LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Best Available Board

Less than a month to go before the cards start rolling in. That being said, this is my personal best player available board. It is a rating of the best players in the draft. IT IS NOT A 49ERS DRAFT BOARD. It would be ridiculous to draft Arthur Brown with our LB core in place. Just want to be clear. However, if you want my perspective on who the team should draft, scroll down to #16. I believe Jonathan Cyprien will be on the board at 31, and feel he is the highest rated guy undrafted to that point.

Of course, there will be controversial names: Brown, Carradine, Manuel, Collins. Expect surprises...I had Bobby Wagner rated as a top 20 player last year, and he panned out pretty well. I also had guys like Andre Branch with a first round grade...and well, he wasn't very good.

Have fun, and please feel free to ask questions about players. Let the head scratching begin. To the board poster who rated Christian Ponder and Ricky Stanzi numbers one and two in the 2011 Draft, you stuck your neck out there, and presented your argument. It hasn't worked out well so far, but kuddos for taking your shot.

One note: I have put in bold letters who I would project to be my personal Niners selections at 31, 34, 61, 74, and 93, based on my BPA board and my current 254 player Big Board (the updated version is not currently posted)

2013 NFL Draft Best Player Avaliable Ratings
Pick Player School Position
1 Sharrif Floyd Florida DT
2 Jonathan Cooper North Carolina G
3 Chance Warmack Alabama G
4 Dion Jordan Oregon DE/OLB
5 Tyler Eifert Notre Dame TE
6 Tavon Austin West Virginia WR
7 Arthur Brown Kansas St LB
8 Cornellius Carradine Florida St DE
9 Luke Joeckel Texas A&M OT
10 Dee Milliner Alabama CB
11 Star Lotulelei Utah DT
12 Datone Jones UCLA DE
13 Lane Johnson Oklahoma OT
14 Eric Fisher Central Michigan OT
15 Kenny Vaccaro Texas S
16 Jonathan Cyprien Florida International S (I believe he will be available at 31 and is the top player on my board)
17 Sheldon Richardson Missouri DT
18 Sylvester Williams North Carolina DT
19 Jamie Collins Southern Mississippi LB
20 DeAndre Hopkins Clemson WR (I believe he will be available at 34 and is the top player remaining on my board)
21 Desmond Trufant Washington CB
22 EJ Manuel Florida St QB
23 Alec Ogletree Georgia LB
24 Eddie Lacy Alabama RB
25 Robert Alford Southeastern Louisiana CB
26 Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee WR
27 Jesse Williams Alabama DT
28 Alex Okafor Texas DE
29 Quinton Patton Louisiana Tech WR
30 Cornelius Washington Georgia DE/OLB (I believe he will be on the board at 74 and the best player remaining on my board)
31 Terron Armstead Arkansas Pine Bluff OT
32 Barkevious Mingo LSU OLB
33 Jarvis Jones Georgia OLB
34 Geno Smith West Virginia QB
35 DJ Hayden Houston CB (I believe he will be on the board at 61 and the best player still remaining on the board)
36 BW Webb William and Mary CB
37 Leon McFaddon San Diego St CB
38 Jordan Poyer Oregon St CB
39 Marquise Goodwin Texas WR
40 Jamar Taylor Boise St CB
41 Jonathan Franklin UCLA RB
42 Matt Elam Florida S
43 Ezekiel Ansah BYU DE/OLB
44 Bjoern Werner Florida St DE/OLB
45 Tavarres King Georgia WR
46 Brandon Williams Missouri Southern St DT
47 Ryan Nassib Syracuse QB
48 Travis Kelce Cincinnati TE (I believe he will be on the board at 93...we will see with workouts..and is the top player left on my board in a position unselected previously)
49 Josh Evans Florida S
50 Markus Wheaton Oregon St WR
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Not seeing Keenan Allen on your list is a surprize.

Is he not there because of his injury or is it just that you do not feel he is a not a top 50 pick even without the injury?
First, really great stuff, MD. Not saying I agree with everything, but I like what you do.

- Love seeing Poyer higher up on the rankings.

- my, my... has Robert Alford and BW Webb skyrocketed.. though I do like both, but not that high.

- Cyprien is getting serious hype.. still think his true value is in the 2nd rd.

- far too low for Bjoern Werner.

- far too high for Jamie Collins, Sly Williams, Tavarres King, and Marquise Goodwin.
Originally posted by buck:
Not seeing Keenan Allen on your list is a surprize.

Is he not there because of his injury or is it just that you do not feel he is a not a top 50 pick even without the injury?

I grade him as a low second rounder, and thus off the list. Reports from the performance camps where players were training were...lukewarm on his stacking up against lesser known players. Don't know if this is true, but lot of question marks right now for me.
Got to think Cyprien is going to go at 31 or 32 with both the Niners and Ravens having serious needs at safety (both Ravens' starters are gone in Reed and Pollard). Love Alford and Webb, and McFaddon, and Pryor. All of these guys have terrific footwork.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Collins as a late first. He is booming up the boards. Why not? He was a terrific college player and maybe the most athletic player at the combine. Goodwin blows the top off of coverage. He is so crazy fast. Corners have to play so far back to not be roasted. I think he has that same Steve Smith effect in getting CB's to line up way off the LOS. King is smooth as butter. My top three route runners include Hopkins, King and Bailey (who is just off the list).
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM ]
Why no Kawann Short? Hamstring injury, that's limited him, hurting his draft stock?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Got to think Cyprien is going to go at 31 or 32 with both the Niners and Ravens having serious needs at safety (both Ravens' starters are gone in Reed and Pollard). Love Alford and Webb, and McFaddon, and Pryor. All of these guys have terrific footwork.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Collins as a late first. He is booming up the boards. Why not? He was a terrific college player and maybe the most athletic player at the combine. Goodwin blows the top off of coverage. He is so crazy fast. Corners have to play so far back to not be roasted. I think he has that same Steve Smith effect in getting CB's to line up way off the LOS. King is smooth as butter. My top three route runners include Hopkins, King and Bailey (who is just off the list).

Could see Ravens leapfrog us to get one of the guys they want.

I'm on the Cornelius Washington bandwagon..but 30th best player?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Mar 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM ]
I've been on the Hopkins bandwagon for months! My favorite receiver in this draft, and actually one of my favorite players. I also think receiver is a need

Boldin - 1 year contract
Crabtree - Contract year, and may seek a HUGE payday
AJ Jenkins - Too early to write off, but how much do you alter your draft for a guy whose career stat line reads: 1 drop
Manningham - Last year of contract, coming off of major injury
Kyle Williams - Last year of contract, coming off of major injury, yet to have 250 receiving yards in a season

Having said that, there are 5 WR who are not going anywhere. Further, I think we'll draft at least 1 who has return ability (specifically punts) and the team seems high on Lockett. They will at least want to give him a fighter's chance to make the squad. I'm not sure I see how Hopkins fits in this year. I want us to draft him, but does it make sense?
I know this isnt a mock, but if the niners board and picks worked out like that I would cream my pants.
You obviously like Floyd alot. In his game against Tennessee, while his explosivenes is obvious, he must've spent as much time on his ass as any player I've ever seen. Do you chalk that up to just a bad game, or could that suggest some issues with his balance and leverage?

Good work MD, but I think DJ Hayden is gonna be gone by the mid 2nd round.
Keenan Allen getting no respect
Thanks MD. Helps put wants and needs in perspective.
Great list, thanks for putting that together. Realistically, Ansah and Werner look to be top 10 or at the very least top 20 picks, but I can see why you're skeptical about them.
You're really low on Jarvis Jones, any reason?
Share 49ersWebzone