LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

IDEAL MOCK OFFSEASON -- Add: Harvin, Amendola // Draft: Hunt, Cyprien, Da'Rick

Originally posted by English:
You don't franchise back up tight ends. D line could use more help as well.

This
No need to franchise Walker when he will likely be a cheap sign anyways. I don't see a big market for him. He's not a starting tight end.
Well Kronik - my first 49er game was at the stick in 1972 for the playoff game against the Cowboys. I also happened to be at another playoff game against the Cowbows in 1981 - but that isn't really the point. You're saying the 49ers can't afford Harvin ($11m) Amendola ($6m) and Jenkins ($3?) = $20m. Alex Smith ($9.7m) cut Manningham ($5m) cut Harralson ($3) Akres ($3) = That's $21 million and we haven't even tried to restructure Rogers ($7m) Goodwin ($5m) or Whitner ($5m). This gives us a two-year window of unstoppable offense at which point the guaranteed portion of the contracts burns off and we can start again.

I don't claim to be a cap-logist but I know with the players I proposed the 49ers would be far superior to the one that almost won this year.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
We need to franchise Larry Grant - you all got it all wrong.
Well Kronik - my first 49er game was at the stick in 1972 for the playoff game against the Cowboys. I also happened to be at another playoff game against the Cowbows in 1981 - but that isn't really the point. You're saying the 49ers can't afford Harvin ($11m) Amendola ($6m) and Jenkins ($3?) = $20m. Alex Smith ($9.7m) cut Manningham ($5m) cut Harralson ($3) Akres ($3) = That's $21 million and we haven't even tried to restructure Rogers ($7m) Goodwin ($5m) or Whitner ($5m). This gives us a two-year window of unstoppable offense at which point the guaranteed portion of the contracts burns off and we can start again.
Originally posted by cptn12am:

Manningham = not on your cut list
Haralson = not on your cut list
Akers = not on your cut list
No one is on your restructure list
WOW JUST WOW!!! I don't even know where to begin. FYI the real world is different than playing madden
BTW - Delanie Walker is not really a back-up tight end. He is more of an H-back. He played on 57% of the snaps last year -- hardly a back-up (see Larry Grant - 21 defensive snaps all season)
I'm not really sure I understand the reference to playing Madden. Are the moves I suggested a lot like playing a video game? Or should we get lesser players like Dominic Hixon? Our season ended two years in a row without a solid 2nd receiving option on the field. Maybe it's time to be bold.
I think you are trying to sacrifice the future to win in the next two years. Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. From the past few years the strategy is as follows, and has been working.

1. Re Sign core players to long term deals.
2. Build through the draft
3. Us FA to sign veteran players for a one or two year stop gap- see Leonard Davis, Randy Moss.

I would prefer the Niners work on extending

1. Michael Crabtree-
2. Mike iupati
3. Aldon Smith
4. Anthony Davis
5. CK7- in 2014 after his 3rd season is complete

Do FA signings for value.

Julian Edelman- WR/KR/PR
Ramses Barden- Large possesion WR
Aubroyo Franklin- NT (if both RJF and Soap walk)

The build through the draft. Get players on the cheap for four years so you can afford to sign the above to extensions.

I'm not really sure I understand the reference to playing Madden. Are the moves I suggested a lot like playing a video game? Or should we get lesser players like Dominic Hixon? Our season ended two years in a row without a solid 2nd receiving option on the field. Maybe it's time to be bold.

You cannot sustain that roster unless you are playing a video game.

Rogers already has restructured. The real issue with restructuring is that it converts salary to guaranteed bonus, simply shifting this year's cap issues to a later year. It also prevents you from releasing restructured players, as the escalated bonus money is generally weighed against the season they are cut. You have fun ideas, but they are neither reasonable nor responsible. Baalke would never do this.

Edit: stupid iPhone turned "Baalke" into "Natalie".
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM ]
I agree with you abt re-signing and extended our core players. But Kaepernick is signed through 2014. So is Crabtree. Our new receivers (Jenkins and whoever we draft this year) will be more ready to be big contributors in a few years. We need WR's who can play today while the window is open with the group we have today.
I agree with you abt re-signing and extended our core players. But Kaepernick is signed through 2014. So is Crabtree. Our new receivers (Jenkins and whoever we draft this year) will be more ready to be big contributors in a few years. We need WR's who can play today while the window is open with the group we have today.

Signing FAs requires a subsantial commitment in the form of guaranteed money. That money is spread over the life of the contract. Releasing those high-priced aquisitions when Kap, Crab, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, and others are all due new contracts would result in a mess of dead money which would cripple the team by greatly reducing the cap room, while still depriving us of the on-field contribution of those players. Again, we don't even throw the ball frequently enough to utilize all the high-priced receivers you would put on the field. You can get as defensive as you like, and it makes sense to backpeddle to some degree, but this one is better abandoned than defended. Live to fight another day. Great enthusiasm, poor conception.
How about Josh Cribbs? Has history with Coach Seely on ST's. Not long ago was THE man as kick returner .. and can dabble as a WR too.
Originally posted by English:
You don't franchise back up tight ends. D line could use more help as well.

This. thank you.
Share 49ersWebzone