LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

waiting for free agency mock

• buck
  • Veteran
Got bored waiting for free agency.

Free Agency:

Sign Richard Seymour to a two year, team friendly contract with good incentives.
He provides immediate relief for Justin Smith and Ray McDonald and will be a leader in the locker room

Re-Sign:

Larry Grant, Darcel McBath, and Tavares Gooden

Lost Free Agents:

Dashon Goldson, Ted Ginn, Leonard Davis, Delanie Walker, Randy Moss, Brandon Jacobs, Isaac Sopoaga

Trade:

Trade our 5th and two 6ths (about 65.8 points) to Chicago for their 4th (about 66 points)

1. SF 31 Justin Hunter WR Tennessee 6-4 200 4.41*

Hunter has good size and decent speed, but most importantly he is a clutch receiver. He led the FBS in "clutch reception percentage" in 2012. 76.7% of his 73 catches going for a first down or touchdown. In 28 games, he had 106 receptions for 1,812 yards and 18 scores.
BPA at this point.

2. SF 34 Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St 6-1 215 4.56*
Thomas has the ball skills that we need a free safety. Last year, he led the nation in picks with 8. In 41 games, he had 13 picks (with 4 returned for scores) and 15 passes broken up. He also had 178 tackles and 6 forced fumbles.

2. SF 61 Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern St 6-2 340 5.25*

Williams is strong, relentless, hardworking and capable of collapsing the pocket, disrupting the passer, and getting sacks. He was D2 defensive player of the year in 2013, and was a three-year All American. In 42 games, he had 27 sacks, 50.5 TFL, 191 tackles, 18 quarterback hurries, 14 passes broken up and 6 forced fumbles.

3. CAR 74 Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina 6-3 312

In 25 games, he had 8.5 sacks, 20.5 TFL, 11 quarterback hurries, 3 passes defended, and 1 forced fumble. Williams clearly has physical attributes and football skills to be a higher pick. He drops into the third, because his motor runs on five cylinders. He is the perfect candidate to serve as an apprentice under the tutelage of Jim Tomsula, Justin Smith, and Richard Seymour. He will provide immediate depth on the defensive line and eventually will be a starter.

3. SF 98 Jamie Collins OLB Southern Mississippi 6-3 250 4.59*

This kid is more than a workout warrior. In 52 games, Collins had 21 sacks, 45 TFL, 314 tackles, 10 quarterback hurries, 3 interceptions, and 15 passes broken up. He returned 2 interceptions and on fumble for scores.

4. CHI --- Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati 6-5 260 4.68**

Kelce was suspended for 2010 season, but came back and played in 2011 and 2012. In 2012 he led the team in receptions, yards, and receiving TDs. In 35 games, he had 59 catches for 875 yards and 10 scores. His successful return to the team mitigates against the potential of risk and his production indicates that he has football skills.

4. SF -- Earl Wolff SS North Carolina St 6-0 208 4.37*

He has good size, speed, and ball skills. In 51 games, this strong safety had 6 picks and 14 passes broken up, 12.5 tackles for a loss, and 361 tackles. He can cover and tackle. We need this.

5. IND --- Nick Williams DE Samford 6-4 310 4.87*

His combine turned heads. He ran the fastest 40, had the fastest 10-yard split (1.63), the best vertical (33") and broad jump (9' 3") of any defensive tackle official at the combine. He also can play some football. In 40 games, he had 7 sacks, 11.5 TFL, 66 tackles, 5 passes broken up, and 2 forced fumbles, 3 quarterback hurries, and 1 blocked kick. (And yes, apparently I like players named Williams.)

7. CIN --- Dustin Hopkins K Florida St 6-2 190 6-7 NR

7. SF --- Manase Foketi OT West Texas A&M 6-5 320 NR

*unofficial combine time

**time taken nfldraftscout.com

Stats are from http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/mainpage.jsp
[ Edited by buck on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Got bored waiting for free agency.

Free Agency:

Sign Richard Seymour to a two year, team friendly contract with good incentives.
He provides immediate relief for Justin Smith and Ray McDonald and will be a leader in the locker room

Re-Sign:

Larry Grant, Darcel McBath, and Tavares Gooden

Lost Free Agents:

Dashon Goldson, Ted Ginn, Leonard Davis, Delanie Walker, Randy Moss, Brandon Jacobs, Isaac Sopoaga

Trade:

Trade our 5th and two 6ths (about 65.8 points) to Chicago for their 4th (about 66 points)

1. SF 31 Justin Hunter WR Tennessee 6-4 200 4.41*

Hunter has good size and decent speed, but most importantly he is a clutch receiver. He led the FBS in "clutch reception percentage" in 2012. 76.7% of his 73 catches going for a first down or touchdown. In 28 games, he had 106 receptions for 1,812 yards and 18 scores.
BPA at this point.

