• GEEK
  • Veteran
Assumptions:
- Culliver is moved to FS
- 49ers sign QB Kevin Kolb to a 2 year deal
- Nnamdi signs with the Saints

NFL Draft:

Trade -
49ers trade 1st and 3rd round picks for Minnesota 1st round pick (org. Seattle).
49ers trade 4th and 5th round picks for Steelers 4th round pick.

R1: Datone Jones - DT/DE - UCLA (via MIN from SEA)
*Rotational defensive end and tackle in 4-2-5 situations that will be the future successor to Justin Smith on our defense.

R2: Jamar Taylor - CB - Boise State (via KC)
*Rogers is most likely in his last year with the 49ers, and Brown is a free agent after the season. We need to build the pipeline of talent, and that begins with Taylor. Fast, nimble cornerback that plays the ball well. Needs to get bigger, but he'll develop.

R2: Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Tennessee Tech
*Yep. This just happened. Compared to Julio Jones, the biggest thing holding Rogers up is his character issues. If it wasn't for that, he'd be a top 25 pick. With Kaepernick and Boldin on the roster, we have a lot of positive mentors to ensure Rogers acclimates to the NFL lifestyle. Just imagine this formation: Crabtree-Manningham-Davis-Rogers-Boldin

R3: Jamie Collins - DE/OLB - Southern Miss (via CAR)
*Freak of nature athlete that oozes with potential in the NFL. With Haralson on a restructured 1 year deal, and Fleming coming back from an injury, we need to bolster the depth at this position. Collins is a beast of a pass rusher that needs to work on his strength and technique. But he'll provide relief as a pass rusher and special teams contribution in his 1st year.

R4: Earl Wolff - FS/SS - NC State (via PIT)
*4.4 speed with sound tackling skills and high football IQ. He drops because of his size (sub-6 ft) and needs to get stronger and build his frame up. Guess who else was a 4th round pick...Dashon Goldson.

R4: Nick Becton - OT - Virginia Tech (comp)
*Prototypical swing tackle. Replaces Leonard Davis.

R5: Levine Toilolo - TE - Stanford (via IND)
*Finally, Harbaugh picks of his former players for the 49ers roster. 6-8 red zone target that needs to improve his blocking skills.

R6: Khalid Wooten - CB/PR - Nevada (via MIA)
*Replaces Trumaine Brock on the roster.

R7: Steve Beauharnais - ILB - Rutgers (via CIN)
*We didn't resign Gooden or Grant. Beauharnais will compete with Wilhoite for the final ILB roster spot.

R7: Emmett Cleary - OT - Boston College
*Another swing tackle to enhance the depth along the O-line.

R7: Jake Stoneburner - TE/FB - Ohio State (comp)
*He has potential, but minimal stats in the NCAA causes him to be an almost UDFA. Athletically gifted, I think he could be our next Delanie Walker.

R7: Colby Cameron - QB - LA Tech (comp)
*The next Tim Rattay? Pushes Tolzien for a roster spot, but Cameron ends up on our PS.

Depth Chart:

Offense - (25)

QB: Kaepernick/Kolb*/Tolzien (PS: Cameron)
RB: Gore/Hunter/James/Dixon
FB: Miller/Stoneburner*
TE: Davis/Toilolo*/Celek

WR: Crabtree/Jenkins
WR: Boldin/Williams
WR: Rogers* (IR/PUP: Manningham)

LT: Staley/Becton*
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Goodwin/Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis (PS: Cleary)

Defense - (25)

LE: Smith/Jones*
NT: Dorsey*/Williams
RE: McDonald/Tukuafu

OLB: Smith/Haralson/Fleming
ILB: Willis/Beauharnais*
ILB: Bowman/Skuta*
OLB: Brooks/Collins*

CB: Rogers/Taylor*/Wooten*
CB: Brown/Cox
FS: Culliver/Dahl*
SS: Whitner/Spillman/Wolff*

