There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I know he's 26 years old BUT......

I think this Margus Hunt 6'8 277lbs DE from SMU is a MONSTER!!! I easily think he's worth our 2nd rounder number 61, We can easily get 5 to 7 years of BEEF Production at 3-4 DE position!! Him being 26 makes him scary as a 1st, but investing a late 2nd for him to me and shoring up a trouble spot with nice depth!! This guy has OLD MAN strength ala COWBOY. I hope 9ers get him late 2nd or later.
come on, man. we already have a Hunt thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/169105-margus-hunt-de-smu/

I think he'll keep falling into the mid-late 2nd round.

If we could get him in the 3rd - maybe.
For those old enough to remember, Pierce Holt was also 26 when the 49ers drafted him.. He contributed about 4-5 good years before leaving as a FA.

Not feeling Hunt at 31 or 34, but could see draftting him bit later.. This may require some manuevering on Baalke's part.
Hey, when anyone gives you heck about Hunt's age, just bring up Sylvester Williams, the DT/DE from North Carolina who will be 25 this year. A bunch of people in the draft forum have been touting him as a must have in the 1st or early 2nd round. And Ezekiel Ansah, who is only 6 months younger than Williams, is a sure 1st rounder in most projections. Please note also that in all of these cases, and especially for Hunt and Ansah, they're years younger in actual football years than most if not all of the 21-23 year olds being drafted.
Originally posted by ColdFan:
Hey, when anyone gives you heck about Hunt's age, just bring up Sylvester Williams, the DT/DE from North Carolina who will be 25 this year. A bunch of people in the draft forum have been touting him as a must have in the 1st or early 2nd round. And Ezekiel Ansah, who is only 6 months younger than Williams, is a sure 1st rounder in most projections. Please note also that in all of these cases, and especially for Hunt and Ansah, they're years younger in actual football years than most if not all of the 21-23 year olds being drafted.

That's the point. Their body has the aging of an older player, without the experience. By the time he has the experience of an avg. 23 yo, he'll be 28. 5 years is a lifetime in the NFL. It's not a deal breaker, but it's clearly a consideration.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
come on, man. we already have a Hunt thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/169105-margus-hunt-de-smu/

use the search function. it is hard enough to follow a discussion when it is centralized in one thread.

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
That's the point. Their body has the aging of an older player, without the experience. By the time he has the experience of an avg. 23 yo, he'll be 28. 5 years is a lifetime in the NFL. It's not a deal breaker, but it's clearly a consideration.

Not all ages are the same. A 25 year old, 5 year NFL vet, has much more tread on his tires than a 25 year old rookie.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Not all ages are the same. A 25 year old, 5 year NFL vet, has much more tread on his tires than a 25 year old rookie.

I don't buy that argument. 25 years old is 25 years old. The guy is an athlete right? It's not like he's never been outside of a 24 hour fitness. He's a serious athlete. Which means he's put his body through the gauntlet just like any other athlete his age.

You have to look at injury history, cause you can get hurt in any serious athletic activity... not just football. Magus Hunt was a junior olympic thrower, right? And I'm sure other sports as well. Ever had a shoulder injury? Pretty common for throwers, and certainly can cause problems for defensive lineman.
Originally posted by dhp318:

dont you want your tires to have tread on them?
I like him and don't think you shy away just because he is 26. He can play good until 33 or 34. You can get some time out him. He's big and athletic. You can't teach that.