There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What position is worth trading up for and who would you pick.

What position is worth trading up for and who would you pick.

49ers are setting the table for a great draft.

By adding Asomugha, Dorsey, Dahl and Boldin, the 9ers reduce their immediate needs to three:

#2 TE to replace Walker

FS to replace Goldson (compete with Dahl)

NT to replace Sopoaga (Dorsey replaces RJF)

Options:

1. Stay where they are and draft the BPA at NT, TE and FS (possibly--J Williams, Ertz and Swearinger). This would allow some picks to be traded forward and still get important depth this year.

2. Trade up for an impact player such as Austin, Patterson, Richardson or Lotulelei--while still being able to get other needs a bit lower--Ertz, Jenkins, and Rambo. They would still have some picks left to fill back up needs--OLB, DL, SS…etc.

The question will be--does Baalke/Harbaugh believe one of those impact players are special enough to make the leap? With the draft so even and deep I can't see them trading up unless they were given an excellent deal.
Not a big fan of trading up. This year I would do it for FS since it's such a big need but I don't think Vaccaro is worth it. I wouldn't hate trading up for Star or Sheldon Richardson but wouldn't give up much since they would be backups this year. One of them could be a great replacement for Justin but that might be 1 or 2 more years away.
I'd trade up into the 2nd and fill our major holes with 2nd round talent.

With 4 picks before 61 we could have WR, TE, NT and DE all done dusted before the 3rd starts.

my choices would be Deandre Hopkins, Zach Ertz, Brandon Williams and Sylvester Williams

Those should be available if we traded to about #40 or something like that.

Pick up a corner in third and get Lattimore in the 4th
Originally posted by smithc28:
I'd trade up into the 2nd and fill our major holes with 2nd round talent.

With 4 picks before 61 we could have WR, TE, NT and DE all done dusted before the 3rd starts.

my choices would be Deandre Hopkins, Zach Ertz, Brandon Williams and Sylvester Williams

Those should be available if we traded to about #40 or something like that.

Pick up a corner in third and get Lattimore in the 4th

FS?
Originally posted by genus49:
Datone Jones if he's there around mid 20s. Probably the only guy I'd consider moving up without making a huge jump up.

seconded, we need a few players don't want to give up too may high picks.
Ezeikeil ANSAH Pass Rusher BYU, I think we are another Pass Rusher away from having the BEST defense in the league and Ansah can be that guy for the 9ers. We need to remember that a lot of these big names will fall to the 20's because teams will draft for needs instead of BPA and so we'll have chances to get a few studs
Trading up in a draft that's exceptionally deep at all the positions you need (and fairly weak at the top end, save for some positions you don't need; OT, G) doesn't make any sense.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Trading up in a draft that's exceptionally deep at all the positions you need (and fairly weak at the top end, save for some positions you don't need; OT, G) doesn't make any sense.

Sure... but that's thinking like a fan and not like a F/O decision maker. It's easy for us to just "take the next best player at the ____ position. But you and I both know that the real decision makers really only covet certain individuals. (whether due to the perceived fit or mentality)
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
49ers are setting the table for a great draft.

By adding Asomugha, Dorsey, Dahl and Boldin, the 9ers reduce their immediate needs to three:

#2 TE to replace Walker

FS to replace Goldson (compete with Dahl)

NT to replace Sopoaga (Dorsey replaces RJF)

Options:

1. Stay where they are and draft the BPA at NT, TE and FS (possibly--J Williams, Ertz and Swearinger). This would allow some picks to be traded forward and still get important depth this year.

2. Trade up for an impact player such as Austin, Patterson, Richardson or Lotulelei--while still being able to get other needs a bit lower--Ertz, Jenkins, and Rambo. They would still have some picks left to fill back up needs--OLB, DL, SS…etc.

The question will be--does Baalke/Harbaugh believe one of those impact players are special enough to make the leap? With the draft so even and deep I can't see them trading up unless they were given an excellent deal.


