There are 160 users in the forums

Cornellius Carradine

We aren't married to the 3-4
I don't understand how people get fixed on locking a guy to a certain position. Tank is 6 foot 4 amd weighs 276. Justin Smith when he got drafted was 6 ft 4 and weighed 267. Smith was a good 4-3 DE. He is also great as a 3-4 DE. Tank can add 20 pounds and do the exact same thing.

I'm not even saying that this is the best move but it is possible.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Olb to rotate with brooks and Aldon. A team can never have enough pass rushers.

Won't draft a rotational olb that high. If we did draft him, it'd be as a 3-4 DE.

I think balke would and he is strictly a 4-3 end or 3-4 olb.

If he can't transition to 3-4 DE, I highly doubt we draft him. A backup 3-4 OLB will not get drafted that high.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I don't understand how people get fixed on locking a guy to a certain position. Tank is 6 foot 4 amd weighs 276. Justin Smith when he got drafted was 6 ft 4 and weighed 267. Smith was a good 4-3 DE. He is also great as a 3-4 DE. Tank can add 20 pounds and do the exact same thing.

Height and weight have very little to do with it. It's the type of players they are. Tank is a a explosive edge rusher with great dip. You don't move those guys to 5 technique. Justin smith on the other hand was always more of a bull rusher who could more naturally transition to 3-4 end.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Height and weight have very little to do with it. It's the type of players they are. Tank is a a explosive edge rusher with great dip. You don't move those guys to 5 technique. Justin smith on the other hand was always more of a bull rusher who could more naturally transition to 3-4 end.

Yeah that's what I see as well.
If you like Tank you should check into Brandon Jenkins. If it weren't for Jenkins getting hurt Tank wouldn't have even played this past year.
Originally posted by miked1978:
If you like Tank you should check into Brandon Jenkins. If it weren't for Jenkins getting hurt Tank wouldn't have even played this past year.

Jenkins is no where near the run stopper that Tank is. Also Jenkins is nowhere near healthy like he claims. He ran 5.0 40 at FSU's proday. I'm a BIG FSU fan but no thanks Jake. I'd take a flyer on him in the late rounds but he prolly won't last that long.
Share 49ersWebzone