There are 194 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Paraag Marathe: "Our Level of Spending on Defense is not sustainable over time"

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I made a perfectly truthful observation. You're the one calling people names. Practice what you preach.

I advised that you not be a jerk, not that you are one .

But you're implying that I put a wrapper around a mock draft, which is stupid.

I made a perfectly truthful observation. You're the one calling people names. Practice what you preach.

I think it was a wise and good post by nick. i think we need to temper our thoughts about goldsen getting a big deal from us and also about us running out and signing a bunch of free agents or trading for hot shots like revis. i think the boss is basically telling us goldsen will be allowed to walk and we will find his replacement in the draft plus there are some people whose names are not ed reed or charles woodson we can sign to replace goldsen. people should know by now not to get attatched to players
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Well I think you put a wrapper on your mock draft, and that isnt stupid. There is so much going on in the OP, you forced me to think that.

Now quit arguing and continue your convo's or I will lock this.

OK that's fine.

You should first pull the stick out of your ass.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
If you think about the Paraag Marathe quote and what it means, you shouldn't expect the Niners to be drafting many offensive players this time around. He's clearly saying that their defense needs to get cheaper and we know it never hurts to get younger. The fact that this is acknowledged to be a draft heavy with defensive talent ices the deal. I'll be surprised if they take ANY offensive players with their first five picks.

Bingo -- but I could see us taking a WR on day 1 or 2 if incredible value is available. Say, Justin Hunter our Quinton Patton are there at #61 or even later. How could you pass on that?
It would be an expensive defense though. You have to draft young players at the right spots, you cannot keep paying. It will be interesting, and it worries me. I do think Goldson is key in this defense. It could change though if our corners were improved.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Bingo -- but I could see us taking a WR on day 1 or 2 if incredible value is available. Say, Justin Hunter our Quinton Patton are there at #61 or even later. How could you pass on that?

drafting wide outs at number one makes me nervous
Originally posted by dhp318:
You should first pull the stick out of your ass.

Check your street cred and posters quit resonding like this. Bradley, skip this.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
It would be an expensive defense though. You have to draft young players at the right spots, you cannot keep paying. It will be interesting, and it worries me. I do think Goldson is key in this defense. It could change though if our corners were improved.

and our pass rush gets rushier??
If you think about the Paraag Marathe quote and what it means, you shouldn't expect the Niners to be drafting many offensive players this time around. He's clearly saying that their defense needs to get cheaper and we know it never hurts to get younger. The fact that this is acknowledged to be a draft heavy with defensive talent ices the deal. I'll be surprised if they take ANY offensive players with their first five picks.

I think you're right. Expect this draft to be all about acquiring new/future starters for the defense.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I think you're right. Expect this draft to be all about acquiring new/future starters for the defense.
i think so to and i think that will be very very exciting plus i am hoping those two linebackers that we drafted last year who got hurt can do some things

The imbalance within the division worries me. Seattle has the most efficient defense in the NFL, the 5th cheapest. Our defense wasn't any better for being the most expensive. Sopoaga and Whitner got terrible grades from Pro Football Focus and other outlets...Goldson didn't do much better.

We're built around our front-seven for the time being, so I really don't see the risk and going with a youth movement in the secondary.
We won't release Rogers AND Whitner this year. Not a chance. We have nobody to replace them with. More likely, we draft their replacements this year and cut them after the 2013 season to make cap room for extending Aldon Smith and Kaepernick.

As for your mock, I don't like Amerson... especially right after taking Cyprien. A WR, NT, or a true CB there would be a better choice.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I'm so happy Paraag Marathe is on this staff
We have starters at WR. We'd have 1st and second day rookies competing for the starting S spots against Spillman, Robinson, McBath, and maybe Cox (he's listed as a safety).

Whitner gave up more TDs than any other safety in the NFL, If I'm correct.

We have Crabtree then two guys with significant injuries (the better of the two in Manningham worse off than KW), then Jenkins who was unable to make an impact last year. We are VERY thin at WR and badly need a number 2 to compliment Crabs. Safety, while I agree we have some young guys who MAY be able to step in, we are losing 2 starters in your ideal offseason. We need to draft a ballhawking stud, but I'm willing to wait on safety (unless we lose both of our starters) as it sounds like a deep class. If Tavon Austin is available for our first selection, he fills two huge needs (KR/PR and deep threat WR) and starts from day one.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
The imbalance within the division worries me. Seattle has the most efficient defense in the NFL, the 5th cheapest. Our defense wasn't any better for being the most expensive. Sopoaga and Whitner got terrible grades from Pro Football Focus and other outlets...Goldson didn't do much better.

We're built around our front-seven for the time being, so I really don't see the risk and going with a youth movement in the secondary.
we started four rookies in 1981 and it turned out fine! really after the keystone cops comedy routine which was our secondary we had to see in the super bowl,, i am all for blowing up that entire unit for the coming year. i know i get shrill and go off half the time but please, we got exposed, it was not pretty and we can not set around playing checkers in the off season and not address this need