2. SF 34 Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St 6-1 215 4.56*
Thomas has the ball skills that we need a free safety. Last year, he led the nation in picks with 8. In 41 games, he had 13 picks (with 4 returned for scores) and 15 passes broken up. He also had 178 tackles and 6 forced fumbles.

2. SF 61 Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern St 6-2 340 5.25*

Williams is strong, relentless, hardworking and capable of collapsing the pocket, disrupting the passer, and getting sacks. He was D2 defensive player of the year in 2013, and was a three-year All American. In 42 games, he had 27 sacks, 50.5 TFL, 191 tackles, 18 quarterback hurries, 14 passes broken up and 6 forced fumbles.

3. CAR 74 Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina 6-3 312

In 25 games, he had 8.5 sacks, 20.5 TFL, 11 quarterback hurries, 3 passes defended, and 1 forced fumble. Williams clearly has physical attributes and football skills to be a higher pick. He drops into the third, because his motor runs on five cylinders. He is the perfect candidate to serve as an apprentice under the tutelage of Jim Tomsula, Justin Smith, and Richard Seymour. He will provide immediate depth on the defensive line and eventually will be a starter.

3. SF 98 Jamie Collins OLB Southern Mississippi 6-3 250 4.59*

This kid is more than a workout warrior. In 52 games, Collins had 21 sacks, 45 TFL, 314 tackles, 10 quarterback hurries, 3 interceptions, and 15 passes broken up. He returned 2 interceptions and on fumble for scores.

4. CHI --- Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati 6-5 260 4.68**

Kelce was suspended for 2010 season, but came back and played in 2011 and 2012. In 2012 he led the team in receptions, yards, and receiving TDs. In 35 games, he had 59 catches for 875 yards and 10 scores. His successful return to the team mitigates against the potential of risk and his production indicates that he has football skills.

4. SF -- Earl Wolff SS North Carolina St 6-0 208 4.37*

He has good size, speed, and ball skills. In 51 games, this strong safety had 6 picks and 14 passes broken up, 12.5 tackles for a loss, and 361 tackles. He can cover and tackle. We need this.

5. IND --- Nick Williams DE Samford 6-4 310 4.87*

His combine turned heads. He ran the fastest 40, had the fastest 10-yard split (1.63), the best vertical (33") and broad jump (9' 3") of any defensive tackle official at the combine. He also can play some football. In 40 games, he had 7 sacks, 11.5 TFL, 66 tackles, 5 passes broken up, and 2 forced fumbles, 3 quarterback hurries, and 1 blocked kick. (And yes, apparently I like players named Williams.)

7. CIN --- Dustin Hopkins K Florida St 6-2 190 6-7 NR

7. SF --- Manase Foketi OT West Texas A&M 6-5 320 NR

*unofficial combine time

**time taken nfldraftscout.com

Stats are from http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/mainpage.jsp

k
Agree with the above resigns. I would like to see us not only get Seymore, but Casey, Cribbs, and Delmas. We can draft Thomas, Elam, Shamarko, TJ Mac, or just about anybody to replace Whitner next yr.,
  • buck
  • Veteran
never mind.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM ]
Hunter in the 1st round? Naw he has issues making catches in traffic and his hands aren't great. Love all the other draft picks Not sure Williams falls to the 3rd round though.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Hunter in the 1st round? Naw he has issues making catches in traffic and his hands aren't great. Love all the other draft picks Not sure Williams falls to the 3rd round though.

I agree that Sylvester Williams might not be there.

He is all over the map. Might go in the first, depends on who you speak with.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Agree with the above resigns. I would like to see us not only get Seymore, but Casey, Cribbs, and Delmas. We can draft Thomas, Elam, Shamarko, TJ Mac, or just about anybody to replace Whitner next yr.,

Casey could be a good pick up.

Cribbs has had 34 fumbles--and I have bad memories of fumbled and muffed punts.

Delmas has bad wheels. That has limited him in the past two years. Good skills and hard hitter. If the medical is good, I would sign him.

I think Wolff could end up as one of the steals in this draft.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM ]
That is a strong plan. I like it!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
That is a strong plan. I like it!

Thanks, but with the trade of Boldin I will have to re-think my first round pick.

Need to see the details of the trade, but it looks like our need for wide receiver dropped a bit.
Share 49ersWebzone