There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A Mock Draft of how I think the 49ers will manipulate the draft

Offseason review:

Players, FA signed;
Anquan Boldin, WR; Glenn Dorsey, DL, Craig Dahl, S; Dan Skuta, LB; Phil Dawson, K

Projected FA signing;
Richard Seymore, DL (vet minimum)

Projected Extentions:
Anthony Davis, 4 year deal (before Season Opener 2013)

Acquisitions;
34th overall pick in trade, (2nd)
3 compensensatory picks added, 131, 246, 252 overall

Round 1-31. Trade down with Miami to pick 42 and add 3rd rounder (82nd overall)
Round 2-34. *Trade out of pick with Buffalo for 1st round pick (2014) and 5th round, 2013 (157th overall)
Round 2-42. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Round 2-61. Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi St
Round 3-74. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
Round 3-82. David Amerson, DB (projected FS), NC State
Round 3-93. Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern
Round 4-128 *Trade out for future 3rd rounder
Round 4-131 Chris Faulk, OT, LSU
Round 5-143 Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Round 5-157 *Trade out for future 4th rounder
Round 5-164 Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
Round 6-(173) Trade up ahead of Az to grab our backup QB competition. Giving picks #180, #237 to Cleveland
Jordan Rodgers, QB, Vanderbilt
Round 7-227 Joe Kruger, DE, Utah
Round 7-246 Glenn Foster, DE, Illinois
Round 7-252 Bruce Taylor, ILB, Virginia

*Gain future 2014 draft picks (1st, 3rd, 4th, and 2nd/3rd for Alex Smith deal)

Roster/Depth
QB: Kaep, Tolzien
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Franklin
FB: Miller
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Jenkins, Williams, Manningham(pup)
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
T: Staley, Davis, Faulk
G: Boone, Iupati, Kilgore, Looney
C: Goodwin

DE: Mcdonald, Smith, Tukuafu, Kruger, Seymore
NT: Dorsey, B. Willams, I. Williams
OLB: Brooks, Smith, Fleming, Haralson
ILB: Willis, Bowman, Skuta
CB: Culliver, Brown, Slay, Rogers, Cox, Brock
FS: Amerson, Dahl, McBath
SS: Whitner, S. Williams

K: Phil Dawson
LS: Brian Jennings
P: Andy Lee

Get your pitch forks ready for the early trades.
Not a huge fan of the picks, but I LOVE the trading. Good work!
Not a fan. Our 1st pick is a WR, no DE help til the 7th. Not understanding everyone's love of Vance McDonald yet everyone hating Delanie. McDonald has the drops problem too, and he's a worse blocker. And then trading up for Rodgers who's a trash QB.

I do like Slay, and Amerson being moved to FS projection. Franklin is a good back, wouldn't be upset with him being a Niner.
Whilst I like trading back into 2014, leaving the DL so late is something that I don't think will happen.
I hope they do trade down and gain extra picks because we'll have some FAs next year and it will help
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Not a fan. Our 1st pick is a WR, no DE help til the 7th. Not understanding everyone's love of Vance McDonald yet everyone hating Delanie. McDonald has the drops problem too, and he's a worse blocker. And then trading up for Rodgers who's a trash QB.

I do like Slay, and Amerson being moved to FS projection. Franklin is a good back, wouldn't be upset with him being a Niner.

Understandable with the first pick. Patton as BPA in pos. of need. I don't think the Niners are high on De class, and Seymore gives that depth for a year. We have 6 DL in the rotationwithout Kruger or Foster active. And we could possibly have a top 3 pick to land a franchise DE next year.
Originally posted by English:
Whilst I like trading back into 2014, leaving the DL so late is something that I don't think will happen.

Seymore gives that depth for a year. We have 6 DL in the rotationwithout Kruger or Foster active. And we could possibly have a top 3 pick to land a franchise DE next year. Plus, our depth has the experience in the rotation(other than Williams), and not a rookie with question marks that will be taking on 2 NFL linemen.

I also think Tomsula can get more out of late rounders.
I'd love to see it manipulated like that so long as we fill our immediate needs on defense. I'd prefer to see more quality help for the DL rotation early.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love the manipulation in this thread.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM ]
Do we really need more picks? If I was to trade, I would trade up. Especially with all those late round picks. Package them all for a 4th or 5th if possible
if our first pick isnt on an elite Safety or DT im not down. they should not trade out of the 1st, if anything they should use their ammo to move up to get a marquee safety. trade a 2nd rounder for next years 1st is always a good idea tho
I like the idea of making some trades but not the first two picks. This is a team that is right there and a few top players can help close the deal in NY next year. Maybe moving up is a possibility.
I like this draft a lot. Slay, Patton and McDonald are sleepers at their positions, while I think Williams is a higher grade for a NT, could be early 3rd, but if we got those 4, plus extra 1st,3rd and 4th in 2014, I would be so happy. Great work.

Only thing is Seymore, may not want to sign for minimum, heard reports he wants more than minimum. But who knows.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I like this draft a lot. Slay, Patton and McDonald are sleepers at their positions, while I think Williams is a higher grade for a NT, could be early 3rd, but if we got those 4, plus extra 1st,3rd and 4th in 2014, I would be so happy. Great work.

Only thing is Seymore, may not want to sign for minimum, heard reports he wants more than minimum. But who knows.

I really think B. Williams will be drafted later because of his small school and his questionable senior bowl.

Isee these picks as points and there is so much talent at the beginning of the second and those teams are after the qbs. We can go bpa early because we have the load of picks in later rounds. And If the value isn't there at 31, we gain more points in trading.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Mar 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I like the idea of making some trades but not the first two picks. This is a team that is right there and a few top players can help close the deal in NY next year. Maybe moving up is a possibility.

Moving up to get who? Datone Jones? Maybe he could be a steal but think his stock is all over the place, and that tells me he's no clear cut to be dominant in the 3/4. I'm scared of trading up to early 20s to get him.