There are 180 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe: "Our Level of Spending on Defense is not sustainable over time"

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I made a perfectly truthful observation. You're the one calling people names. Practice what you preach.

I advised that you not be a jerk, not that you are one .

But you're implying that I put a wrapper around a mock draft, which is stupid.

Yeah, copy that. Don't be a know it all dickface that gets their panties in a bunch if somebody makes a comment towards you.

(Note that I didn't call you a know it all dickface. I just advised you not to be one)
Nice mock
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice mock

Lol this
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I knew Goldson re-signing was looking more and more of chance not happening. Which also would mean, no chance in hell we would trade for Revis.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I knew Goldson re-signing was looking more and more of chance not happening. Which also would mean, no chance in hell we would trade for Revis.

Based on Marathe's comments, trading for Revis would blow a hole in the roster for a half a decade. Ain't happening
Originally posted by NCommand:
This! Ideally, would have loved to keep Goldson and move to SS and cut Whitner and draft/try out a true FS with speed, range (esp. over-the-top help along the sidelines and isn't susceptible to double moves and one we don't need to start 30 yards deep every snap). I'm all for restructuring Rogers contract or cutting him outright as he half-assed it all year long and didn't make any of the big plays we need when it counted most (e.g. Superbowl, 3rd down). You can get as much if not more production from Culliver or a young gun. But if Goldson does bolt, we may have to keep one of these average players (production) for a high price in 2013.

I'd like to clean up the books before 2014 hits.

In addition, this is an excellent year for the secondary.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Based on Marathe's comments, trading for Revis would blow a hole in the roster for a half a decade. Ain't happening

Yup, look for a second or third tier CB to be signed, somewhere along the lines of Bradley Fletcher, Derek Cox, Antoine Cason or Chris Houston. I doubt we go after someone like Sean Smith (who I like), underachiever who wants a big money contract.
I made a perfectly truthful observation. You're the one calling people names. Practice what you preach.

I advised that you not be a jerk, not that you are one .

But you're implying that I put a wrapper around a mock draft, which is stupid.

Yeah, copy that. Don't be a know it all dickface that gets their panties in a bunch if somebody makes a comment towards you.

(Note that I didn't call you a know it all dickface. I just advised you not to be one)

LOL
Yup, look for a second or third tier CB to be signed, somewhere along the lines of Bradley Fletcher, Derek Cox, Antoine Cason or Chris Houston. I doubt we go after someone like Sean Smith (who I like), underachiever who wants a big money contract.

Any of those guys would make sense.
Back of envelope, this gives us about $40m in cap room for the 2013-2014 offseasonPlus roll-overs. We might have $10m – $15m+ in rollovers from 2013 with this plan, so we could conceivably have $45m – $50m in salary cap space.

$45m to $50m to front-load new contracts for Kaepernick, Crabtree, and Aldon Smith.

2 + 2 = 4

Basically, and I think the article touches on this, you have two types of players, those you pay a LOT, and those you pay at a discount / bargain price. Players on their rookie contract (assuming they are good) play at rock bottom prices. Other players, like McDonald, J Smith, Brown, play at solid discount prices, compared with what they do.

Paying fair price, for good solid players, is nearly impossible to do these days (at least if you want a Super Bowl contending team). RJF, Whitner, Manningham, Walker; those are all good solid players who any team would want, the problem is, they are in that salary range that eats up too much cap space.

Over the next two years, we are going to have to release a large chunk of our team, maybe over half, just to keep the players we already have signed, and the young super stars who will be due contracts (Kap, Aldon).
Originally posted by BrianGO:
2 + 2 = 4

Basically, and I think the article touches on this, you have two types of players, those you pay a LOT, and those you pay at a discount / bargain price. Players on their rookie contract (assuming they are good) play at rock bottom prices. Other players, like McDonald, J Smith, Brown, play at solid discount prices, compared with what they do.

Paying fair price, for good solid players, is nearly impossible to do these days (at least if you want a Super Bowl contending team). RJF, Whitner, Manningham, Walker; those are all good solid players who any team would want, the problem is, they are in that salary range that eats up too much cap space.

Over the next two years, we are going to have to release a large chunk of our team, maybe over half, just to keep the players we already have signed, and the young super stars who will be due contracts (Kap, Aldon).

Yes - you keep your core and don't give anyone else a contract.

*** This is why I'm sorta shocked we gave Carlos Rogers his contract.
Back of envelope, this gives us about $40m in cap room for the 2013-2014 offseasonPlus roll-overs. We might have $10m – $15m+ in rollovers from 2013 with this plan, so we could conceivably have $45m – $50m in salary cap space.

$45m to $50m to front-load new contracts for Kaepernick, Crabtree, and Aldon Smith.

Exactly. Front-loading is key.

Exactly. Front-loading is key.

That makes the most sense, unless that player is Darrelle Revis and he gets most of the $$ at the beginning then comes begging for a new contract once the money starts declining at the end of the contract.
2 + 2 = 4

Yes - you keep your core and don't give anyone else a contract.

*** This is why I'm sorta shocked we gave Carlos Rogers his contract.

I was shocked we gave Ahmad Brooks the contact we did at the time, but it worked out because of the fact Bowman took a home town discount. Rogers contract won't last pas next off-season. This year, we don't save enough to let him go, so we might as well keep him this year. Certain players however, are simply too expensive to keep for another 10 sec: Goldson, Goodwin, Akers. I would be completely shocked to see any of them on the team next year. We need their cap room to front load some contracts.
Share 49ersWebzone