There are 175 users in the forums

our TE need ???

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Simple, TE is a huge part of our passing game.

Delanie was good both at blocking and getting open, but his hands just weren't reliable enough. But, he was a big target for Kaep. At one point, he was probably getting more passes than Vernon. Vernon is a given so very often he gets double-teamed. But, if we have another playmaker TE in Ertz for example, it will create a huge headache for the opposing D cos let's face it you can't double-team everybody.
Was just going to make a poll on this but who do you guys like for TE's? I don't think Eifert is a possibility since it would require a trade up. I wouldn't mind if we took Ertz at 31 or 34 but I don't think it will happen. I think we take Kelce at 61 or 74. Reed and Escobar could be other options but I have read they aren't the best blockers. We can always coach guys up though. One of Vernon's knocks coming out was his blocking and he was like our RT the 1st few years with us. Anyone on our team will have no problem getting stronger and into better shape. There is a great veteran presence and a lot of guys are in working out during the offseason when you do don't have to be. There is a high turnout for voluntary stuff as well. It's the atmosphere and the locker room. So I think we will lean towards someone who can block and catch but doesn't mean we can't coach someone up and get them stronger and make them a better blocker.

Anyways, I think we should take a TE in the 1st 3 rounds. We need to replace Walker; we use 2 TE's a lot in our offense and to me Celek isn't the answer. Could make our offense even more explosive than it will already be with someone like Ertz, Reed, Esobar or Kelce.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Was just going to make a poll on this but who do you guys like for TE's? I don't think Eifert is a possibility since it would require a trade up. I wouldn't mind if we took Ertz at 31 or 34 but I don't think it will happen. I think we take Kelce at 61 or 74. Reed and Escobar could be other options but I have read they aren't the best blockers. We can always coach guys up though. One of Vernon's knocks coming out was his blocking and he was like our RT the 1st few years with us.

I think we should take one in the 1st 3 rounds though. We need to replace Walker; we use 2 TE's a lot in our offense and to me Celek isn't the answer. Could make our offense even more explosive than it will already be with someone like Ertz, Reed, Esobar or Kelce.

I have only watched film on 3 TEs, Eifert, Ertz and Kelce. I have to admit, Eifert and Ertz are very close, in fact I might even prefer Ertz slightly. But, after these 2, Kelce is already quite a drop-off. So, if Eifert goes in the 1st, I am happy to get Ertz at 34th.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I see so many people mock drafting us a TE at #34 Eifert or Ertz I don't understand why this is when we have Davis a very high pay TE/star ..I know we lost walker but unlike most I didn't think he was that good ... so why use ahigh pick on a TE unless your thinking Davis N his high cost will be gone in a yr of two ????

Because Harbaugh and Roman's offense if heavily dependent on having two (and preferably three) high quality TEs.

Harbaugh & Roman tend to adapt the offense to the players on the roster. Last years offense was much different than the offense in 2011.

Last years offense changed dramatically when CK7 took over from Alex Smith. Our coaches do a good job of creating the offense around the players. I think that's why it will be hard to keep up with our offense this year.
Was just going to make a poll on this but who do you guys like for TE's? I don't think Eifert is a possibility since it would require a trade up. I wouldn't mind if we took Ertz at 31 or 34 but I don't think it will happen. I think we take Kelce at 61 or 74. Reed and Escobar could be other options but I have read they aren't the best blockers. We can always coach guys up though. One of Vernon's knocks coming out was his blocking and he was like our RT the 1st few years with us. Anyone on our team will have no problem getting stronger and into better shape. There is a great veteran presence and a lot of guys are in working out during the offseason when you do don't have to be. There is a high turnout for voluntary stuff as well. It's the atmosphere and the locker room. So I think we will lean towards someone who can block and catch but doesn't mean we can't coach someone up and get them stronger and make them a better blocker.

Anyways, I think we should take a TE in the 1st 3 rounds. We need to replace Walker; we use 2 TE's a lot in our offense and to me Celek isn't the answer. Could make our offense even more explosive than it will already be with someone like Ertz, Reed, Esobar or Kelce.

I really think our #2 TE needs to be a solid blocker first, pass catcher 2nd. Our coaches love multi dimension players who can line up anywhere and keep the defenses guessing. Ertz, Eifert, Reed and Escobar are excellent receivers of balls, but lack the size and strength to put their hand in the dirt and take on a 280 DE. Can they be coached up to block and add size after a couple years? Sure they could, over time, but that would have been a better idea LAST year with a #3 TE. Since Celek has hands of stone, we really need a solid blocking TE who can also catch, one we can plug in THIS season. I think 2 players fit that mold better than the rest, Kelce and Vance McDonald.

