LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

49ers in great position to trade down in the 1st

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22680226

There's a possibility that a QB prospect falls further than might be expected.

If Barkley and/or Smith get past the Jets, they very well might be waiting overnight before hearing their names called. Every team between No. 10 and 32 has either an established starter or young quarterback it is developing, and it's doubtful many - if any - will view Barkley or Smith as a better long-term option.

With the Jaguars a possibility to take a QB in the 2nd round, there could be teams looking to jump in front of them to grab the QB prospect that they want. 49ers, based on where they will be at in the 1st round, could be in a nice spot to trade down a few spots and pick up some extra picks, either this year or the next. If there isn't anyone there in particular that the 49ers really want, I'd be happy to see a trade down and keep acquiring picks, maybe acquire some more this year to allow them to trade up into the 3rd round, have 6 picks total in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, which is where the bulk of the depth of this draft falls into.
If the cards fall right it ould make a lot of sense to drop back and aquire more pics in rounds 2-4, stockpile our pics in those rounds, then in the later rounds try to trade out of those pics for pics next year.
I think getting as many picks under #100 will be the target. If Baalke played it right we could get 7 picks under #100 use the comp picks as depth and trade the rest for more picks next year, and try and land ourselves in the same position next year.
I think getting as many picks under #100 will be the target. If Baalke played it right we could get 7 picks under #100 use the comp picks as depth and trade the rest for more picks next year, and try and land ourselves in the same position next year.
We have too many draft picks already to trade down. We can't afford that many, because we have limited roster spots as it is. Ideally, someone trades a 1st and 3rd in next years draft for our 2nd, since it's the 2nd pick in the round.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:08 AM ]
I would rather start racking up pics for next year from here on.
We are in a similar position to the Pats a couple of years ago.
2013 = dirty talent draft

2014 = clean talent draft
I agree with this. Posted a mock where we traded back for Arizona's pick. Would love to benefit one more time from a QB-deficient team willing to overpay for their next guy.
Originally posted by Niners23:
We have too many draft picks already to trade down. We can't afford that many, because we have limited roster spots as it is. Ideally, someone trades a 1st and 3rd in next years draft for our 2nd, since it's the 2nd pick in the round.

Picks this year, picks next year, what's the difference really? We already have 7+ picks next year. If we fill all our holes in this draft we won't need to worry about next year.

Do you know how many from our 53 are currently under contract for 2013? If we draft 15, maybe 2 or 3 are cut or put on practice squad... we might have room for 12 rookies - Harbaugh will love the competition!

Most likely scenario IMO. I can see a team getting hungry to jump up into the late 1st early 2nd. I hope that if they do trade down they pick up a 1st next year along with a mid 2nd in this draft. With all the players clumped together in the 1st 100 picks, they could just let the chips fall and pick up future assets.
Baalke has played this game extremely well and I could see him trading some picks for deferred picks next year. I can also see him trading up with picks from the 5th round down and down from the first round as you suggest.

The key is that the niners are in a position to move wherever they want to get the help they need. It's a wonderful, wonderful position to be...trade forward, backward, to next year, maybe even for 2015 picks...yowza!
My focus would be getting another 2nd (giving us three) and another 3rd (giving us at least two in the third). As of now we only have one fourth, so I am anxious to see how you guys think we are getting seven picks in the top 100, unless you think we are getting 4 thirds.

The heart of the draft IMO is between 28 and 70 or so. There is a ton of DB talent there at the CB and S positions. Just with how the draft is stocked this year, Baalke could rebuild our entire secondary with high draft picks.
Originally posted by smithc28:

Sounds about right.

Depending on what happens with our own Free Agents, we need to aquire 2-4 STARTERS on defense and about the same on Offense. We are positioned to make a run at the title now, and that will not be dependent on drafting 12-15 rookies, half (or more) of which have zero chance of making the roster. Consolidate a high and low round pick to move up to pick up targeted player(s), trade back or to the future only if there is no choice.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Baalke has played this game extremely well and I could see him trading some picks for deferred picks next year. I can also see him trading up with picks from the 5th round down and down from the first round as you suggest.

The key is that the niners are in a position to move wherever they want to get the help they need. It's a wonderful, wonderful position to be...trade forward, backward, to next year, maybe even for 2015 picks...yowza!

I couldn't agree with you more. Having the freedom and flexibility to move around the draft board as needed is a great feeling to have finally. This is probably how New England has felt for the better part of the last decade.
Share 49ersWebzone