LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Jesse Williams runs a 4.78 40.

Draft him. He was a beast in Bama.

How much did he press at the combine?
225 30x and his max is supposedly 600 but I don't know about that.
I like his motor non stop. Tavon Austin is the other one I would draft with our 1st pick
Short arms, but dominant as a 3-4 DE at bama. He is not a NG though at all, contrary to common belief.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Short arms, but dominant as a 3-4 DE at bama. He is not a NG though at all, contrary to common belief.

That's funny because most professional analyst say he's a NT/DT and he played heads up to the center at Bama. So enlighten me. Why isn't he a NT?
I like him. He can play NT and 5 Tech. He can also play the 3 tech that fangio jumped into a lot last year
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by bigwads:

That's funny because most professional analyst say he's a NT/DT and he played heads up to the center at Bama. So enlighten me. Why isn't he a NT?

He's a little light to play NT but he has busy hands and feet never stop. Cowboy has short arms but a motor. Williams is no cowboy but similar motor
Originally posted by suckafree17:
He's a little light to play NT but he has busy hands and feet never stop. Cowboy has short arms but a motor. Williams is no cowboy but similar motor

He weighs 320 pds and had 30 reps on bench. How is that to light for NT. Thats prototypical. I think he raws so he still has some room to develop either way. I wouldn't want him as a DE though.
This guy might be worth a look at #31. Groom him as a breather for Justin, then start him next year?
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This guy might be worth a look at #31. Groom him as a breather for Justin, then start him next year?

I don't like the idea of spending our 1st pick on a guy you have to groom for a year. There's not one shred.of evidence they this guy would start over smith, dorsey, or McDonald even after next season. Plus this guy.doesnt deserve our 1st pick. He's good but massively overrated.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

I don't like the idea of spending our 1st pick on a guy you have to groom for a year. There's not one shred.of evidence they this guy would start over smith, dorsey, or McDonald even after next season. Plus this guy.doesnt deserve our 1st pick. He's good but massively overrated.

This isn't a top 10 1st. It's almost a 2nd round pick. The Niners need a legit NT, or they need to dump the 3-4, to me it's that simple.
Originally posted by Butter:
This isn't a top 10 1st. It's almost a 2nd round pick. The Niners need a legit NT, or they need to dump the 3-4, to me it's that simple.

We seemed to do fine with Sopo the past 3 years despite his subpar performance. We need a guy that can hold up the a gap nd at least threaten a rush. Jesse William has chicken legs. Poor guys upper body is a beast those sticks will never push him to the QB tho. He will pushed around by a strong guard. The center will handle him heads up. Do you see he will be just as big of a liability as sopo.We can get the save kind of b production from a cheap FA or with our later picks. I understand you want a NT but your wasting your pick. Hankins is so much better
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Now I am confused.

Originally posted by buck:
I think he ran a 4.91: not 4.78.

That is what the text in the link says. And here is another source.

Alabama DL Jesse Williams ran a 4.91 forty at the school's pro day on Wednesday.

This is a great time for the strong nose tackle, but Williams has always flashed athleticism, especially at the end spot in 2011. We think he will be selected some time during the later part of the first-round and projects at multiple spots along the defensive line.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/23978/jesse-williams-runs-a-491-at-bama-pro-day

Hes an interesting of prospect. Hes athletic and obviously in good shape. Hes onky been playing for 4 years so I have a feeling that his potential hasn't been tapped. I wouldn't mind him at 31 or 34 just on his ceiling and versatility.

On March 13, You wouldn't mind taking Jessie Williams at pick #31 or #34.

Originally posted by Butter:

We seemed to do fine with Sopo the past 3 years despite his subpar performance. We need a guy that can hold up the a gap nd at least threaten a rush. Jesse William has chicken legs. Poor guys upper body is a beast those sticks will never push him to the QB tho. He will pushed around by a strong guard. The center will handle him heads up. Do you see he will be just as big of a liability as sopo.We can get the save kind of b production from a cheap FA or with our later picks. I understand you want a NT but your wasting your pick. Hankins is so much better

On March 16, we could get better production from a cheap free agent or with our later picks.

I said I felt like his potential hadn't been reached. His upper body strength is so violent and he's probably one of the top 3 big guys when it comes to using his hands .I asked myself why a guy with such explosive upper body technique didn't produce more QB pressure. I started watching all the video I had on him and on youtube and I found this video that I think answered my question.

0:00 he lunges at the center but hes to slow and the center redirects his body
0:08 cant anchor the double team
0:18 he's one on one with the guard who effectively holds his bull rush
0:27 heads up center and hes double teamed by RG. he can't anchor and he actually loses his footing.
He continues to have problems against the double team and he can't beat his guy when they single block. The only pass rushing move he displays is the bull rush. NFL Olines will recognize this and use it to their advantage. I don't think he has the base to anchor the middle by himself. I don't like him at 31 or 34 anymore because I think he's raw and he got away with a lot at Bama. The NFL Olines will eat his lunch. I don't agree with the consensus view that he can just step in at NT. I think he would a liability and the coaching staff wont risk that.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
I said I felt like his potential hadn't been reached. His upper body strength is so violent and he's probably one of the top 3 big guys when it comes to using his hands .I asked myself why a guy with such explosive upper body technique didn't produce more QB pressure. I started watching all the video I had on him and on youtube and I found this video that I think answered my question.
I don't like him at 31 or 34 anymore because I think he's raw and he got away with a lot at Bama. The NFL Olines will eat his lunch. I don't agree with the consensus view that he can just step in at NT. I think he would a liability and the coaching staff wont risk that.

I can understand your not wanting him with one of our first two picks. I do not think I agree, but I can understand.

Equating him with cheap free agent or a late pick based on you tube footage does seem a bit drastic.
Share 49ersWebzone