There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jessie Williams just makes sense for us in the first round.

Originally posted by reasonable1:
Ok, I am completely lost on the logic of this board.

Hardly anyone likes John Jenkins for the EXACT SAME REASON they love Jesse Williams.

Is it because Bama beat Georgia?? Or is it some other reason??

Truth told...John Jenkins fits what we do because not only is he a run stuffer, but he is a very quick short area pass rusher who gets great penetration.

Please someone help me understand.

You got it. I don't get the love for Jesse Williams either.... I mean, he is very powerful. He is very athletic for his size. But he flat out SUCKS at shedding blockers and has terrible pass rushing technique.

I think Williams is valued for his upside. His shortcomings are coachable. He hasn't been around football all that long. He could develop into a very good player. But right now, he's just a run stuffer.

Jenkins is the better player now IMO, but Williams has more upside. I would avoid both and get a guy like Brandon Williams at 61 instead.
Originally posted by blm7754:
You got it. I don't get the love for Jesse Williams either.... I mean, he is very powerful. He is very athletic for his size. But he flat out SUCKS at shedding blockers and has terrible pass rushing technique.

I think Williams is valued for his upside. His shortcomings are coachable. He hasn't been around football all that long. He could develop into a very good player. But right now, he's just a run stuffer.

Jenkins is the better player now IMO, but Williams has more upside. I would avoid both and get a guy like Brandon Williams at 61 instead.

I disagree. I think Williams is both the better player and the better prospect. Jenkins is limited conditioning wise, he's a 2 down NT whereas Williams can be a 3 down player. Both play with a high motor, however Jenkins has a tendency to wear down pretty quickly and simply start leaning on his opponents. Williams, as you mentioned, also has significant upside, he's been playing football for a limited time, yes he doesn't bring much as a pass rusher, but you're not asking him to, you're asking him to consistently tie up multiple blockers and to simply take up a s**tload of space and use his strength to simply bullrush through guys and make stops, preventing teams from gashing you up the middle with the run and freeing up linebackers to make plays. Williams also credibly can play on the outside in a run-stuffing role. There's plenty of reasons why Williams is still widely considered a late 1st rounder and Jenkins is plummeting on many draft boards. There's simply so much more you can do with Williams and more potential for him to develop into a truly dominant player.
2nd round pick maybe, not sold on him might have peaked
Impressive write up
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-alabama-dt-jesse-williams-051145928--nfl.html
You guys are crazy.
Doesn't Baalke like college production?
Where on earth is his production?
In 2 seasons at Alabama, he amassed:
17 solo tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, and 0 fumble recoveries?
Absolutely NO WAY we take him in the 1st round.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I disagree. I think Williams is both the better player and the better prospect. Jenkins is limited conditioning wise, he's a 2 down NT whereas Williams can be a 3 down player. Both play with a high motor, however Jenkins has a tendency to wear down pretty quickly and simply start leaning on his opponents. Williams, as you mentioned, also has significant upside, he's been playing football for a limited time, yes he doesn't bring much as a pass rusher, but you're not asking him to, you're asking him to consistently tie up multiple blockers and to simply take up a s**tload of space and use his strength to simply bullrush through guys and make stops, preventing teams from gashing you up the middle with the run and freeing up linebackers to make plays. Williams also credibly can play on the outside in a run-stuffing role. There's plenty of reasons why Williams is still widely considered a late 1st rounder and Jenkins is plummeting on many draft boards. There's simply so much more you can do with Williams and more potential for him to develop into a truly dominant player.

For all the reasoning you gave for drafting Williams...is all the reasons for drafting Jenkins. Only, with Jenkins, you are getting the athlete. Jenkins is a very good penetrator along with his ability to tie up multiple blockers. He probably could stand to drop a few pounds, but that is about all you can say in the negative in Jenkins' case. Jenkins also played a 5 tech at Georgia when Kwame Gathers was in the game so he is versatile in that regard. I just happen to be under the impression that people are looking at Jenkins weight aspect and think he is a low motor, out of shape player. When nothing could be further from the truth.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
You guys are crazy.
Doesn't Baalke like college production?
Where on earth is his production?
In 2 seasons at Alabama, he amassed:
17 solo tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles, and 0 fumble recoveries?
Absolutely NO WAY we take him in the 1st round.

