There are 290 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tavon Austin in the 1st

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'd fall out of my chair if they used any of their first three picks on an offensive player. Their defense simply collapsed last season. For the last 6 or so games of the season and post season, they had no pass rush and couldn't cover receivers to save their lives. They gave up more points in the SB than any Niner SB team ever has. And, at the same time, their offense averaged over 30 points a game without Manningham, K. Williams and Hunter active. Why on earth does anyone around here think they'd spend a bunch of their first picks on a receiver. And please, no more "have you seen him play?" Yes, I've seen him play. He was an outstanding college player. As everyone should know by now, that doesn't guarantee anything, especially when they have so many needs on defense.

Well the defense had a lot to do with the Smith bros injuries which lacked pass rush on the 49ers 2nd half of the season. 49ers signings of DL are great depth & really Safety is our weak spot as of now which in this draft their are about 6 safeties that can start from day 1 as reported. We need 1 FS starter and the rest is depth on defense which can be addressed in the later rounds.

Austin on the other hand adds to the element of the pistol offense which we are now running also in a return specialist his value to the 49ers is like no other player in this draft and would be a great asset to the Offense especially CK7 which is probably why the 49ers would be a great show to watch every game.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'd fall out of my chair if they used any of their first three picks on an offensive player. Their defense simply collapsed last season. For the last 6 or so games of the season and post season, they had no pass rush and couldn't cover receivers to save their lives. They gave up more points in the SB than any Niner SB team ever has. And, at the same time, their offense averaged over 30 points a game without Manningham, K. Williams and Hunter active. Why on earth does anyone around here think they'd spend a bunch of their first picks on a receiver. And please, no more "have you seen him play?" Yes, I've seen him play. He was an outstanding college player. As everyone should know by now, that doesn't guarantee anything, especially when they have so many needs on defense.

The collapse at the end was the lack of depth after Justin and Aldon's injury. Our success in passing defense was our pressure and luckily this year there are a good amount all over the draft. We have 14 picks in the draft, we need to get rid of some anyways and if Baalke things Austin is worth the risk, then i am on board.
So just say we took him... We'd have Aj. Boldin. Crabtree. Austin. Kyle. VD. And Rookie Tightend. If we scored under 50 points a game I be pissed. But really the defense needs a facelift, tummy tuck, and a boob job. We need to focus on defense were young on offense besides gore, we need to get youth and talent for the defense to keep on being elite. It's quicker to fix a defense anyways we don't have to many holes lets plug them now before we get more with the lose of justin. Than next season and later picks in the draft we can add some more talent to the offense like tightends and Wr's.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,072
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
So just say we took him... We'd have Aj. Boldin. Crabtree. Austin. Kyle. VD. And Rookie Tightend. If we scored under 50 points a game I be pissed. But really the defense needs a facelift, tummy tuck, and a boob job. We need to focus on defense were young on offense besides gore, we need to get youth and talent for the defense to keep on being elite. It's quicker to fix a defense anyways we don't have to many holes lets plug them now before we get more with the lose of justin. Than next season and later picks in the draft we can add some more talent to the offense like tightends and Wr's.

I agree that we need to add the defense, but moving up to get Austin would not necessarily mean we can not get what we need on defense.

Other than Crabtree and Boldin, our wide receivers are not a solid group.

We will be lucky if Manningham can play before the middle of the season.

Kyle Williams is just not that good. AJ is, to say the least, unproven.

We are going to draft a wide reciever.

I would like that receiver to be Tavon Austin.
I agree that defense needs to be a pivotal focus but with that said Austin is a special playmaker and with all the dimensions that he could bring to this team, with an opportunity to get him, I don't think that thought should be taken lightly by anybody. I think people should realize that a draft is won by what you do in the later rounds not the first or second round. The guy that may be the best player on our defense now and thats up for debate, Bowman was a third round pick. The point is, we can still have Austin and get solid defensive players later in this draft. I'm on board for whatever.
Austin is impressive.....but we can get Denard Robinson in the lower rounds.imo
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'd fall out of my chair if they used any of their first three picks on an offensive player. Their defense simply collapsed last season. For the last 6 or so games of the season and post season, they had no pass rush and couldn't cover receivers to save their lives. They gave up more points in the SB than any Niner SB team ever has. And, at the same time, their offense averaged over 30 points a game without Manningham, K. Williams and Hunter active. Why on earth does anyone around here think they'd spend a bunch of their first picks on a receiver. And please, no more "have you seen him play?" Yes, I've seen him play. He was an outstanding college player. As everyone should know by now, that doesn't guarantee anything, especially when they have so many needs on defense.

The collapse at the end was the lack of depth after Justin and Aldon's injury. Our success in passing defense was our pressure and luckily this year there are a good amount all over the draft. We have 14 picks in the draft, we need to get rid of some anyways and if Baalke things Austin is worth the risk, then i am on board.

I don't think they just need depth. I think they need another impact defensive lineman to start immediately rotating with Justin Smith AND depth. And I think they need a starting-quality safety. If there is one there in round three, that's great, but I'm skeptical. But really, it's not like I'd be disappointed or anything if they feel they need to go for Austin. I agree that he's probably going to be fantastic at the next level. What I don't agree with is this idea that you draft Austin as an answer to Harvin. That's not the way it works. You draft a quick, physical corner or a safety as an answer to Percy Harvin. You've got to cover him on defense. Offense is irrelevant when you're planning for Percy Harvin.
Agree w/ GNeilsen - IMPACT DLineman.

As a gambler - I'd bet 10-1 we DON"T take Austin.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree w/ GNeilsen - IMPACT DLineman.

As a gambler - I'd bet 10-1 we DON"T take Austin.

