There are 171 users in the forums

We will not be drafting a NT high

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Predict when we pick a NT. I say the 6th.

Its gotta be the 4th round with Jesse Williams, there really isn't anything after that, and I doubt Tomsula will want a guy that is just big and can't move two feet.

I agree. If we don't trade up for Jesse, NT isn't happening this year.

Worst case scenario is that Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams fills in at the nose, see what kind of cheap free agents are out there, suck it up and hope for the best and draft one next year. Although I'm not too sure of the NT prospects next year, only one I can think of is Louis Nix of Notre Dame. And I don't know how good Nix would be after getting rolled up against Alabama.

Baalke and Harbaugh obviously see something in Dorsey. They may plan for us to have a 300 lb NT in our system. Dude is young and a blue-chip talent. Interested to see how it works out.
Originally posted by 9RVOLS:
Worst case scenario is that Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams fills in at the nose, see what kind of cheap free agents are out there, suck it up and hope for the best and draft one next year. Although I'm not too sure of the NT prospects next year, only one I can think of is Louis Nix of Notre Dame. And I don't know how good Nix would be after getting rolled up against Alabama.

I hope we take Jesse Williams on day 3, but if not there is Daniel McCullers 6'7" 370 from Tennessee next year. The guy is a monster and moves pretty well for being so massive. Not sure what round he will be projected next year, but I have been impressed by him.

Jesus Christ we won't be drafting a NT that big.
5th round. Finally someone who plays NT. But even he plays 5 technique DE. Niners are evolving on defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I like your chances of hitting on your NCAA brackets than correctly predicting the first round in the NFL draft. Also, given Baalke's track record, I agree that trading up for a safety or grabbing a safety at #31 that might seem like a reach, is the most likely scenario. They could target Eric Reid at #31 or a dark horse pick (IMO) is David Amerson as conversion FS prospect. Just my take, but if they're willing to invest in a 7th overall pick in a guy who never played stand-up/outside linebacker before (Aldon) and teach him to convert, they could invest a 31st overall on a big college corner who has all the skills/talent to be a top NFL safety.

You win the internets!

lolz...Baalke is actually more predictable than he should be. He prioritizes needs and systematically goes out and drafts to meet those needs early in the draft.

- 2010 biggest need, OL - Davis and Iupati
- 2011 biggest needs, Pass rusher, QB - Aldon & Kap
- 2012 biggest need, WR - Jenkins
- 2013 biggest need, S and d-line - Reid, Tank
5th round. Finally someone who plays NT. But even he plays 5 technique DE. Niners are evolving on defense.

Yes , they are, they will be a more attacking D, with not only a rotation to rest, but confuse the O. I will not be surprised to see Justin Smith slide inside once in awhile with Tank moving to the DE position in the 3/4 and Aldon along side him. Teams will need to figure things out all over again, if they do that because this will affect the line's blocking scheme.
I guess you were right.
Pasted from a Niner Talk thread, my thoughts on what this draft taught us about NT:

I think the 49ers have communicated loud and clear something that at least 75% of the fan base is still reluctant to accept: They see a stout 300-310 lb guy as the prototype NT for the system they want to run. They gave Ian Williams an extension somewhat unexpectedly. Then they signed a former blue-chipper in Dorsey and promptly announced their intention to use him in a way he hasn't been used yet, at NT.

Then they passed on glaringly obvious NT prospects like Jesse Williams and Brandon Williams in favor of a total luxury pick, Corey Lemonier, who has no clear path to a starting role with Brooks and Aldon both entrenched in long-term deals.

In other words, I challenge your underlying premise that the 49ers "have to deal" with the NT position. Even if that's your opinion, I think even you would have to concede at this point that Baalke et al don't share it.
Pasted from a Niner Talk thread, my thoughts on what this draft taught us about NT:

I think the 49ers have communicated loud and clear something that at least 75% of the fan base is still reluctant to accept: They see a stout 300-310 lb guy as the prototype NT for the system they want to run. They gave Ian Williams an extension somewhat unexpectedly. Then they signed a former blue-chipper in Dorsey and promptly announced their intention to use him in a way he hasn't been used yet, at NT.

Then they passed on glaringly obvious NT prospects like Jesse Williams and Brandon Williams in favor of a total luxury pick, Corey Lemonier, who has no clear path to a starting role with Brooks and Aldon both entrenched in long-term deals.

In other words, I challenge your underlying premise that the 49ers "have to deal" with the NT position. Even if that's your opinion, I think even you would have to concede at this point that Baalke et al don't share it.

Good analysis, and I agree. Lets not also forget that Soap only played in like 40% (or less maybe) of the defensive snaps last year.

The 49ers play as much 2-4-5 as they do 3-4.

This was the whole point of this thread. Well said and case closed.
With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?

Not often does one say this in the draft forum, but you sir, were spot on!

• buck
  • Veteran

I had a different opinion, but it sure looks like you are right. Good job.
Originally posted by buck:

I had a different opinion, but it sure looks like you are right. Good job.

I salute you as well! I wan't hoping for a huge NT, just one who could collapse the pocket. If Dorsey and/or Williams can do that...great!

Edit: and I was dead wrong about them picking a traditional NT early! Or late!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
With Dorsey and Boldin on board and inking Ian Williams to an extension, looks like we will focus our high draft choices on DE and DB's. Might even trade up to get someone. Any thoughts? How does it change your mocks?

Not often does one say this in the draft forum, but you sir, were spot on!

Thank you Ghost for the props. I am humbled.
They got Dorsey in FA, the re-upped on Williams, and they have Divens at 340 lbs. Then they Drafted Dial who could play at end or NT. The great question will be who makes it through Training Camp? So they have a variety of sizes and weights and TC will sort it out for us.

Then we have a bunch of people at DE that will need to be sorted out. J.Smith, and McDonald are locks and then we have Carradine, Tukuafu, Dobbs, and Jerod-Eddy, and possibly Dial as well. Then we have Okoye in the background and a few more undrafted FAs as well. So lots of sorting during TC.

So the Niners have the bodies they just have to sort out for the 53 and the PS.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
They got Dorsey in FA, the re-upped on Williams, and they have Divens at 340 lbs. Then they Drafted Dial who could play at end or NT. The great question will be who makes it through Training Camp? So they have a variety of sizes and weights and TC will sort it out for us.

Then we have a bunch of people at DE that will need to be sorted out. J.Smith, and McDonald are locks and then we have Carradine, Tukuafu, Dobbs, and Jerod-Eddy, and possibly Dial as well. Then we have Okoye in the background and a few more undrafted FAs as well. So lots of sorting during TC.

So the Niners have the bodies they just have to sort out for the 53 and the PS.

I don't think anyone is expecting anything from Divens other than a Nathans hot dog champ belt
Share 49ersWebzone