Vance McDonald, TE, Rice Height: 6-4. Weight: 267. Arm: 34 1/2. Hand: 10.18. 40 Time: 4.69. Projected Round (2013): 3-4

He mostly played in the slot at Rice, but he has strength ( 31 reps was tops for TE at the combine - and more than most Olinemen ) and the size ( 267 ) to be an effective inline blocker. He also was the top performer in the Broad Jump, 3 cone and 60 yard shuttle....so he's not just a big meathead, he's athletic too. I think his size, strength and athleticism will allow him to adapt to inline blocking pretty quick.

Here's NFL.com's breakdown =

================================

Analysis

Strengths Used all over the formation but mainly as a slot receiver. Smooth athlete, comfortable in space for someone his size. Engages with good hand placement when blocking, uses body to shield off running lane. Very long arms, flashes using them to his advantage when run blocking. Sticks to the latch even if jolted on first contact. Flashes driving smaller defenders to the ground. Fluid mover after the catch, natural with the ball in his hands, reads upfield blocks and cuts off of them. Plenty of receiver screens, shows patience and strength to finish off runs. Snap-to-whistle player, known to make multiple blocks on the same play. Comfortable with bucket catches. Quickly turns upfield and makes the most of each play. Can make contested catches. Hands catcher away from his body.

Weaknesses Lacks strength on first contact. Majority of blocking took place in space, no inline, which could show in NFL. At least one drop or bobble per game, occurred even more often at the Senior Bowl. Most occur when he has to adjust or move off his stationary spot. Other times when the ball gets there quickly, unexpected targets. Would like to see him high point more frequently.

NFL Comparison Todd Heap

Bottom Line Despite being built like an inline tight end, the majority of McDonald's experience is in the slot. This certainly helps his comfort blocking on the edge and as a receiver who picks up yards after the catch. In fact, McDonald is still learning how to use his frame effectively. Teams could view the Rice product as an inline prospect or as a Joker mismatch, but either way McDonald should be selected on the second day.

I believe his versatility and size make him a perfect fit as our #2 TE. He already knows how to run routes and work in space, he also has big hands and long arms ( big assets in the Red Zone ) if he can adapt to inline blocking, he would be a great weapon for our team.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I want us to get a tight end in rounds 2 or 3 and another in the later rounds

Don't really have a favorite
I just don't see us drafting a TE higher than the 3rd round so this would eliminate both Ertz and Eifert. At best, we'd be looking at Escobar which I could live with if we select him.

Also agree with the comments about our offense evolving. I see less dependence on two TEs now that Captain Checkdown is playing in KC. With Kaepernick at QB, I see us utilizing more 3 WR sets and opening up the offense a bit.

Coming into this draft, the Niners have more important issues than a top tier TE. Let's add some much needed help on our defense with the first 3 or 4 picks and THEN focus on tight ends.
Agree WRT Kelce..very nice combo of pass catcher and blocker...would fit right in. He should be available in 3rd rd...which saves earlier picks for DL, S, CB/WR.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

I really think our #2 TE needs to be a solid blocker first, pass catcher 2nd. Our coaches love multi dimension players who can line up anywhere and keep the defenses guessing. Ertz, Eifert, Reed and Escobar are excellent receivers of balls, but lack the size and strength to put their hand in the dirt and take on a 280 DE. Can they be coached up to block and add size after a couple years? Sure they could, over time, but that would have been a better idea LAST year with a #3 TE. Since Celek has hands of stone, we really need a solid blocking TE who can also catch, one we can plug in THIS season. I think 2 players fit that mold better than the rest, Kelce and Vance McDonald.

Vance McDonald, TE, Rice Height: 6-4. Weight: 267. Arm: 34 1/2. Hand: 10.18. 40 Time: 4.69. Projected Round (2013): 3-4

He mostly played in the slot at Rice, but he has strength ( 31 reps was tops for TE at the combine - and more than most Olinemen ) and the size ( 267 ) to be an effective inline blocker. He also was the top performer in the Broad Jump, 3 cone and 60 yard shuttle....so he's not just a big meathead, he's athletic too. I think his size, strength and athleticism will allow him to adapt to inline blocking pretty quick.

Here's NFL.com's breakdown =

Analysis

Strengths Used all over the formation but mainly as a slot receiver. Smooth athlete, comfortable in space for someone his size. Engages with good hand placement when blocking, uses body to shield off running lane. Very long arms, flashes using them to his advantage when run blocking. Sticks to the latch even if jolted on first contact. Flashes driving smaller defenders to the ground. Fluid mover after the catch, natural with the ball in his hands, reads upfield blocks and cuts off of them. Plenty of receiver screens, shows patience and strength to finish off runs. Snap-to-whistle player, known to make multiple blocks on the same play. Comfortable with bucket catches. Quickly turns upfield and makes the most of each play. Can make contested catches. Hands catcher away from his body.

Weaknesses Lacks strength on first contact. Majority of blocking took place in space, no inline, which could show in NFL. At least one drop or bobble per game, occurred even more often at the Senior Bowl. Most occur when he has to adjust or move off his stationary spot. Other times when the ball gets there quickly, unexpected targets. Would like to see him high point more frequently.