Special Teams - (3)
K: Dawson*
P: Lee
LS: Jennings
Kolb? I don't think he fits out style of play really but I wouldn't hate it unless the cost is high which I doubt. I also think we will trade out of the later rounds for picks next year to continue stockpiling ala the Pats style, not too sure about moving Culliver to FS but it could happen. Would like to see us take a FS higher than round 4 and another DL higher, not a fan of a WR that high. With Crabs, Boldin, Manningham, Jenkins and Williams I think we're fine at receiver and shouldn't look to take one higher than the 3rd round.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Kolb? I don't think he fits out style of play really but I wouldn't hate it unless the cost is high which I doubt. I also think we will trade out of the later rounds for picks next year to continue stockpiling ala the Pats style, not too sure about moving Culliver to FS but it could happen. Would like to see us take a FS higher than round 4 and another DL higher, not a fan of a WR that high. With Crabs, Boldin, Manningham, Jenkins and Williams I think we're fine at receiver and shouldn't look to take one higher than the 3rd round.

I agree that Kolb really doesn't fit our scheme.

But I like your first 4 rounds!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Thanks!

Kolb may not fit Kaepernick's style of offense, but there isn't really anyone out there that can run that offense. We just need a competent QB that can run an offense efficiently, and Kolb was in the West Coast system under Reid in PHI. You can do much worse in a backup than Kolb.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Thanks!

Kolb may not fit Kaepernick's style of offense, but there isn't really anyone out there that can run that offense. We just need a competent QB that can run an offense efficiently, and Kolb was in the West Coast system under Reid in PHI. You can do much worse in a backup than Kolb.

I agree that Kolb is probably the best QB on the market, but I think Harbaalke value Tolzien enough to move into the backup role. I'm sure they'll sign and vet minimum deal or a draft pick, but I doubt we go get a bigger name guy.
I like the mock, but hate that you gave up pick 74 and 31 for Datone Jones. I just simply do not see it. This draft is deep at DT/DE/NT, the Niners will be able to pick up someone at pick 31. You need to think about the player you are giving up at 74.........

Now if you packaged both third to move up to get Barret Jones who could play all position along th OL I would be all over it.

31- Margus Hunt/Datone Jones
34- Zach Ertz
Rd 2 Rogers WR
RD 2 move up with two thirds- Barret Jones.

Now that is a draft.
Kolb doesn't really fit our scheme but would be a solid backup none the less. Draftwise, awesome job, Datone Jones adds tremendous depth to our defensive line and someone to replace cowboy in a couple years, jamar taylor is a solid cb, darick rogers i think would be a great addition and with our veteran locker room i think his head would stay screwed on straight. Collins would be a nice pass rusher to have on third down who I also think could develop into an every down player and contribute on special teams, overall nice draft!
Originally posted by 9erred:
I like the mock, but hate that you gave up pick 74 and 31 for Datone Jones. I just simply do not see it. This draft is deep at DT/DE/NT, the Niners will be able to pick up someone at pick 31. You need to think about the player you are giving up at 74.........

Now if you packaged both third to move up to get Barret Jones who could play all position along th OL I would be all over it.

34- Zach Ertz
Rd 2 Rogers WR

Now that is a draft.

Yes! Except please not Margus Hunt. Can't spend a first round pick in a draft this talented on a 26 year old back up (IMO)
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:

34- Zach Ertz
Rd 2 Rogers WR

Now that is a draft.

I'm guessing you'd want to do this assuming we sign Nnamdi? Otherwise, you use 2 third round picks to trade up and select a backup offensive linemen when there are voids at CB and S?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Kolb doesn't really fit our scheme but would be a solid backup none the less. Draftwise, awesome job, Datone Jones adds tremendous depth to our defensive line and someone to replace cowboy in a couple years, jamar taylor is a solid cb, darick rogers i think would be a great addition and with our veteran locker room i think his head would stay screwed on straight. Collins would be a nice pass rusher to have on third down who I also think could develop into an every down player and contribute on special teams, overall nice draft!

