LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Please show me the light (Cyprien)

Originally posted by SkyGod:
You guys really wanna draft plug and play a rookie safety or corner on a 49ers 2013 Super Bowl contending team?

I guarantee you they will be targeted and torched especially by elite teams with elite QB's & WR's.

John Cyprien Weaknesses: Doesn't have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/john-cyprien?id=2539223

Eric Reid Weaknesses: Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn't hurt him in college.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/eric-reid?id=2540152

Matt Elam Weaknesses: Would rather drift laterally against the run rather than plant his outside foot, free outside arm, and force run upfield immediately. For how many hard hitting splash plays he makes, he could be much more aggressive every down. Little urgency to his game. Seen standing around far too often. Waits on screen rather than attacking while ball is getting there. Tries to make the big hit far too often, lunges, leads with shoulder, or leaves his feet rather than just wrapping up

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/matt-elam?id=2540153

Do you know who wrote those? Was it Mayock? BTW, the 90+ rating for Cyprien is extremely good
Originally posted by SkyGod:
You guys really wanna draft plug and play a rookie safety or corner on a 49ers 2013 Super Bowl contending team?

I guarantee you they will be targeted and torched especially by elite teams with elite QB's & WR's.

John Cyprien Weaknesses: Doesn't have elite range or the height/length combination to play as a single-deep safety. Quick enough to make a hit after the catch when deep, but is often a step slow to recognize the pass coming into his area. Aggressive in coverage, he can be sucked up by play action and will jump underneath routes, allowing plays over the top. Lacks elite change of direction and quickness in man coverage, and does not recover like a corner if beaten by a quick move off the line or in space.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/john-cyprien?id=2539223

Eric Reid Weaknesses: Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned, might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or in the aid of a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn't hurt him in college.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/eric-reid?id=2540152

Matt Elam Weaknesses: Would rather drift laterally against the run rather than plant his outside foot, free outside arm, and force run upfield immediately. For how many hard hitting splash plays he makes, he could be much more aggressive every down. Little urgency to his game. Seen standing around far too often. Waits on screen rather than attacking while ball is getting there. Tries to make the big hit far too often, lunges, leads with shoulder, or leaves his feet rather than just wrapping up

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/matt-elam?id=2540153

so you don't think that these players have the potential to learn from NFL caliber coaches?
"Pro Football Talk reports FIU S Johnathan Cyprien has 11 team visits set up.

The site tweeted the 11 teams that Cyprien will be visiting with via their official Twitter account. They are as follows: "Falcons, Panthers, Redskins, Cowboys, Dolphins, Jags, Cards, Titans, Browns, Niners, Texans." Cyprien would be a good fit for any of the listed teams and offers toughness, range and instincts at the position. He reminds us of the Green Bay Packers' Morgan Burnett."

rotoworld.com
Appearing on the Rich Eisen Podcast, NFL Films' Greg Cosell suggested Jonathan Cyprien of Florida International has a strong case to be the first safety selected in April's draft.
"This kid is really athletic," said Cosell. "When I watched him, I couldn't believe that he was 220 pounds and the way he moved. He had an interception against Louisville that was just unbelievable. He came from the middle of the field all the way to the sideline. For a second, it looked like Ed Reed. I don't think he'll be the first safety drafted, but I wouldn't have a problem if he was the first safety drafted." We expect Cyprien's draft window to begin at No. 18 with the Cowboys. The Rams at No. 22 could also be in play

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8450/player
The only thing truly negative on the kid is from nfl.com? Everywhere else seems to think exactly the opposite.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Mar 30, 2013 at 3:09 AM ]
Cyprien is a moster and is officially my number one target for the niners. Id trade up to 15 overall to land cyprien.
"NFL Films' Greg Cosell could see FIU's Johnathan Cyprien becoming the best S "in this draft class three or four years down the road."

Yes. Cyprien has been a section favorite since prior to the Senior Bowl, where he showed more range than was allowed at FIU due to his role as primarily a strong safety. "Even as a deep defender, Cyprien showed a very smooth back pedal, with the ability to plant and drive with burst and speed," Cosell writes. "I must admit I did not expect that. And his range as a single high safety, with his size and stride length, was outstanding."

Source: Yahoo! Shutdown Corner
Apr 9 - 11:53 AM
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Cyprien is a moster and is officially my number one target for the niners. Id trade up to 15 overall to land cyprien.

Boy am I glad you aren't GM

I don't care how good the guy may (or may not) be, absolutely NO safety I've seen drafted in recent memory deserves a top 15 pick. Cyprien is certainly not an exception. I have absolutely no doubt that he will be picked no sooner than middle of the 2nd round.
Originally posted by blm7754:

I don't care how good the guy may (or may not) be, absolutely NO safety I've seen drafted in recent memory deserves a top 15 pick. Cyprien is certainly not an exception. I have absolutely no doubt that he will be picked no sooner than middle of the 2nd round.

Let me add additional evidence to how bad it would be to pick a safety in the 1st. Since 2006, the following safeties have been picked in the 1st round:

2012:
none

2011:
none

2010:
Eric Berry - 5th overall (decent player for the Chiefs, but there a host of better players they could have picked instead)
Earl Thomas - 14th overall (good pick by Seattle)

2009:
none

2008:
Kenny Phillips - 31st overall (under-performer)

2007:
LaRon Landry - 6th overall (major under-performer)
Michael Griffin - 19th overall (decent pick, solid career in Tennessee)

2006:
Michael Huff - 7th overall (bust)
Donte Whitner - 8th overall (major under-performer)

I rest my case.

Let me add additional evidence to how bad it would be to pick a safety in the 1st. Since 2006, the following safeties have been picked in the 1st round:

2012:
none

2011:
none

2010:
Eric Berry - 5th overall (decent player for the Chiefs, but there a host of better players they could have picked instead)

2009:
none

2008:

2007:

2006:

I rest my case.

As you are glad that he is not gm I am equally as happy you aren't. Any gm who based any draft strategy on the " evidence " above would be fired immediately. 1st round safety classes from the last 6 years has no baring on this years class. The only relevant thing is the individuals tape and workouts. Passing on the next Reed, Polamalu, At-water, Dawkins, Sharper, Lott, Tatum (1st/2nd picks) because Michael huff was a bust is ridiculous. .
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I've posted in several threads about not seeing what's so special about Cyprien. I've been able to watch a few games and came away very unimpressed. Could someone please show me the light! Show me what everyone loves so much about this guy. I'd be most grateful!

Ditto. I'm very worried about his coverage skills against NFL competition.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Matt Elam at #34 would be perfect. I like Cyprien, but Elam seem's to be a bit more proven considering the competion he faced vs the competion Cyprien faced.

2012:
none

2011:
none

2010:

2009:
none

2008:

2007:

2006:

I rest my case.

calling Eric Berry a decent pick is just disrespectful
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
calling Eric Berry a decent pick is just disrespectful

I stopped reading after that... Berry was considered one of the top safety prospects of the decade, only thing holding him back so far is injuries otherwise he is a stud.
Does anyone think safetys have enough impact to be drafted 1 st round?

I certainly don't. I think the secondary should always be selected from late 2nd onwards unless a true exception e.g Ed Reed.

I don't think anyone in this draft brings enough to be selected with our 31st nevermind higher
Share 49ersWebzone