I like your Option 2, but how do you trade up so high in the 1st to get a guy like Patterson and still have a high 2nd to draft a guy like Ertz ? I think is probably going to be a case of either or.
I would hope we move our 31st and a couple mid round picks to get in the lower 20's, "IF" a blue chip 3-4 DE is available ....more push on the D-Line would help us out BIGTIME
Originally posted by Rascal:
I like your Option 2, but how do you trade up so high in the 1st to get a guy like Patterson and still have a high 2nd to draft a guy like Ertz ? I think is probably going to be a case of either or.

Fourteen picks down to say four to six? You get to keep one second and a third, then perhaps a fifth. Not sure how many teams will be looking to trade down though. The second and third rounds are so strong teams may hesitate to move out of them for extra picks. Ertz has been slotted anywhere from bottom of the first to the third rounds. Jenkins has been slotted from low first to fourth. Some of these guys are going to fall.

One magazine I have been reading slots 49 possible first round picks...not counting Lacy! So there just isn't room for all those guys to stay in the first, pushing good players down into the second and third rounds.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I like your Option 2, but how do you trade up so high in the 1st to get a guy like Patterson and still have a high 2nd to draft a guy like Ertz ? I think is probably going to be a case of either or.

Fourteen picks down to say four to six? You get to keep one second and a third, then perhaps a fifth. Not sure how many teams will be looking to trade down though. The second and third rounds are so strong teams may hesitate to move out of them for extra picks. Ertz has been slotted anywhere from bottom of the first to the third rounds. Jenkins has been slotted from low first to fourth. Some of these guys are going to fall.

One magazine I have been reading slots 49 possible first round picks...not counting Lacy! So there just isn't room for all those guys to stay in the first, pushing good players down into the second and third rounds.

keep in mind comp picks cant be traded, so they will for sure be sending the comp picks.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I like your Option 2, but how do you trade up so high in the 1st to get a guy like Patterson and still have a high 2nd to draft a guy like Ertz ? I think is probably going to be a case of either or.

Fourteen picks down to say four to six? You get to keep one second and a third, then perhaps a fifth. Not sure how many teams will be looking to trade down though. The second and third rounds are so strong teams may hesitate to move out of them for extra picks. Ertz has been slotted anywhere from bottom of the first to the third rounds. Jenkins has been slotted from low first to fourth. Some of these guys are going to fall.

One magazine I have been reading slots 49 possible first round picks...not counting Lacy! So there just isn't room for all those guys to stay in the first, pushing good players down into the second and third rounds.


Ertz is a top TE pick, may be only 2nd to Eifert, but is debatable. Personally, I can't see Ertz falling to the 3rd. And to get Patterson, you need to think 10th pick to be on the safe side. If you are saying the 9ers can have both Patterson and Ertz at the same time, we can pretty much celebrate our Super Bowl win now !! LOL.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Ertz is a top TE pick, may be only 2nd to Eifert, but is debatable. Personally, I can't see Ertz falling to the 3rd. And to get Patterson, you need to think 10th pick to be on the safe side. If you are saying the 9ers can have both Patterson and Ertz at the same time, we can pretty much celebrate our Super Bowl win now !! LOL.

No, Ertz is bottom first to mid second in most mocks, or on most rankings, but the niners can trade up and still keep their 34th pick. That's why, in my second scenario I have them drafting Ertz at 34 and then Rambo in the third. They might also have enough Trade-able picks to go back up to the late second or early third for Jenkins or B Williams at DT, both listed in the third round by CBS. But if they had to wait for Hughes or another DT that might work as well.

My preference would be to stay put and try to take Ertz, J Williams and the best FS available at the bottom of the second...or move up in the second for a FS. That would be a great draft class and they would still have some really good players lower in the draft for depth and be able to trade forward for more picks next year.

But one fun element of the draft is that a player being taken off the board might totally change the rest of your board. If Eifert and Ertz are off the board then they look for a TE end later and perhaps get a better DT or FS in the first. So much fun this time of year!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
keep in mind comp picks cant be traded, so they will for sure be sending the comp picks.

Sadly, they can't! But the niners have 11 picks (I've lost count) that can be traded, which should allow them to move way up in the first and still keep at least one second and one third. Even if they traded away a second next year, they could make that up next year by traded some excess picks...although the term excess picks is probably laughable to Baalke!