Thanks!

With Walker gone, I really feel like the team is going to start putting more weight on 3 WR sets. And since Manningham is rehabbing until the regular season (at least), Williams coming off an injury, and Jenkins still unproven, I think Rogers would be the perfect fit.

Or
R2: Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Tennessee Tech
*Yep. This just happened. Compared to Julio Jones, the biggest thing holding Rogers up is his character issues. If it wasn't for that, he'd be a top 25 pick. With Kaepernick and Boldin on the roster, we have a lot of positive mentors to ensure Rogers acclimates to the NFL lifestyle. Just imagine this formation: Crabtree-Manningham-Davis-Rogers-Boldin

I like the pick, but the formation has no running back, thats an issue for me
REALLY good post and interesting.

ASSUMPTIONS: I agree that Asso will probably sign w/Saints.
Like the move of Cully to FS BUT he played very well almost all season long against some very good receivers & QB's. So his replacement better be ready.
Disagree on Kolb - with 2 years in the JH system I feel Tholzein will be a solid replacement.

DRAFT: I won't get into the trades just te picks.

Would love Datone and DL is THE major need.

I think Da'Rick is going to be a star in this league!

Like - Jamar Taylor CB and Jamie Collins who will be an over-achiever and surprise many.

Dislike Earl Wolff - size matters and in a passing league I'd prefer a taller guy.

Thanks for the work.
Not sure about either Culliver moving to FS or signing Kolb. The former can play the position...he did it for Spurrier for 2 seasons at So Car. I'm thinking Baalke could well take a FS with pick #34...and am hoping Elam's still on the board then. That eventuality could happen if Baalke signs Asomugha. If so, I see CC staying put. As for Kolb, I don't see the fit...Josh Johnson, yes, because of his athleticism...and he could be had for arguably a relative song. Now for the draft...I know Jones is a heckuva player...but I'm not convinced he's worth trading up for. Beyond that, I'd opt for one of the other "bigs" instead. Either Williams would be strong additions to the DL...and they can play DE & NT/DT. Most likely, Baalke wouldn't have to trade up to get them, either. I really don't see him trading up in 1st rd...not when most experts agree the best talent is between picks 20-70. We have 4 of those (counting pick # 74) already, so see no reason to trade up that early. I can see him trading up in 2nd or 3rd rds...where he could use some of his later rd picks. Anyway, I like Taylor a lot...and agree, Baalke has to think about Rogers and Brown. I'd probably take Phillip Thomas with the late 2nd rounder. Dude's a warrior...came back from a broken leg and dislocated ankle to post a terrific senior season, leading the nation w/8 picks. I like the Rogers and Collins picks...albeit one pick down from where you have them (accounting for the Thomas pick in late 2nd). Draft one swing OT. The rest arguably don't matter, as I can see Baalke coming away w/8 solid to stellar picks and use the rest to trade up or for 2014.
Not gonna happen
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
REALLY good post and interesting.

ASSUMPTIONS: I agree that Asso will probably sign w/Saints.
Like the move of Cully to FS BUT he played very well almost all season long against some very good receivers & QB's. So his replacement better be ready.
Disagree on Kolb - with 2 years in the JH system I feel Tholzein will be a solid replacement.

DRAFT: I won't get into the trades just te picks.

Would love Datone and DL is THE major need.

I think Da'Rick is going to be a star in this league!

Like - Jamar Taylor CB and Jamie Collins who will be an over-achiever and surprise many.

Dislike Earl Wolff - size matters and in a passing league I'd prefer a taller guy.

Thanks for the work.

Appreciate the kind words. Obviously Kolb and drafting a safety later than anticipated are going to be criticized the most in this mock. But I'm glad you like the main core picks!
Share 49ersWebzone