LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Please show me the light (Cyprien)

I've posted in several threads about not seeing what's so special about Cyprien. I've been able to watch a few games and came away very unimpressed. Could someone please show me the light! Show me what everyone loves so much about this guy. I'd be most grateful!
No one on here has seen more then the few 5 min clips on youtube that Im guessing you have based your judgment on. So most people are basing their opinion on the scouting reports, senior bowl and the fact that he looks the part in highlights.

From Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
Finished studying 3 games on Jonathan Cyprien (safety-FIU)…Rock solid, well-rounded, day one starter. Fluid, athletic, tough, ball skills
I think he is a SOLID option in the 2nd RD!
Originally posted by natrone06:
No one on here has seen more then the few 5 min clips on youtube that Im guessing you have based your judgment on. So most people are basing their opinion on the scouting reports, senior bowl and the fact that he looks the part in highlights.

Finished studying 3 games on Jonathan Cyprien (safety-FIU)…Rock solid, well-rounded, day one starter. Fluid, athletic, tough, ball skills

Yeah pretty much everyone (including myself) has been basing their judgement off of scouting reports from the senior bowl and the combine, as well as a few highlights..
There are full game tapes of him up on youtube (or were). I just saw him whiffing on tackles way too frequently, and having really poor form when he did try to wrap up. I came away unimpressed.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for RollinWith21n52.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
There are full game tapes of him up on youtube (or were). I just saw him whiffing on tackles way too frequently, and having really poor form when he did try to wrap up. I came away unimpressed.

YES! This is exactly what I saw! And getting eaten up on a red zone TD by a small school, no-name WR and QB
He spends the first half of this game playing inside the box. He's very impressive in run support, and even as a blitzer. The 2nd half of the game he spends as a deep safety, and the results are mixed. Really only 2 plays challenged him. The first he got beaten bad and gave up a long gain, the second was a pick in the red zone. This was one of his more impressive showings from what I saw...but also against very weak competition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpWdR8WhX6E
So if he is unimpressive, what safety have you seen play that was impressive?

Every safety in this draft is going to have mistakes on film and whiff on some tackles. Theres a reason there is no safety being considered a top 10 pick. You don't see safeties in college have perfect games.

Hmm 5 minute highlight clips.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

5 minutes clips and highlights are very different. The clips here refers to are every play that player was involved in during the game. For a safety 5 minutes is usually sufficient.

Originally posted by SolRebe1:

5 minutes clips and highlights are very different. The clips here refers to are every play that player was involved in during the game. For a safety 5 minutes is usually sufficient.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
So if he is unimpressive, what safety have you seen play that was impressive?

Every safety in this draft is going to have mistakes on film and whiff on some tackles. Theres a reason there is no safety being considered a top 10 pick. You don't see safeties in college have perfect games.

None really. Maybe Tony Jefferson...
Watch him against Lousville. He looked pretty solid to me. Look for the full games on you tube. Don't ever judge a player off a highlight video (unless it's 20 min long like Austin's), but yes being a force during the senior bowl week against better competition only increased my opinion of him being a big time player.

LOCK THE THREAD... LONG LIVE THE CYPRIEN!!!!!
how do you pronounce his name? ..Is it SY-PRIAN or SIP-RIAN?

anyway he looks good..hope he's there at #34

i really hope with either 31 or 34 they pick between Elam, Reid, or Cyprien...anyone of those guys is fine with me
The thing about Cyprien...he's most likely a SS in the NFL. At least that's what most scouting reports say. He can hit hard...but pass coverage isn't necessarily his strong suit. He thrives playing in/near the box, where he can lay the wood to ball carriers. So, if you're thinking of him as a FS, that's probably not the position he'll play in the pros. He could still be worth drafting, given Whitner's in the last year of his contract. If so, then begs the question would he be better in pass coverage than Donte...he'd be cheaper, that's for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone