LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Should we draft a RB? (2013)

Should we draft a RB? (2013)

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Please not a RB 3 yrs in a row we need defense youth RB can wait til next yr I think plus RBs translate N develop fast ....

We've already passed 3 in a row: Glen Coffee(2009), Anthony Dixon (2010), Kendall Hunter (2011), and LaMichael James (2012). NFL running backs have a shelf life of about 3-4 years. Why wouldn't you draft want to draft a RB? Gore isn't getting any younger, and last I heard, the Fountain of Youth hasn't been found. Dixon....is Dixon. LaMike/Kendall, we don't know if they can be every down type of backs. Why not get a Lattimore/Taylor type that can take over in a couple years?
I don't mind us taking a back like Marcus Lattimore, but the good news is that in the NFL, the easiest position to replace may be running back. So we probably can wait until it is a true need before we draft the next power back for this offense.
If it's mid-round (4th or 5th) that's cool with me, but we really don't need one right now. As long as Gore stays healthy he will be effective. Kendall could be a #1 back on a few teams. And LaMichael has ridiculous potential. I love all three of these backs and don't want to let any of them go.
I like Lattimore and Davis, and would be happy with either.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Please not a RB 3 yrs in a row we need defense youth RB can wait til next yr I think plus RBs translate N develop fast ....

We've already passed 3 in a row: Glen Coffee(2009), Anthony Dixon (2010), Kendall Hunter (2011), and LaMichael James (2012). NFL running backs have a shelf life of about 3-4 years. Why wouldn't you draft want to draft a RB? Gore isn't getting any younger, and last I heard, the Fountain of Youth hasn't been found. Dixon....is Dixon. LaMike/Kendall, we don't know if they can be every down type of backs. Why not get a Lattimore/Taylor type that can take over in a couple years?

UGH coffee forgot that waste til now thanks
If lattimore is available in the 3rd and no other prospect interests us, I wouldn't be mad if we picked him. Unlike the seahawks, we aren't all in for next 2-3 years, we want to make this a dynasty, 10+ years of dominance!

Its already been 4 in a row dating back to the '09 draft:

dont forget about Coffee,
we already have 6.
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
we already have 6.

Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Hampton. I count 5 (2 being expendable: Dixon and Hampton). Who is the mystery #6? Not Jacobs if that's who you think, he was cut long ago.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM ]
Marcus Lattimore

He's the second coming of Mr. Frank Gore

Originally posted by RealShaloop:
Marcus Lattimore

He's the second coming of Mr. Frank Gore
I agree. Plus Frank has already reached out to the kid after his 2nd ACL tear. So they have somewhat of a bond hopefully and Gore can pass the torch when he's done.
im all for taking lattimore in the 3rd and let him continue to rehab next year. When healthy he has more talent than both Hunter and James. Knee injuries aren't as serious as they used to be. I could see someone taking him in the late 2nd.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Can't believe I'm saying this because 365 days ago I wanted to see him gone but now I'd miss the goofy b*****d.

Yes, He has so much pride in this team, he should just be strictly special teams though.
Totatlly on the Lattimore bandwagon. Coming into this season I thought this guy was just a hair behind Trent Richardson as a talent, easily picked in the top 15 of this year's draft without that injury. With all the picks we have I think adding him in the mid rounds and placing him on IR is a move we should make. Even as we add all the speed, deception and vertical passing elements to the offense, we are still very much a power running team and Lattimore can provide the punch we will need along with Kendall and Hunter after Gore's inevitable () retirement.

I mean our first round pick last year was red shirted, might as well red shirt a third/fourth rounder with just as much potential and talent (not a knock on AJ...)
I would say no RBs in the first three rounds. After that I'm fine with Baalke identifying a high-upside player to round out the depth chart. I think we need to use our premium picks on much-needed reinforcements (1) on the defensive line, (2) in the passing game, and (3) in the secondary. Gore, Hunter, and James is a great RB trio, and Dixon is a fine #4. If we need emergency depth I'd rather sign someone off the street.

Jewel Hampton might have some upside too.
Share 49ersWebzone