I don't think Austin will even be on the board when we pick (unless we move up), but the next time that Baalke takes a guy that's on the Webzone's radar will be the first.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't think they just need depth. I think they need another impact defensive lineman to start immediately rotating with Justin Smith AND depth. And I think they need a starting-quality safety. If there is one there in round three, that's great, but I'm skeptical. But really, it's not like I'd be disappointed or anything if they feel they need to go for Austin. I agree that he's probably going to be fantastic at the next level. What I don't agree with is this idea that you draft Austin as an answer to Harvin. That's not the way it works. You draft a quick, physical corner or a safety as an answer to Percy Harvin. You've got to cover him on defense. Offense is irrelevant when you're planning for Percy Harvin.

I see your point. But I don't see Austin as an answer to Harvin. We have more opponents than the seahawks. Adding another dimension to the offense will make the team even deadlier. And as for your concern on drafting a db to answer Harvin. I would take a look at TJ McDonald, Jamar Taylor, Jordan Poyer, Darius Slay, or David Amerson. These guys are 2-4th round prospects that have potential to be very special.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't think they just need depth. I think they need another impact defensive lineman to start immediately rotating with Justin Smith AND depth. And I think they need a starting-quality safety. If there is one there in round three, that's great, but I'm skeptical. But really, it's not like I'd be disappointed or anything if they feel they need to go for Austin. I agree that he's probably going to be fantastic at the next level. What I don't agree with is this idea that you draft Austin as an answer to Harvin. That's not the way it works. You draft a quick, physical corner or a safety as an answer to Percy Harvin. You've got to cover him on defense. Offense is irrelevant when you're planning for Percy Harvin.

I see your point. But I don't see Austin as an answer to Harvin. We have more opponents than the seahawks. Adding another dimension to the offense will make the team even deadlier. And as for your concern on drafting a db to answer Harvin. I would take a look at TJ McDonald, Jamar Taylor, Jordan Poyer, Darius Slay, or David Amerson. These guys are 2-4th round prospects that have potential to be very special.

A big corner will solve Harvin? Actually a smaller corner would imo Amendola beat our CBs all day especially Rogers who is very physical. We need a quick/fast CB Best cover corner in this draft is Robert Alford (2nd) imo but Mathieu (4th) would be a good pick in the later rounds he is just feisty and get under WRs skins.
According to Barrows, the Niners have set up a meeting with Tavon Austin, so maybe some of you will get your wish. I think it's a classic HarBaalke head fake, but we'll see.
Why do people keep talking about impact Dlinemen... no D lineman drafted at 31 would be able to start anywhere other than NT. Austin would make an impact everywhere. He ran 4.3s on what is turning out to be some slow turf in Indy. With the emphasis on special teams this offseason, it wouldnt surprise me if we swapped with the bears if Austin falls to 20.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Why do people keep talking about impact Dlinemen... no D lineman drafted at 31 would be able to start anywhere other than NT. Austin would make an impact everywhere. He ran 4.3s on what is turning out to be some slow turf in Indy. With the emphasis on special teams this offseason, it wouldnt surprise me if we swapped with the bears if Austin falls to 20.

I'm not sure where you got that. This draft is so deep that some draft watchers think there will be d-linemen taken in the 2nd round who will start right away and make an impact. Greg Cosell recently said the Niners can probably get an impact D lineman to start in the rotation immediately with their third pick. At 31 or 34 they can get Datone Jones, a DE most people think can start right away. Or, they could probably get Margus Hunt with their own later 2nd rounder, a 6'8", 280 lb. DE with a non-stop motor that most people think can step right into almost any rotation. And, there are lots of starting-caliber safeties in that pick range.

But, even though I think they need to work on their defense, I wouldn't be upset or anything if they went for Austin. He's definitely an exciting player and they'd have a return man who could take it to the house at any time from anywhere on the field. The draft is so deep with defense that HarBaalke might feel they can get good defensive value at lower rounds. If that's the case, maybe we will see them trade up past the Vikings to take Austin because if he's there at 23 or 25, he definitely won't get past the Vikings. They just got rid of their malcontent who is basically the same kind of player.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Why do people keep talking about impact Dlinemen... no D lineman drafted at 31 would be able to start anywhere other than NT. Austin would make an impact everywhere. He ran 4.3s on what is turning out to be some slow turf in Indy. With the emphasis on special teams this offseason, it wouldnt surprise me if we swapped with the bears if Austin falls to 20.

I'm not sure where you got that. This draft is so deep that some draft watchers think there will be d-linemen taken in the 2nd round who will start right away and make an impact. Greg Cosell recently said the Niners can probably get an impact D lineman to start in the rotation immediately with their third pick. At 31 or 34 they can get Datone Jones, a DE most people think can start right away. Or, they could probably get Margus Hunt with their own later 2nd rounder, a 6'8", 280 lb. DE with a non-stop motor that most people think can step right into almost any rotation. And, there are lots of starting-caliber safeties in that pick range.

But, even though I think they need to work on their defense, I wouldn't be upset or anything if they went for Austin. He's definitely an exciting player and they'd have a return man who could take it to the house at any time from anywhere on the field. The draft is so deep with defense that HarBaalke might feel they can get good defensive value at lower rounds. If that's the case, maybe we will see them trade up past the Vikings to take Austin because if he's there at 23 or 25, he definitely won't get past the Vikings. They just got rid of their malcontent who is basically the same kind of player.

I think we agree, maybe its just a few posters making allot of posts but some seem intent on drafting a DE at 31 to replace Smith even though that player would play very little in his first two years compared to other guys mentioned like Austin who would be on the field all the time for special teams or Eifert (although unlikely he falls) who would play 40-50% of the offensive snaps and be a beast in the redzone.
[ Edited by 5280High on Mar 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM ]