and needed more time to think, so they tagged him last year. They also knew how much he would be worth once he hit the open market this time around. And true enough, bang !! The Bucs showed huge love and there you go Dashon, here is $8.25 mil. Bottomline, as it turns out the 9ers wanted to pay Anthony Davis instead.

So, here we are in this secondary situation. Are we going to be able to land Eric Reid ? I don't know. Are we going to be able to land David Amerson ? I also don't know. Are they going to be better than Dashon ? I doubt it, at least not right away. If we draft a safety and/or even a corner, will it have major repercussions on our ability of drafting a top wideout and TE ? Yes, very much so.

But, back to the subject of the "Honey Badger", I believe there are 2 groups of fans, well either you are huge supporter of Mathieu or you belong to the Eric Reid + David Amerson camp. As for me, I am of the latter, Reid and Amerson all the way !! My rationale has been pretty much covered by maxsmart.
Except the could have tagged him one more time
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Except the could have tagged him one more time

Yes, that's true. But, I figure the 9ers don't want to be completely mean, they weren't committed to him so why ruin his big pay day ? Afterall, Dashon had contributed a lot to the team and well-liked by many in the locker room.

Personally ? I think it was a mistake to let him go. We could have cut Whitner and Rogers in order to keep him, then replaced by drafting at least 1 high DB draft such as Reid or Amerson. Could you imagine if we had a safety tandem in Dashon + Reid / Amerson in the backfield ?! Wow !! But, hey could have, would have, is all history now. Just too bad.
Yeah I like it. But I think I want him and Nnamdi starting at CB, Rogers in the slot.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home