LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

our TE need ???

Vance McDonald, TE, Rice Height: 6-4. Weight: 267. Arm: 34 1/2. Hand: 10.18. 40 Time: 4.69. Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

is another TE who will be available on day 2. He was used in the slot at Rice, but he has strength ( 31 reps was tops for TE at the combine ) and the size ( 267 ) to LEARN to be an effective inline blocker. He has lacked in that area so far, but so did Vern. COACH EM UP JIMMY!!!!

Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Stanford TE in the first is SOOO 2012...lol Seriously though, if the 9ers wanted a pass catching TE, they would have selected Fleener in the 1st last year. I was ridding shotgun on the Fleener bandwagon 12 months ago and it didn't happen. The thing is, Harbaugh knows more about Fleener and Ertz than anyone. If he passes on them, ( Fleener was outplayed by the other Indy rookie TE Dwayne Allen last year ), there is good reason. I just don't see us drafting a TE this year in the 1st. The new 9ers FO always seem to be playing chess, couple moves ahead. Its the reason they kept Ian Williams around, even though he never suited up. They knew Soap and/or RJF were gonna get deals elsewhere this season. If they wanted a pass catching TE, they would have held onto another Stanford TE, Conrad Reuland ( called Novacek in camp because he caught everything ) instead of no hands Celek ( 14 CAREER receptions in 3 years at MSU ). I think for the #2 TE, they want a BIG blocker 1st, a tall Red Zone target 2nd and a high volume pass catcher 3rd. With Boldin, Crabb and Vern, ( hopefully AJ, Manningham and KW ) the #2 TE isn't going to see a high volume of targets in '13' or maybe even '14'. What we do need is a blocker with a nice Red Zone look during the jumbo packages. Instead of picking fat WR's who put their hand in the dirt, ( Eifert, Ertz, Reed ) can see the 9ers picking a S and DE/DT with the first two picks, and still have picks to target someone later. My personal pick! =

Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati Height: 6-5. Weight: 255. Arm: 33.68. Hand: 9.58. Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

Strengths Kelce has an ideal tight end frame. Athletic for his size, with great strength, and the ability to stretch the field vertically. Very physical run blocker, generates power from the lower half, and will move defenders off the ball. Plays with leverage. Wide catching radius, can adjust and make the difficult catch. Tough to bring down after the catch. Light feet, and has lined up in numerous different positions.

Weaknesses Suspended for an entire season for violating team rules. Only one season of production. Doesn't have blazing speed. Not a tremendously explosive athlete. Doesn't come out of his breaks all that well.

NFL Comparison Rob Gronkowski

Bottom Line Kelce has been a tremendous run blocker throughout his career for the Bearcats, but really elevated his game as a receiver in his senior season. The senior caught 45 passes for 722 yards with eight touchdowns in 2012. He isn't a tremendous athlete, but he does a lot of things very well. It's a deep tight end class, but Kelce's play suggests that he should be highly sought after.

We shall see!

If we could get a Rob Gronkowski like TE out of the draft that would be fantastic. We are looking for mismatches in the backfield against LBs and safeties. If we could get a good pass catching, good blocker, dependable receiver, and have him team up with V. Davis we would have ourselves quite the receiing corps. We will see. Thanks for the update on Kelce.
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Pair either Ertz or Eifert with Vernon & you will see why!!!

I agree with this.

Alone those guys aren't blazing pass catchers and both would struggle with the speed of the NFL game, but paired with Davis these guys are seeing single coverage from the other teams worst pass defender!
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Pair either Ertz or Eifert with Vernon & you will see why!!!

I agree with this.

Alone those guys aren't blazing pass catchers and both would struggle with the speed of the NFL game, but paired with Davis these guys are seeing single coverage from the other teams worst pass defender!

Then why not pick Fleener last year? He was bigger, faster, a better router runner than both Ertz and Eifert. Because they really wanted AJ? I don't buy it. The #2 TE needs to be a solid blocker first, pass catcher 2nd. I think Ertz has a better chance to be a solid blocker, but he has not shown that ability up to this point, neither did Fleener.

