LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 191 users in the forums

49ers in great position to trade down in the 1st

I don't know where people get the idea that this is a weak draft and that we shouldn't take any players.

This draft lacks the sexy big name stars at the top, but there's a lot of really good starting caliber players throughout the top 100 (and at key positions of need). Niners could come out of this with quite a haul by the time day 2 ends.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Baalke has played this game extremely well and I could see him trading some picks for deferred picks next year. I can also see him trading up with picks from the 5th round down and down from the first round as you suggest.

The key is that the niners are in a position to move wherever they want to get the help they need. It's a wonderful, wonderful position to be...trade forward, backward, to next year, maybe even for 2015 picks...yowza!

This.
The situation will dictate what we do. We will move up or down depending on what works for us. I think Baalke will sit and wait for someone to become desparate. And then will be there to "help" the desparate. Whether that mean moving up or down ... who can say?
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
I don't know where people get the idea that this is a weak draft and that we shouldn't take any players.

This draft lacks the sexy big name stars at the top, but there's a lot of really good starting caliber players throughout the top 100 (and at key positions of need). Niners could come out of this with quite a haul by the time day 2 ends.

Exactly. Where it is lacking in star power, it is loaded at the bottom of the first through the third, which is exactly where we have 5 of our picks. If this plays out right, we could walk away with 5-7 starter quality players as opposed to guys that would be Demarcus Dobbs and Tramaine Brock type depth.

We can get a NT for the future, a CB, one or two safeties, one or two receivers, and 3-4 defensive end. I think Baalke has the chance pull off his own 1986 type of draft.
Share 49ersWebzone