LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 149 users in the forums

Who needs to be off the board for us to trade #31 for a 1 next year?

Everyone keeps stating that the value in this years draft is in rounds 2-3. If we can trade #31 to some craptastic team for their 1 next year, and a third THIS year, we could be up around the top of next year's draft, and still recoup a valuable pick this year. That having been said, their are some exciting talents that may help our team get a ring this year that could still be on the board at #31. So, who needs to be gone when we are on the clock (that might reasonably be available at #31) for you to feel good about trading away #31?

My list:

Keenan Allen
Tyler Eifert
Datone Jones

(edit: I wanted the accompanying 3rd to be in THIS year's draft, and not next year's, if possible)
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM ]
Datone Jones.

But IF a team offered us a #1 next year...and even if he is on the board at #31 which is unlikely, I still say trade #31 for a #1 next year with whatever "craptastic" team wants to move up. There is just way TOO much value in getting a 2014 1st from one of those teams. Then if we must, trade #128 to the Raven to move up to #32 from #34 and guarantee we get Jones anyway. But I think Jones will be long gone by #31. I think if Jones is there at #20 - #23 we should trade #74 with #34 (not #31) to get him. The guy is a monster. That would still still give us options with #31.
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Datone Jones.

But IF a team offered us a #1 next year...and even if he is on the board at #31 which is unlikely, I still say trade #31 for a #1 next year with whatever "craptastic" team wants to move up. There is just way TOO much value in getting a 2014 1st from one of those teams. Then if we must, trade #128 to the Raven to move up to #32 from #34 and guarantee we get Jones anyway. But I think Jones will be long gone by #31. I think if Jones is there at #20 - #23 we should trade #74 with #34 (not #31) to get him. The guy is a monster. That would still still give us options with #31.

Yeah, it was really difficult for me to think of guys that I really wanted, but who would make it to 31 for sure. This depth of this draft makes the order of picks seem so much harder to predict than in previous drafts, because so many picks seem likely to come down to scheme or personnel preference. I really want a top 5 or 10 pick next year, but I also don't want to miss out on that ring this year. I get what you are saying, though; if the right bottom-feeder comes calling, that 1 next year is tough to pass up.
I have this scary feeling that Sylvester williams is high on thebboard. I'm just not wowed by him, so my list is

Jones, S. Williams, Hopkins, Eifert, and J. Banks being gone will have team trade down or out.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I have this scary feeling that Sylvester williams is high on thebboard. I'm just not wowed by him, so my list is

Jones, S. Williams, Hopkins, Eifert, and J. Banks being gone will have team trade down or out.

Interesting. I thought of those 2 as solid 2nd round guys, but it's like I said: this draft is pretty tough to predict. I have seen some drafts where all of the guys you listed are gone in the first. I really like Banks.
For me, the only reason we wouldn't seriously consider moving down is if Vacarro, Richardson, and Jones were available, which is highly unlikely. Obviously, those guys would warrant 'high 1st round grades' anyway, so there's obvious value in taking them. But in the likely case of the three of them being gone, then I think we definitely entertain offers.

I'm hoping that Nassib, Manuel, and Barkley are all available (or 2 of them) when we pick, and the Jets, Cardinals, Bills, Jaguars, Chiefs, Raiders, or other QB 'have-nots' try to move up and snag one of those guys. That's what I'm hoping for in the draft, other than landing Vacarro, Richardson, or Jones.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM ]
I'd prefer a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. So we'd essentially be trading down about 10 spots in exchange for a 2nd rounder next year.
For me... Ertz, Eifert, Cyprien, Datone & Rhodes. I want one of those 5!!! Others I want I know will be long gone by 30th pick.
I hope we keep our first 3 picks .....this is a very deep draft , there is only a handful of players I would sacrifice our early draft picks to move up for , and those players would be gone before the #15 overall
Don't know enough about college ball to speculate on specific players, but I think the main issue is which team wants to trade their first next year.

If the Pats or Broncos want to trade and we have a player we quite like there I would take the player, unless the offer was spectacularly good. We desperately need Safety (I think this could be our No1 priority now) and D-line help.

However, if the Jags or Raiders wanted to trade I would take it in a second, even if there was a top 15/20 D-line prospect there. Everything I've read about this draft indicates that the top 15 players aren't that special and so even if one fell to us I think we could use that as leverage for a rebuilding team's 2014 1st

Originally posted by kunged:
Don't know enough about college ball to speculate on specific players, but I think the main issue is which team wants to trade their first next year.

If the Pats or Broncos want to trade and we have a player we quite like there I would take the player, unless the offer was spectacularly good. We desperately need Safety (I think this could be our No1 priority now) and D-line help.

However, if the Jags or Raiders wanted to trade I would take it in a second, even if there was a top 15/20 D-line prospect there. Everything I've read about this draft indicates that the top 15 players aren't that special and so even if one fell to us I think we could use that as leverage for a rebuilding team's 2014 1st

I agree. That's why I used the term "craptastic." My doubts about trading back are due to the emphasis on getting the ring this year. I wanted to know who, if any, the players were that fellow Zoners would think might push us over the top as 1st round picks.
Share 49ersWebzone