Hey I would like the Ertz pick at 31 or 34, because it would mean Jimbo really sees something in the kid since he knows more about Ertz than anyone in the NFL. Like Fleener a year ago though, I just don't see it happening.
Then why not pick Fleener last year?

Because they had Walker as the entrenched #2 last year and don't this year.

Last year everyone also thought Ertz was a better prospect than Fleener. People even talked about how Harbaugh wouldn't take Fleener b/c he wanted Ertz the following year.

When comparing Stanford TE Zach Ertz to former Stanford TE Coby Fleener as a pro prospect, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah deemed Ertz superior in terms of instincts, strength, and toughness.

"Several" Stanford coaches concur with Jeremiah that Ertz is a better NFL prospect than Fleener, who was drafted with last year's 34th overall pick. Whereas Fleener was more of a finesse, straight-line speedster, Ertz threatens more areas of the field and is a better blocker. We tentatively have Ertz ranked as this year's top draft-eligible tight end, ahead of Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM ]
I can also appreciate the previously mentioned approach of drafting a Dion Sims or Travis Kelce later in the rounds. It is not like we are force-feeding Eifert or Ertz on people. Just saying, that if one or the other turns out to be the selection with one of our first picks? People should accept that and understand that the decision will still be a nice boost to our offense. There can be a lot of flexibility in our decision-making... smile.
Ertz and Boldin in the red zone, just dreaming a little.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Then why not pick Fleener last year?

Because they had Walker as the entrenched #2 last year and don't this year.

Last year everyone also thought Ertz was a better prospect than Fleener. People even talked about how Harbaugh wouldn't take Fleener b/c he wanted Ertz the following year.

When comparing Stanford TE Zach Ertz to former Stanford TE Coby Fleener as a pro prospect, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah deemed Ertz superior in terms of instincts, strength, and toughness.

"Several" Stanford coaches concur with Jeremiah that Ertz is a better NFL prospect than Fleener, who was drafted with last year's 34th overall pick. Whereas Fleener was more of a finesse, straight-line speedster, Ertz threatens more areas of the field and is a better blocker. We tentatively have Ertz ranked as this year's top draft-eligible tight end, ahead of Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert.

DONT DO THIS TO ME POPEYE!!!! I was the band leader last year for Fleener and drooled over his forty time at Stanford's ProDay. I was dreaming of the Davis/Fleener monster streaking down the hashes. You DO NOT have to convince me the virtues of having two monster pass catching TE's in this offense. I thought there was no way he would fall to us...when our pick came up and he was on the board, I was jumping up and down!!!! then..."with the 30th pick, the San Francisco 49ers select......AJ Jenkins"...NOOOOOOO!!! I'm not gonna do it again Popeye, I can't get my heart broken, so Im going the safe route and saying go after a DL or S....but since DL is so deep this year....hmmmmmm....NO NO! I refuse!!!

Ertz is not gonna happen................right?
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
^^^^ hahahahahaha

Seriously though, I don't think Ertz is gonna end up a 9er, although it makes me pretty sad, too.
Vance McDonald, TE, Rice Height: 6-4. Weight: 267. Arm: 34 1/2. Hand: 10.18. 40 Time: 4.69. Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

is another TE who will be available on day 2. He was used in the slot at Rice, but he has strength ( 31 reps was tops for TE at the combine ) and the size ( 267 ) to LEARN to be an effective inline blocker. He has lacked in that area so far, but so did Vern. COACH EM UP JIMMY!!!!

One of the players I will be keeping my eye on. I feel that he'd be a great fit for us.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I see so many people mock drafting us a TE at #34 Eifert or Ertz I don't understand why this is when we have Davis a very high pay TE/star ..I know we lost walker but unlike most I didn't think he was that good ... so why use ahigh pick on a TE unless your thinking Davis N his high cost will be gone in a yr of two ????

Because Harbaugh and Roman's offense if heavily dependent on having two (and preferably three) high quality TEs.

