LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Please show me the light (Cyprien)

Originally posted by smithc28:
Does anyone think safetys have enough impact to be drafted 1 st round?

I certainly don't. I think the secondary should always be selected from late 2nd onwards unless a true exception e.g Ed Reed.

I don't think anyone in this draft brings enough to be selected with our 31st nevermind higher

Nothing is absolute. If a guy is an impact player and you're in a position to get him, you should do it.

That said, everything I've read about Cyprien suggests that he's better suited to play SS, not FS. I don't really watch college ball, so I'm not qualified to say for sure one way or another, but I do think that if he can't play FS then we should look elsewhere.
Well he's an aggressive player and a tone setter in the secondary. He's a big time hitter so I would imagine that automatically means he can't cover and is strictly a head hunter in the eyes of most members of this forum. Probably automatically means we should pass and keep looking for that mid round "ball hawk" type of safety that are so easy to find. I think people forget how important run support and open field tackling is from safeties at this level. What good is a ball hawk if he can't tackle for dick. I swear people just don't understand how hard the position is to play and how its even harder to find a complete player to play it.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Well he's an aggressive player and a tone setter in the secondary. He's a big time hitter so I would imagine that automatically means he can't cover and is strictly a head hunter in the eyes of most members of this forum. Probably automatically means we should pass and keep looking for that mid round "ball hawk" type of safety that are so easy to find. I think people forget how important run support and open field tackling is from safeties at this level. What good is a ball hawk if he can't tackle for dick. I swear people just don't understand how hard the position is to play and how its even harder to find a complete player to play it.

I don't think anyone discounts that the position is difficult to play. But, considering the issues our secondary had since the New England game, I don't see why looking to add a FS with good cover skills is a bad thing.

Just like batting down passes, hard hitting isn't everything either. If there's one thing I learned last season, it's that GOOD teams don't give two craps about "physical" defenses.

They'll just keep plugging away until they find a soft spot and then it's game on.
I don't get the hype. The guy wasn't even on the map before the Senior bowl. Only the most dedicated college ball fans knew of him.

I don't think he's going to be any better than a Dashon Goldson in coverage or tackling. He played against scrubs and in the Senior bowl practices, I seen bad angles, high pad level. Hes going to be avg.

Watch, he's just getting draft hype because of the lack of top talent at the position. Swearinger will be better. Elam and Evans will be better. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but you be ready to eat crow too if you guys disagree.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I don't get the hype. The guy wasn't even on the map before the Senior bowl. Only the most dedicated college ball fans knew of him.

I don't think he's going to be any better than a Dashon Goldson in coverage or tackling. He played against scrubs and in the Senior bowl practices, I seen bad angles, high pad level. Hes going to be avg.

Watch, he's just getting draft hype because of the lack of top talent at the position. Swearinger will be better. Elam and Evans will be better. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but you be ready to eat crow too if you guys disagree.

I really don't get the hype either. I think Eric Reid is a much better Safety prospect. More on Cyprien from former GM Charley Casserly, who listed him as OVERRATED =

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160958/article/2013-nfl-drafts-overrated-and-underrated-prospects

John Cyprien
There has been a buzz about the Florida International safety, but Casserly doesn't believe Cyprien is a first-round pick.

"He misses an awful lot of tackles," Casserly said. "I think he makes mistakes on play action. At times, I question what he sees and I see some stiffness in him in man-to-man coverage."
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

I really don't get the hype either. I think Eric Reid is a much better Safety prospect. More on Cyprien from former GM Charley Casserly, who listed him as OVERRATED =

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160958/article/2013-nfl-drafts-overrated-and-underrated-prospects

John Cyprien
There has been a buzz about the Florida International safety, but Casserly doesn't believe Cyprien is a first-round pick.

"He misses an awful lot of tackles," Casserly said. "I think he makes mistakes on play action. At times, I question what he sees and I see some stiffness in him in man-to-man coverage."

LETS GOOO!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone