Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 484 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe: "Our Level of Spending on Defense is not sustainable over time"

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Well I think you put a wrapper on your mock draft, and that isnt stupid. There is so much going on in the OP, you forced me to think that.

Now quit arguing and continue your convo's or I will lock this.

OK that's fine.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I made a perfectly truthful observation. You're the one calling people names. Practice what you preach.

I advised that you not be a jerk, not that you are one .

But you're implying that I put a wrapper around a mock draft, which is stupid.

You should first pull the stick out of your ass.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
If you think about the Paraag Marathe quote and what it means, you shouldn't expect the Niners to be drafting many offensive players this time around. He's clearly saying that their defense needs to get cheaper and we know it never hurts to get younger. The fact that this is acknowledged to be a draft heavy with defensive talent ices the deal. I'll be surprised if they take ANY offensive players with their first five picks.

Bingo -- but I could see us taking a WR on day 1 or 2 if incredible value is available. Say, Justin Hunter our Quinton Patton are there at #61 or even later. How could you pass on that?
It would be an expensive defense though. You have to draft young players at the right spots, you cannot keep paying. It will be interesting, and it worries me. I do think Goldson is key in this defense. It could change though if our corners were improved.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Bingo -- but I could see us taking a WR on day 1 or 2 if incredible value is available. Say, Justin Hunter our Quinton Patton are there at #61 or even later. How could you pass on that?

drafting wide outs at number one makes me nervous
Originally posted by dhp318:
You should first pull the stick out of your ass.

Check your street cred and posters quit resonding like this. Bradley, skip this.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
It would be an expensive defense though. You have to draft young players at the right spots, you cannot keep paying. It will be interesting, and it worries me. I do think Goldson is key in this defense. It could change though if our corners were improved.

and our pass rush gets rushier??
Originally posted by GNielsen:
If you think about the Paraag Marathe quote and what it means, you shouldn't expect the Niners to be drafting many offensive players this time around. He's clearly saying that their defense needs to get cheaper and we know it never hurts to get younger. The fact that this is acknowledged to be a draft heavy with defensive talent ices the deal. I'll be surprised if they take ANY offensive players with their first five picks.

I think you're right. Expect this draft to be all about acquiring new/future starters for the defense.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
If you think about the Paraag Marathe quote and what it means, you shouldn't expect the Niners to be drafting many offensive players this time around. He's clearly saying that their defense needs to get cheaper and we know it never hurts to get younger. The fact that this is acknowledged to be a draft heavy with defensive talent ices the deal. I'll be surprised if they take ANY offensive players with their first five picks.

I think you're right. Expect this draft to be all about acquiring new/future starters for the defense.
i think so to and i think that will be very very exciting plus i am hoping those two linebackers that we drafted last year who got hurt can do some things
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
It would be an expensive defense though. You have to draft young players at the right spots, you cannot keep paying. It will be interesting, and it worries me. I do think Goldson is key in this defense. It could change though if our corners were improved.

The imbalance within the division worries me. Seattle has the most efficient defense in the NFL, the 5th cheapest. Our defense wasn't any better for being the most expensive. Sopoaga and Whitner got terrible grades from Pro Football Focus and other outlets...Goldson didn't do much better.

We're built around our front-seven for the time being, so I really don't see the risk and going with a youth movement in the secondary.
We won't release Rogers AND Whitner this year. Not a chance. We have nobody to replace them with. More likely, we draft their replacements this year and cut them after the 2013 season to make cap room for extending Aldon Smith and Kaepernick.

As for your mock, I don't like Amerson... especially right after taking Cyprien. A WR, NT, or a true CB there would be a better choice.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 42,465
I'm so happy Paraag Marathe is on this staff
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by nickbradley:
The imbalance within the division worries me. Seattle has the most efficient defense in the NFL, the 5th cheapest. Our defense wasn't any better for being the most expensive. Sopoaga and Whitner got terrible grades from Pro Football Focus and other outlets...Goldson didn't do much better.

We're built around our front-seven for the time being, so I really don't see the risk and going with a youth movement in the secondary.
we started four rookies in 1981 and it turned out fine! really after the keystone cops comedy routine which was our secondary we had to see in the super bowl,, i am all for blowing up that entire unit for the coming year. i know i get shrill and go off half the time but please, we got exposed, it was not pretty and we can not set around playing checkers in the off season and not address this need
Originally posted by blm7754:
We won't release Rogers AND Whitner this year. Not a chance. We have nobody to replace them with. More likely, we draft their replacements this year and cut them after the 2013 season to make cap room for extending Aldon Smith and Kaepernick.

As for your mock, I don't like Amerson... especially right after taking Cyprien. A WR, NT, or a true CB there would be a better choice.

I find it unlikely that we release Rogers, but I could easily see us letting Goldson walk and cutting Whitner.

Goldson costs too much money and Whitner just isn't very good.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I find it unlikely that we release Rogers, but I could easily see us letting Goldson walk and cutting Whitner.

Goldson costs too much money and Whitner just isn't very good.

This! Ideally, would have loved to keep Goldson and move to SS and cut Whitner and draft/try out a true FS with speed, range (esp. over-the-top help along the sidelines and isn't susceptible to double moves and one we don't need to start 30 yards deep every snap). I'm all for restructuring Rogers contract or cutting him outright as he half-assed it all year long and didn't make any of the big plays we need when it counted most (e.g. Superbowl, 3rd down). You can get as much if not more production from Culliver or a young gun. But if Goldson does bolt, we may have to keep one of these average players (production) for a high price in 2013.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone