Originally posted by ninergold:
There's no way Rogers survives, with that monster contract. They will have to rebuild the secondary soon. Given the safety crop this year, it will probably start this year.
A lot of positions need to start this year. That is why I believe that this years draft is critical to ensuring the team's viability going forward. One cannot expect rookies to step in and contribute at a high level immediately, they need at least one year to "bed in". Rookies can and do "blow it up", but this should not be counted on (see A. Jenkins). Niners needs by position in this draft, in order of importance IMO:
1. DE who will serve as replacment/ rotation as older guys slow down. Without front line pressure and containment, dbs will continue to look bad and LBs cannot do their job effectively.
2. Safety. Someone needs to be both the enforcer and QB for the backfield and have coverage skills as well (trade off with LBs on covering TEs, for example). Whitner cannot do all of this well enough.
3. OLB. Niners have great OLBs, but they need to be spelled, otherwise they break down towards the end of season. Effective pash rushing is arguably the most critical component of an effective defense.
4. Corner. Cannot have enough cover guys as offenses start poliferating with multiple receivers. This team does not have enough and noone that is truly top-tier, for whom the search must go on. Like you, I believe that Rogers is not deserving of the money he is due to make.
5. WR. The Niners have noone who can adequately stretch the opponent's defense. Maybe Jenkins, maybe Lockette (a crapshoot here). Also need to ensure that someone will be able to step in for Boldin. And possibly Crabtree if he decides he want's too much money.
6. TE. Someone to fill in for the loss of Delanie. But better (Kelce, or Reed??). I feel that Garrett will step it up this year also.
7. QB. Someone raw with a full complement of skills in case the starter is critically damaged. The team has to groom and be prepared for all contingencies at the most critical position on the roster, BY FAR.
8. RB. Gore replacement for the future.