LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Glaring hole that we're taking for granted

• irief
  • Veteran
One position that is being overlooked by many of these mocks Offensive Tackle depth. Niners don't have any quality depth at this position. There is some depth at G, but not OT. Only plausible scenario right now for OT depth would be A Boone, and back fill LG with Looney/Kilgore. This is less than ideal. Expect Baalke to go after a quality OT from 3rd on.

Any quality prospects you guys can throw out there?
the biggest names will be gone before we look for a tackle ...but that doesnt mean we wont find a serviceable tackle in the draft ...we have quality scouts and coaches that will fill out our roster with the best players we can find
Reid Fragel {Ohio State} OT ------------ 4th rd
Jordan Mills {Louisiana Tech} OT ------ 4th rd

^ get one of these guys with the late 4th rounder.
I don't think it's being ignored. Most mock drafts have us taking a T in the mid-late rounds. I have seen Fragel Mocked to us A LOT. It also depends on how the staff feels about Netter's progress. Last I heard, they were pretty high on him.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I don't think it's being ignored. Most mock drafts have us taking a T in the mid-late rounds. I have seen Fragel Mocked to us A LOT. It also depends on how the staff feels about Netter's progress. Last I heard, they were pretty high on him.

Not that it means he'll be out on his arse, but... noteworthy perhaps.

(roto)

49ers OG Al Netter was arrested Wednesday on DUI charges in San Jose.

Netter, a 2012 undrafted free agent out of Northwestern, spent last season on the 49ers' practice squad and re-upped on a future contract in February. The offseason arrest will hurt Netter's chances of making the 2013 roster. Feb 23
Not a big deal at all.

Boone would slide over to OT and Looney would slide in at RG. Done.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Not that it means he'll be out on his arse, but... noteworthy perhaps.

(roto)

49ers OG Al Netter was arrested Wednesday on DUI charges in San Jose.

Netter, a 2012 undrafted free agent out of Northwestern, spent last season on the 49ers' practice squad and re-upped on a future contract in February. The offseason arrest will hurt Netter's chances of making the 2013 roster. Feb 23

Harbaugh got nailed for a DUI a few years back. I don't think he's the hypocritical type who would cut a kid for making a mistake that he made while he was a lot older.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The Glory Hole

That's the perfect spot to find our swing tackle. Another name I'm keeping an eye on in that range is big Chris Faulk from LSU. Considering you are the webzones resident Louisianan, what do you think of Faulk?

This is definitely one option, and I'd actually like to see Boone back at his natural Tackle position. Either way we need a serviceable body up front. Figure Looney or Kilgore take over the C position at some point, the other provides depth at guard. A swing linemen is definitely in need.

Originally posted by kush:

That's the perfect spot to find our swing tackle. Another name I'm keeping an eye on in that range is big Chris Faulk from LSU. Considering you are the webzones resident Louisianan, what do you think of Faulk?

I'd have listed him too, but I see him going in the late 3rd or early 4th at the latest. If we selected him at the back end of rd 3, I think he'd be worth it.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Not a big deal at all.

This
David Quessenberry from SJ State. Should be a solid 4th round prospect. Good pass blocker.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Not a big deal at all.

This is not an ideal situation and should be avoided. Proper depth should not require reshuffles, especially at critical positions.
  • irief
  • Veteran
There have been many quality offensive lineman drafted after the first/second round, including hall of famers. Examples: Larry Allen, Matt Birk, etc...

Even the niners have found quality OL late in the draft: Jesse Sopolu, E Heitman, A Boone.

I'm sure there is some quality depth at OT in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone