There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Geek's Final Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Not sure about either Culliver moving to FS or signing Kolb. The former can play the position...he did it for Spurrier for 2 seasons at So Car. I'm thinking Baalke could well take a FS with pick #34...and am hoping Elam's still on the board then. That eventuality could happen if Baalke signs Asomugha. If so, I see CC staying put. As for Kolb, I don't see the fit...Josh Johnson, yes, because of his athleticism...and he could be had for arguably a relative song. Now for the draft...I know Jones is a heckuva player...but I'm not convinced he's worth trading up for. Beyond that, I'd opt for one of the other "bigs" instead. Either Williams would be strong additions to the DL...and they can play DE & NT/DT. Most likely, Baalke wouldn't have to trade up to get them, either. I really don't see him trading up in 1st rd...not when most experts agree the best talent is between picks 20-70. We have 4 of those (counting pick # 74) already, so see no reason to trade up that early. I can see him trading up in 2nd or 3rd rds...where he could use some of his later rd picks. Anyway, I like Taylor a lot...and agree, Baalke has to think about Rogers and Brown. I'd probably take Phillip Thomas with the late 2nd rounder. Dude's a warrior...came back from a broken leg and dislocated ankle to post a terrific senior season, leading the nation w/8 picks. I like the Rogers and Collins picks...albeit one pick down from where you have them (accounting for the Thomas pick in late 2nd). Draft one swing OT. The rest arguably don't matter, as I can see Baalke coming away w/8 solid to stellar picks and use the rest to trade up or for 2014.

I completely understand your point about trading up in the first round in a deep DL draft, but I disagree about that defensive lineman has to be that NT/DE hybrid. We spent 60% of our defensive snaps in a 4-2-5 base. Now that we have Dorsey and extended Ian Williams, I think we put more emphasis on a penetrating DE/DT defensive linemen - and Jones fits that part.

But I also get why you want to maintain this epics within the first few rounds to maximize the talent. Makes sense
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
REALLY good post and interesting.

ASSUMPTIONS: I agree that Asso will probably sign w/Saints.
Like the move of Cully to FS BUT he played very well almost all season long against some very good receivers & QB's. So his replacement better be ready.
Disagree on Kolb - with 2 years in the JH system I feel Tholzein will be a solid replacement.

DRAFT: I won't get into the trades just te picks.

Would love Datone and DL is THE major need.

I think Da'Rick is going to be a star in this league!

Like - Jamar Taylor CB and Jamie Collins who will be an over-achiever and surprise many.

Dislike Earl Wolff - size matters and in a passing league I'd prefer a taller guy.

Thanks for the work.

Appreciate the kind words. Obviously Kolb and drafting a safety later than anticipated are going to be criticized the most in this mock. But I'm glad you like the main core picks!

Someone can't come in and criticize you drafting a safety late, because you addressed FS with another top-tier talent in Culliver.

As for that... it's a deal-breaker for me in giving this mock my full thumbs up (of course, it's still possible the 49ers actually do it and I eat crow). To me, Culliver is one of the best young CBs in the NFL. Maybe he doesn't project as the next Revis or Sherman (or maybe he does...), but I think he is our clear-cut CB1 for the next era, and I think he becomes a top 5 or top 10 CB in the NFL.

You don't move that guy to FS for superficial reasons like: (1) he did it in college so he could probably make a good one, and/or (2) we have a bigger need there.

CB is a more "premium" position than FS, and we drafted a gem. Fill the FS void another way, IMHO.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
REALLY good post and interesting.

ASSUMPTIONS: I agree that Asso will probably sign w/Saints.
Like the move of Cully to FS BUT he played very well almost all season long against some very good receivers & QB's. So his replacement better be ready.
Disagree on Kolb - with 2 years in the JH system I feel Tholzein will be a solid replacement.

DRAFT: I won't get into the trades just te picks.

Would love Datone and DL is THE major need.

I think Da'Rick is going to be a star in this league!

Like - Jamar Taylor CB and Jamie Collins who will be an over-achiever and surprise many.

Dislike Earl Wolff - size matters and in a passing league I'd prefer a taller guy.

Thanks for the work.

Appreciate the kind words. Obviously Kolb and drafting a safety later than anticipated are going to be criticized the most in this mock. But I'm glad you like the main core picks!

Someone can't come in and criticize you drafting a safety late, because you addressed FS with another top-tier talent in Culliver.

As for that... it's a deal-breaker for me in giving this mock my full thumbs up (of course, it's still possible the 49ers actually do it and I eat crow). To me, Culliver is one of the best young CBs in the NFL. Maybe he doesn't project as the next Revis or Sherman (or maybe he does...), but I think he is our clear-cut CB1 for the next era, and I think he becomes a top 5 or top 10 CB in the NFL.

You don't move that guy to FS for superficial reasons like: (1) he did it in college so he could probably make a good one, and/or (2) we have a bigger need there.

CB is a more "premium" position than FS, and we drafted a gem. Fill the FS void another way, IMHO.

I completely understand your point about Culliver, but with his skill set, I think he could become an elite safety in this league. Many people have posted Culliver's weaknesses - sometimes gets turned around and loses coverage on his receivers - but we all know he's a physical corner with great speed. Well those weaknesses get masked as a safety since the play is in front of you.

And also, our secondary really became exposed due to our inconsistent pass rush when Justin Smith went down with an injury. A healthy Justin Smith and Aldon Smith - plus added pieces to bolster our pass rush - will indirectly help improve our secondary as well.
Good Mock. There are only two things i would change. 1. The DE/DT/NT position is very deep this year. http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2013/top-nfl-prospects-for-2013.cfm?pos=DL. 2. I do not think Kolb would be a good idea. Ok, just one more...I would love to pick up M. Lattimore in the 4th, red shirt him this year and under the watchful eye of our Professional training staff. If he fully recovers, we would have Gore's replacement!
I stopped reading right here:

Assumptions
- Culliver is moved to FS
- 49ers sign QB Kevin Kolb to a 2 year deal