LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

49ers in great position to trade down in the 1st

• fryet
  • Veteran
I can easily see the 49ers moving up with their first, but if they stay put at 31, I could see them trading it for a first next year. Since the draft is so flat, it would also make sense to trade for a 2nd this year and next year.
My prediction is we will trade down in the early rounds and trade back in the mid rounds and collect additional picks for 2014. We have enough draft equity to stretch this run into 2014 and maybe even 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a Patriot 2012 scenario and have 3-4 2nd round picks next year. Baalke has us in a position we can really set tempo in the draft and shift it's direction.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm jacked.
Originally posted by fryet:
I can easily see the 49ers moving up with their first, but if they stay put at 31, I could see them trading it for a first next year. Since the draft is so flat, it would also make sense to trade for a 2nd this year and next year.

I don't think we would trade our first this year for a first next year. Our 2nd, that would be different.
Originally posted by Niners23:
We have too many draft picks already to trade down. We can't afford that many, because we have limited roster spots as it is. Ideally, someone trades a 1st and 3rd in next years draft for our 2nd, since it's the 2nd pick in the round.

You can tell which people are paying attention to this team's actual situation in regards to free agency and not media hype when you see comments like this. With free agency and the Alex trade plus any possible releases, 49ers could have another 8-12 roster spots opened up, without accounting for any picks that result in actual upgrades.
Look at Baalke's draft day history. He has never traded back from his first pick. If anything, history suggests that he may trade up to target a player he likes.

Also, consider the value the Bronco's received when they traded the #31 to the Bucs last year in the Doug Martin trade. The Bronco's received a 4th round pick to move down to #36 in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Butter:
Look at Baalke's draft day history. He has never traded back from his first pick. If anything, history suggests that he may trade up to target a player he likes.

Also, consider the value the Bronco's received when they traded the #31 to the Bucs last year in the Doug Martin trade. The Bronco's received a 4th round pick to move down to #36 in the 2nd.

An early 4th rounder...combined with one of the 49ers other later round picks gets them back into the 3rd round again, that's worth it to me.
I wouldnt mind getting a top 5 cb in the first
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Butter.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Butter:

An early 4th rounder...combined with one of the 49ers other later round picks gets them back into the 3rd round again, that's worth it to me.

I think I agree. To be clear, I'm not against the idea. I just think Baalke is extremely conservative with the first pick, he seems to be a lot more aggresive with later picks.
Originally posted by Niners23:
We have too many draft picks already to trade down. We can't afford that many, because we have limited roster spots as it is. Ideally, someone trades a 1st and 3rd in next years draft for our 2nd, since it's the 2nd pick in the round.

You can tell which people are paying attention to this team's actual situation in regards to free agency and not media hype when you see comments like this. With free agency and the Alex trade plus any possible releases, 49ers could have another 8-12 roster spots opened up, without accounting for any picks that result in actual upgrades.

Exactly!

Assuming we only sign a few of our own FAs and don't sign many others, we will have lots of roster spots. I count maybe 40 players from last year's 53 that are currently under contract for 2013. Plus guys like Dobbs, Ian Williams,Tukuafu, Cox, Darcel McBath may be challenged to make the roster again. Our lack of quality depth on defense was a MAJOR issue last season.
Harbaalke loves competition!

[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM ]

Trade the first pick this year for a first rounder next year to a team that will stink up this season. End up keeping around 9 of this years picks and hope the extra first rounder next year bumps ya up to Clowney range.
I'd say Baalke should trade up...to get the "big" they want. He's got plenty of picks. Sure, he could trade down, too, and potentially end up w/3 2nd rders, 2 to 3 3rd rders, 2 4th rders, etc. Whatever works to get 2 DL, secondary, OLB, TE, WR & a QB for development. Already has at worst a 3rd rd pick that could be a 2nd rder in Alex Smith trade in 2014. Let's face it, TB has all kinds of options, which is a good thing...should be one of the most interesting drafts in many years.
It sure is great being in this position.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

You mean being able to pick twice within 3 picks in the late 1st/early 2nd...hell yeah.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

You mean being able to pick twice within 3 picks in the late 1st/early 2nd...hell yeah.

And it just seems to keep getting better. So many options and so little time to figure it out
Share 49ersWebzone