Just to clarify...in assessing the two tackles. I went by the eye test and the fact that both were playing essentially the same position. But the eye test is what sold me on Jenkins moreso than Williams. I happen to think Williams would be a solid 3rd round pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Impressive write up
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-alabama-dt-jesse-williams-051145928--nfl.html

Thanks, Hoovtrain. Real nice article. Got to get this guy.
Although I like the comparison, his lack of production does scare me considering he had a strong supporting cast, I would much rather have Kawann Short, better pass rusher at this point, real disruptive in the backfield pretty good stats in his sr yr too, pretty consistent,
The senior totaled 43 tackles, 15.5 tackles for a loss, seven sacks, four passes broken up, four blocked kicks and a forced fumble in 2012. He had a good showing at the Senior Bowl, but was unable to run at the Combine because of an injury
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Not with our first pick. We re-signed Ian Williams and got Dorsey, Yolo wouldn't even play much. Our first pick should be a difference maker that actually contributes this year unlike last years first pick (Austin) and our second pick should be a safety, Cyprien or Reid. These guys would make a difference. Im sure we can get someone in the third like Brandon Williams to take up blockers

Rather have B. Williams in third as well. I agree that our 2nd pick should be Reid or Cyprien. I like both guys. Would love to get Vaccaro tho, wishlist tho. If we could trade up for Austin, that would be great but id trade up for Vaccaro before Austin simply because thats where the hole is
I think you are tremendously short-changing him. Williams is talented and rare enough to be a credible potential starter at either DE or NT with good size for both positions. No he's not much of a pass rusher but he's a guy who was one of the top defensive players on the best defense in college football. He's someone who truly can be a difference maker and would greatly improve the depth and effectiveness of the 49ers defensive line.

Nothing against him per se. I'm no scout, and everything I've read about Williams leads me to believe he has a very high ceiling. My problem is more with the position. The position just is losing a lot of value with all of the nickel teams play today.

If he's an elite talent like Wilfork or Ngata I think you can justify the pick otherwise I'd wait because it's a deep class and some of these guys will fall.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Rather have B. Williams in third as well. I agree that our 2nd pick should be Reid or Cyprien. I like both guys. Would love to get Vaccaro tho, wishlist tho. If we could trade up for Austin, that would be great but id trade up for Vaccaro before Austin simply because thats where the hole is

Brandon Williams in the 3rd? Apparently you're still stuck in December. He's moved up to anywhere between early to late 2nd round consideration. He'll be gone by the 49ers pick in the late 2nd most likely....so realistically its Jesse Williams in the 1st or you take some random project like Geathers late in the draft who likely won't turn out to be much of anything.
I think you are tremendously short-changing him. Williams is talented and rare enough to be a credible potential starter at either DE or NT with good size for both positions. No he's not much of a pass rusher but he's a guy who was one of the top defensive players on the best defense in college football. He's someone who truly can be a difference maker and would greatly improve the depth and effectiveness of the 49ers defensive line.

No he's not. Williams is not rare. Kawaan Short and Syl Will are both better. Just because he lines up head to head with the center doesn't make him that elusive black hole NT. That being said Williams is good. I think he needs to get stronger but in a one gap system he can be successful. The fact of the matter is 1st rd DT need to have one of two qualities, exceptional pass rushing ability or exceptional two gap management. J Will may be the latter but.Ive seen games where he clearly is not so I don't think hes worth a 1st rd or the KC 2nd.
Brandon Williams in the 3rd? Apparently you're still stuck in December. He's moved up to anywhere between early to late 2nd round consideration. He'll be gone by the 49ers pick in the late 2nd most likely....so realistically its Jesse Williams in the 1st or you take some random project like Geathers late in the draft who likely won't turn out to be much of anything.

What makes you so sure geathers is a bust and williams is a blue chip