LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

McShay's new mock -- Margus Hunt

Analysis: The Niners need a cornerback, but there isn't one who would be worth taking here. Hunt is a project with a ton of upside. He's older, but he's a physical freak. At 6-8⅛ he ran a 4.6 40-yard dash.

In the final few game tapes of the 2012 season, I can see the light starting to come on. In San Francisco, he could develop at a good pace and wouldn't be forced into action too early.

If the Niners don't choose Hunt, they could look at safeties D.J. Swearinger or Matt Elam. Nose tackle Brandon Williams, a small-school prospect who is rising, wide receiver Quinton Patton or Trufant also could fit for the Niners.

Due respect to McShay, this write-up raised nothing but question marks for me. He thinks our main need is CB when Brown, Rogers, and Culliver? He barely mentions our more obvious hole in the starting lineup, NT.

Also, what's the deal with Hunt as a prospect? He's super old for a draft prospect but also a super raw project? Have those two labels ever applied to the same person at the same time? So you're telling me he has a chance of being awesome by around his 29th birthday? What's the rule of thumb with "project" players? 2-3 years' development?
Glad to see that somebody on this forum gets that drafting Hunt would be a disaster. NFL GMs are pretty smart folks. A good draft is just as much about economics as it is about talent evaluation. Hunt has all the physical tools to be great. But he's 26 and hasn't played football for very long..... AND IT SHOWS!

He does well at the college level purely because of his physical ability. But ability doesn't equal success in the NFL. Remember Taylor Mays? All the ability in the world. But technically, he sucked and it's the reason why he busted.

Let's say it takes Hunt 3-4 years to perfect his craft to an NFL level (typical for many rookies with much more football background than Hunt). He'd be 30! That is bad value for the pick. You'd have to hope he catches on fast and that his body will hold up so that he can play till he's in his late 30s.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Mar 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM ]
The only reason I feel he could be potentially worth it in the 2nd round at the very earliest would be due to the fact he has the potential to take points off the other teams scoreboard via blocking kicks. After the hype wears down his value should drop
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
McShay =
The Niners probably won't get him but I would be excited to get him. His age doesn't matter. He is one year older than Kaep is. Kaep was a project that came in his second year and stole the job from Alex. If Hunt did the same, he would be playing by year 2 and only be 27. Justin Smith is 34. That's at least 7 years of good football if Hunt takes a similar path. Kiper has us taking Hunt in his mock, now McShay does as well and Maylock has him rated as the 2nd best 3-4 DE.
I think I've argued enough for Hunt in the Margus Hunt thread. I just think it's absolutely hilarious that people think EVERY prospect takes the same amount of time to develop.

It's up to the player. It's up to coaching. It's up to the supporting cast.

People on here kept saying Kaepernick was too raw and that it would take him 2-3 years to even be ready. Hunt wouldn't have to get thrust in on day 1. He'll have guys like Justin Smith to learn from and Tomsula to refine his skills. The first couple years, he'd be a providing depth anyways.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I think I've argued enough for Hunt in the Margus Hunt thread. I just think it's absolutely hilarious that people think EVERY prospect takes the same amount of time to develop.

People on here kept saying Kaepernick was too raw and that it would take him 2-3 years to even be ready. Hunt wouldn't have to get thrust in on day 1. He'll have guys like Justin Smith to learn from and Tomsula to refine his skills. The first couple years, he'd be a providing depth anyways.

I'm definitely interested in Hunt, and if we draft him, I'd be pretty excited. His size and athleticism you just can't teach. And major injuries are the major factor for longevity in the NFL, not age.
The difference between Kaep and Hunt is that Kaep plays the most important position on the field and on the day he was drafted the Niners had Alex Smith at QB before he was a legitimate starting option. And QBs play well into their 30s while DLineman generally tap out at 30-34 depending on the guy. So if we draft Hunt, his contract is up at 29 (after getting 2-3 good years at best out of him), then what? Do we extend him long term for big money? He's already at that point where his career could potentially be winding down. At 6' 8" his height could cause injury concern. Knees break down faster on those taller guys.

Wouldn't touch Hunt before our late second rounder. He'd be worth that pick. I'll bang my head against a table if we take him off the board at 31 or 34.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I'm definitely interested in Hunt, and if we draft him, I'd be pretty excited. His size and athleticism you just can't teach. And major injuries are the major factor for longevity in the NFL, not age.

I'm not saying that he should absolutely be the first pick, especially if Jonathan Banks/Datone Jones/Desmond Trufant are available, but I'm not gonna bash the selection if we do get him.

Yes, he's raw and he's older than most of the draftees, but the guy's got potential and measurables that are out of this world. I have confidence in this team to make something out of him.
Hunt is too old to take this high in the draft 27 he shouldve dominated at the level he was at maybe if he had18 sacks 30 tackles for loss 60 tackles. Ño thank you
Cyprien
Jenkins
Jones
Ertz
Austin
Okafor

Originally posted by SSF49er:
Hunt is too old to take this high in the draft 27 he shouldve dominated at the level he was at maybe if he had18 sacks 30 tackles for loss 60 tackles. Ño thank you
Cyprien
Jenkins
Jones
Ertz
Austin
Okafor

He's 25, will be 26 when the preseason starts.

Cyprien, I wouldn't be mad if we took him.
Jenkins, talk about a prospect that disappeared in big games.
Ertz, big fan of the kid, but too high to take IMO
Austin, will be off the board
Okafor, maybe in the 2nd round.
The more the draftniks insist that the 49ers draft Hunt, the more confident I become that it doesn't happen.

Yeah, if this turns into a Margus Hunt debate, it should get merged......

Remember that for every Colin Kaepernick, there are at least 5 guys that don't ever play up to their physical potential (I'm thinking Taylor Mays, Kentwan Balmer, and Rashawn Woods to name a few - and all those guys were drafted late 1st/early 2nd too).

Guys that are great athletes but so-so football players very often bust out. They get drafted high because everybody looks at the top 15 types of guys.... the great athletes that are also great football players.... and thinks "I can teach him". The problem is, technique is hard to learn and perfect. And the level of competing athletes in the NFL is much greater. Margus Hunk won't be a man amongst boys in the NFL. His athletic ability alone won't be enough to succeed.

I'd take him in the late 2nd or 3rd round, because you are right... some guys learn faster than others. But I wouldn't risk an early 2nd or 1st on the guy. Not a chance. I think most GMs will agree with me there and not pick him till later than he is being projected by the draft journalists out there.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The more the draftniks insist that the 49ers draft Hunt, the more confident I become that it doesn't happen.

This and I'm glad. I don't want the guy with the first pick.
PLEASE NO HUNT! !!!!!! Why are ppl on high on a 26 yr old rookie HATE HATE HATE THA PICK! !!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone