LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Who will be are replacements for next year's free agent departures?

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Goodwin, Whitner and Haralson can walk. Goodwin is the only one I would keep, but at right price.

Retain Justin Smith, best 3-4 DE in the game IMO and our leader, cant let him leave.

Retain Boldin, Manningham and try Brown, if not then we draft a top CB in 2014 draft.

Extend Tolzien on a 3yr deal, maybe this year, similar to Ian Williams' deal. Probably wouldn't happen till after draft and training camp, to see if he is the #2 QB for sure.

As for replacements, hopefully Cam or Fleming for Haralson, but draft a real pass rusher. Whitner by a rookie or vet, and Goodwin by Looney or Kilgore.

Wow you're one of the only people I've seen who thinks he's better than Watt.. This isn't really the thread for this question, but what makes him better than Watt in your opinion?
There's no way Rogers survives, with that monster contract. They will have to rebuild the secondary soon. Given the safety crop this year, it will probably start this year.
Originally posted by ninergold:
There's no way Rogers survives, with that monster contract. They will have to rebuild the secondary soon. Given the safety crop this year, it will probably start this year.

A lot of positions need to start this year. That is why I believe that this years draft is critical to ensuring the team's viability going forward. One cannot expect rookies to step in and contribute at a high level immediately, they need at least one year to "bed in". Rookies can and do "blow it up", but this should not be counted on (see A. Jenkins). Niners needs by position in this draft, in order of importance IMO:

1. DE who will serve as replacment/ rotation as older guys slow down. Without front line pressure and containment, dbs will continue to look bad and LBs cannot do their job effectively.

2. Safety. Someone needs to be both the enforcer and QB for the backfield and have coverage skills as well (trade off with LBs on covering TEs, for example). Whitner cannot do all of this well enough.

3. OLB. Niners have great OLBs, but they need to be spelled, otherwise they break down towards the end of season. Effective pash rushing is arguably the most critical component of an effective defense.

4. Corner. Cannot have enough cover guys as offenses start poliferating with multiple receivers. This team does not have enough and noone that is truly top-tier, for whom the search must go on. Like you, I believe that Rogers is not deserving of the money he is due to make.

5. WR. The Niners have noone who can adequately stretch the opponent's defense. Maybe Jenkins, maybe Lockette (a crapshoot here). Also need to ensure that someone will be able to step in for Boldin. And possibly Crabtree if he decides he want's too much money.

6. TE. Someone to fill in for the loss of Delanie. But better (Kelce, or Reed??). I feel that Garrett will step it up this year also.

7. QB. Someone raw with a full complement of skills in case the starter is critically damaged. The team has to groom and be prepared for all contingencies at the most critical position on the roster, BY FAR.

8. RB. Gore replacement for the future.
It will be VERY interesting as far as Dawson goes.

1 years deal - do we drafta kicker anyway? If yes, who and when?
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
A lot of positions need to start this year. That is why I believe that this years draft is critical to ensuring the team's viability going forward. One cannot expect rookies to step in and contribute at a high level immediately, they need at least one year to "bed in". Rookies can and do "blow it up", but this should not be counted on (see A. Jenkins). Niners needs by position in this draft, in order of importance IMO:

1. DE who will serve as replacment/ rotation as older guys slow down. Without front line pressure and containment, dbs will continue to look bad and LBs cannot do their job effectively.

2. Safety. Someone needs to be both the enforcer and QB for the backfield and have coverage skills as well (trade off with LBs on covering TEs, for example). Whitner cannot do all of this well enough.

3. OLB. Niners have great OLBs, but they need to be spelled, otherwise they break down towards the end of season. Effective pash rushing is arguably the most critical component of an effective defense.

4. Corner. Cannot have enough cover guys as offenses start poliferating with multiple receivers. This team does not have enough and noone that is truly top-tier, for whom the search must go on. Like you, I believe that Rogers is not deserving of the money he is due to make.

5. WR. The Niners have noone who can adequately stretch the opponent's defense. Maybe Jenkins, maybe Lockette (a crapshoot here). Also need to ensure that someone will be able to step in for Boldin. And possibly Crabtree if he decides he want's too much money.

6. TE. Someone to fill in for the loss of Delanie. But better (Kelce, or Reed??). I feel that Garrett will step it up this year also.

7. QB. Someone raw with a full complement of skills in case the starter is critically damaged. The team has to groom and be prepared for all contingencies at the most critical position on the roster, BY FAR.

8. RB. Gore replacement for the future.
Hmmmm, my order is
1. Safety. Replace G and Whitner has a year left.
2. DE. we can go with a raw, high ceiling guy to ease in.
3 NT. Not sold on Ian or Dorsey
4. Corner. last year for Brown, Rogers on his way out, Culliver?
5. WR. They take time to develop and I don't think we'll resign Crabs, he'll want Goldson $$.
6. TE. Replace Delanie
7. QB. Could pick a late round raw, high ceiling guy.
8. RB. Replace Dixon, he's maxed out and can't consistently get the tough yard.
9. OL. Groom to replace one or two of the superstars we won't be able to afford to keep.
10. OLB. already have two great ones
Share 49ersWebzone