NFL Comparison Todd Heap

Bottom Line Despite being built like an inline tight end, the majority of McDonald's experience is in the slot. This certainly helps his comfort blocking on the edge and as a receiver who picks up yards after the catch. In fact, McDonald is still learning how to use his frame effectively. Teams could view the Rice product as an inline prospect or as a Joker mismatch, but either way McDonald should be selected on the second day.

I believe his versatility and size make him a perfect fit as our #2 TE. He already knows how to run routes and work in space, he also has big hands and long arms ( big assets in the Red Zone ) if he can adapt to inline blocking, he would be a great weapon for our team.
We are on the same page. Whatever round they draft a TE is fine with me. But the #2 TE has to be able to block. Also, if you go back and look at Harbaugh's teams at Stanford and San Diego, there are TE's galore, and they all seem to be big bodies and at least 6'4. I like Kelce a lot. And it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted 2 TE's even early. The Niners might like a couple of guys and they could draft 2 guys early and let them duke it out in training camp. The best guy can win and the other can come in as fresh legs or jumbo packages or if VD or the #2 TE gets hurt. Right now it's VD and Celek so we need depth as well.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
We are on the same page. Whatever round they draft a TE is fine with me. But the #2 TE has to be able to block. Also, if you go back and look at Harbaugh's teams at Stanford and San Diego, there are TE's galore, and they all seem to be big bodies and at least 6'4. I like Kelce a lot. And it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted 2 TE's even early. The Niners might like a couple of guys and they could draft 2 guys early and let them duke it out in training camp. The best guy can win and the other can come in as fresh legs or jumbo packages or if VD or the #2 TE gets hurt. Right now it's VD and Celek so we need depth as well.

I really dig that idea of 2 TE's. I don' think undrafted Celek is any kind of lock to make this roster. With multiple picks, there will be 4 TE's ( not including Dobbs ) on this roster by Memorial Day. I think one TE will go in the 3rd while another can go in the 6th or later, maybe a Nick Kasa or Levine Toilolo. I really believe that out of the 13 picks we have, only 7-8 make the 53 at best. However, for the comp 7th rounders ( 246 + 252 ) we can't trade either to move up this year or next, why not use those picks as a jump on the UDFA market? Bring in 2 extra bodies to compete, maybe one is the above TE's if they fall. This FO is not afraid to cut picks...

6th rounder ( 182 ) - Ronald Johnson
7th rounder ( 250 ) - Curtis Holcomb ( injured )

6th rounder ( 199 ) - Jason Slowey

I think you sold me jacklegniner, no doubt we draft 2 TE's this year.

You may not remember that the team started the last two years with only two TEs on the roster. Both Celek (2012) and Peelle (2011) were added to the roster after the season began. I don't think the FO regards the 3rd TE as a difficult position to fill. But the 2nd TE is vital, a half-time starter. If the Niners draft a TE that doesn't block as well as Walker, who wasn't mammoth, then the coaches will be sure to utilize other abilities as well. Walker wasn't even a TE in college, but a wide receiver. He didn't block well at the beginning of his pro career.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
You may not remember that the team started the last two years with only two TEs on the roster. Both Celek (2012) and Peelle (2011) were added to the roster after the season began. I don't think the FO regards the 3rd TE as a difficult position to fill. But the 2nd TE is vital, a half-time starter. If the Niners draft a TE that doesn't block as well as Walker, who wasn't mammoth, then the coaches will be sure to utilize other abilities as well. Walker wasn't even a TE in college, but a wide receiver. He didn't block well at the beginning of his pro career.

They started last year with 4 TE's....

Vern
Walker
Conrad Reuland
Celek ( who was an UDFA )

I would expect 4 bodies in camp again this summer.
None of this matters because we can't predict who will be choosen before us. If there is a run in defensive backs for example it may become a need to go get a safety. On that note eiffere ertz may both be gone before we pick. Long story short I trust our coach's to pick a good player and but I personally have a man crush on Eiffert. He would be a much better go up and get it receiver than VD. If you all haven't learned yet VD despite his size strength and speed doesn't have natural pass catching skills. Eiffert is exactly opposite and I personally think he would be the second best receiver on our team once he learned the offense. He is not a devastating blocker but he is servicable. Is there guys down the line that would be as good for us? I don't think there is another TE in the draft that would give us the receiving skills Eiffert will he is a special player imo. But a well rounded TE may fit our 2nd TE needs better.
Why isn't Toilolo getting more attention?

He's got elite red zone size, and (if I'm not mistaken) was the starter ahead of both Ertz and Fleener until he got injured.

I'm sure there are reasons he's barely on anyone's draft board, but his highlights look just as good to me as anyone else out there. Since we already have one elite TE and looking for a complimentary guy, it seems like drafting a high ceiling guy later makes a lot of sense.
I like Zach Ertz, Gavin Escobar, and Levine Toilolo.
Share 49ersWebzone