+1

Having two dangerous weapons at TE can be very effective for our scheme. Aside from that and Jeebus forbid... what happens if Vernon misses games with an injury???? Do we then come out with Celek +/or a later rd TE rookie to "scare" defenses?

easy we throw it to boldin and crabtree... We will draft someone we have too, saftey, tightend and dline not in any order but will all be drafted we have 14 picks we can get two of each if we feel the need...
Originally posted by SF69ers:

One of the players I will be keeping my eye on. I feel that he'd be a great fit for us.

Yeah kid seems like a great fit, especially for where we could get him at. As a side note, the 9ers hosted another day 2 TE =

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/20/4126870/2013-nfl-draft-49ers-gavin-escobar-visit

Escobar is a big body, but I think this is just a smoke screen by our boys, this guy is a pure receiving TE =

Analysis
Strengths Excellent hands catcher, very natural. Locates ball over shoulder very easily, picks the target out of the air effortlessly. Runs the seam like a wideout, long strides and eats up ground. Frequently beat defensive backs vertically, especially when they anticipated the route to be broken off. Absorbs contact even when catching away from body. Can sustain a run block if he gets inside hand position and latch. Frequently used in motion before the snap. Occasionally slow plays first few steps to get defensive back flat footed.

Weaknesses Does not absorb or run through contact as well during routes as he does at the catch point. A straight-line mover after the catch, very little wiggle or straight-up tackle breaking. Not a blocker, either plays too close to his body or lunges from a distance. Soft and tentative on first contact. Was held out of the full-time starting role in 2011 because of it. Leads with elbows or shoulders when blocking.

NFL Comparison Jacob Tamme

Bottom Line As a receiving target, Escobar is exactly what NFL teams are looking for. His fluidity and downfield comfort is effortless, as is Escobar's near refusal to body catch. However, the same issue that kept Escobar out of a full-time role in 2011 could limit his snaps in the NFL: inconsistent blocking. Still, Escobar is a talented receiving option that teams will use around the offensive formation.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Luke Wilson sounded like he could be solid as well. Both had great pro days, Wilson ran a 4.59 and a 4.46 in the 40. And is a great blocker.
If be happy with either prospect.
What do you guys think about Jordan Reed out of Florida? I haven't seen too much of his play but from the things I have heard from Mike Mayock on NFL network and stuff I've read, he seems to be a nice replacement for Delanie. He's quick and good in space. Delanie was used as an H back or split out, rarely as an inline blocker. I think Reed would thrive in that position.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jordan-reed?id=2540160

Analysis

Strengths Used from a variety of spot along the formation: inline tight end, detached tight end, receiver, H-back, and even some running back. Adequate blocker when able to ride the shoulder and drive. Resets and gets after his assignment in the running game if missed the first time. Very smooth in breaks on outside breaking routes. Shines with the ball in hand, makes moves in space like a big running back with agility. Consistently makes oncoming defenders miss with hops, cuts, or speed. Flashes getting physical to earn the first down or extra yard at the end of runs. Good mix of hands catching and letting it into his body against tight coverage.

Weaknesses Fails to get over the face of the defensive end when reach blocking. Footwork is not consistent or sustained often enough when blocking, causes him to go to the ground. Posture can get too tall when attacking shoulder of opposition, loses positioning in that way. Needs better anticipation when asked to block at the second level. The type that turns and watches the play after the ball carrier runs past him. Route tree is limited, many or flare outs to the flats. Asked to sit down in soft areas. Hips can get too high when he is asked to run routes, not much exaggeration with head movement.

NFL Comparison Aaron Hernandez

Edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW_Za3CWjmo his draft profile on youtube.
[ Edited by KegBert on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM ]
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Luke Wilson sounded like he could be solid as well. Both had great pro days, Wilson ran a 4.59 and a 4.46 in the 40. And is a great blocker.
If be happy with either prospect.

Wilson did pretty well too. Much more raw prospect, definitely not as talented but has good potential. He could be had as an undrafted player the same way that Celek was.
Share 49ersWebzone