There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Now this is a mock draft....

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Niners haven't taken a S in 1st rd since '92...doesn't mean they couldn't go for one this draft, but it's not their normal pattern. I agree, one of the best DL is a must at #31...then we can talk S, TE, or even another DL at #34. We could arguably get Phillip Thomas in late 2nd rd...dude's a baller and the kind of playmaker we need at FS. So long as Baalke comes out of the draft with 2 very good DL, 2 S, a CB, very good TE, OT, possibly LB depth, possibly WR depth, I'll be happy. Many ways to get there and even stockpile a couple picks for 2014.

Great insight. We have to consider who is now at the head of the 49ers front office. Trent Baalke has gone against conventional wisdom in the past two drafts. Nobody seen the selection of Aldon Smith coming, nobody seen AJ Jenkins coming, heck nobody seen Chris Culliver coming!

The Niners draft history in previous regimes has little to do with the new regimes mentality and conventional wisdom.

Good points though.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Draft that goes against conventional thinking.

No way Tavon Austin goes top 6.

Star Louteleli has been cleared, will not fall out of top 10.

No TE's in round 1, should be good news for pick 34 for niners.

This is a qb driven league, predicting 3 qb's gp in roound 1, only because the salary commitment is not as large. Smith, Barkley, Nassib.

hate the pick for the niners. Which means it might happen. I want DE pass rush at pick 31.

You see the price tag the Mike Wallace's, Percy Harvins and Victor Cruz's off the worlds have received and requested..... Their is a reason they are in high demand and my shocker is Tavon Austin who can be a similar threat will be drafted in the top 10 for those reasons. That is going to be the top 10 draft shocker.

And in my previous post, the Niners have gone against conventional wisdom in this regime and its unpredictable to know who they are exactly targeting.

Also on the point of the TE... Last year many thought Coby Fleener was a shoe in for a top 20 pick because of his talents, but he fell to round 2. There is plenty Hype on TEs every year but consistently you see teams rather draft them in round 2 or lower than in round 1.

Anybody else have thoughts feedback on this mock draft; FAROSportstalk.webs.com
Don't like the Cyprien pick in the 1st. He's a good player but I don't trust him in coverage against elite receivers and QB's. Way too many good safeties in this draft to imo reach for Cyprien.
Originally posted by kronik:
Don't like the Cyprien pick in the 1st. He's a good player but I don't trust him in coverage against elite receivers and QB's. Way too many good safeties in this draft to imo reach for Cyprien.

Agreed. He looks more like a SS then a FS. He doesn't have the range to play FS.
I like the Caroline Panthers

that site did a solid job, really
more like SPAM
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I would be happy if we drafted Sheldon Richardson or Sylvester Williams .....D-Line help should be a priority with one of our first 2 picks

no way FS is the #1 need, DE is #2
Originally posted by valrod33:
more like SPAM

Lulz. Isn't this the guy with all the "inside sources"?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
that site did a solid job, really

Thank you.

Cyprien is a much better Ball Hawk than Whitner is. So he is not a SS only type he is versatile and can play bout FS/SS. I watched game tape of him against Lousiville, where it looked like he was the only one playing on defense. He was everywhere on the field.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kentc1978:
Agreed. He looks more like a SS then a FS. He doesn't have the range to play FS.

He is a strong safety.
With the way you have the draft falling, Cyprien is a solid enough pick. Nice work.

If it were me I would place a higher value on the DL. Datone Jones is still available under your scenario, so he would be my choice. I just don't believe that a safety is intrinsicly as high a "value" proposition. A DE who can bring pressure and is stout against the run is a better choice here IMO. Safety in the seond round or later.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by kentc1978:

He is a strong safety.

I strongly disagree. His range is as good as any safety in this draft IMO although its hard to compare him to Vaccaro who played a ton of slot CB this year.
and then datone jones at 34 unless we can trade back a couple picks and get him
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Niners haven't taken a S in 1st rd since '92...doesn't mean they couldn't go for one this draft, but it's not their normal pattern. I agree, one of the best DL is a must at #31...then we can talk S, TE, or even another DL at #34. We could arguably get Phillip Thomas in late 2nd rd...dude's a baller and the kind of playmaker we need at FS. So long as Baalke comes out of the draft with 2 very good DL, 2 S, a CB, very good TE, OT, possibly LB depth, possibly WR depth, I'll be happy. Many ways to get there and even stockpile a couple picks for 2014.

The front office has pretty much completely changed several times since then though. I dont think I really want a FS at #31 but I wouldn't be upset with Reid or Cyprien. I'd still rather get Amerson or Thomas in the third.