There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

tyler bray

watching highlights of patterson, hunter and ricks i couldnt help but notice bray has a big right arm, prototypical size and some mobility
i know that vols didnt win many game but this kid seems to have skills harbaugh could develop-- im thinking he might be available in round 4
Matt Scott>>>Tyler Bray


Scott on a lesser level can do all the same stuff that Kaepernick can, run the read option, run the pistol formation, is a threat to run or pass the ball, great leadership skills, strong football IQ, raw but highly talented.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:24 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
watching highlights of patterson, hunter and ricks i couldnt help but notice bray has a big right arm, prototypical size and some mobility
i know that vols didnt win many game but this kid seems to have skills harbaugh could develop-- im thinking he might be available in round 4

Yea Bray has one of the better arms in this draft. More than that he's skilled at 2nd and 3rd reads. I wouldnt mind bray at all.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Matt Scott>>>Tyler Bray


Scott on a lesser level can do all the same stuff that Kaepernick can, run the read option, run the pistol formation, is a threat to run or pass the ball, great leadership skills, strong football IQ, raw but highly talented.

it looks like the niners backup qb in 2013 will be tolzien---he is not suited for the read option....so i dont think the niners necessarily feel that their backup qb has to be a read option type of qb...scott would be a woefully inexperienced qb to rely on as backup to kaepernick were niners to draft scott, even though his skils might be suited to a read option....
i dont see any great options for read option qbs in free agency (and i know josh johnson is out there)..if kaepernick were not available i would think niners go back to an offensive scheme more akin to what they ran with alex smith

bray has higher uspdie than scott, has a much stronger arm so that he could eventually make some of the downfield throws that kaeprenick was making this season, and if he develops really well, might be a guy niners could flip later for a high draft pick(s), similar to the way the packers did with guys like hasselback, aaron brooks and mark brunell
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,124
Would love to have Bray, but we won't take another QB on the first day which I think he goes, or even on the second day in the 3rd. If hes there though in the 3rd, really hope they pick up that phone and make the call. Tyler Bray>>Scott Tolzien.
Bray is more best suited for a pro-style offense. He does need a bit of seasoning through-maturity and proper motivation.
Originally posted by hofer36:
it looks like the niners backup qb in 2013 will be tolzien---he is not suited for the read option....so i dont think the niners necessarily feel that their backup qb has to be a read option type of qb...scott would be a woefully inexperienced qb to rely on as backup to kaepernick were niners to draft scott, even though his skils might be suited to a read option....
i dont see any great options for read option qbs in free agency (and i know josh johnson is out there)..if kaepernick were not available i would think niners go back to an offensive scheme more akin to what they ran with alex smith

bray has higher uspdie than scott, has a much stronger arm so that he could eventually make some of the downfield throws that kaeprenick was making this season, and if he develops really well, might be a guy niners could flip later for a high draft pick(s), similar to the way the packers did with guys like hasselback, aaron brooks and mark brunell



Did you ever actually watch Matt Scott play? I'm just trying to figure out what you're basing this off of. I think Scott's got some of the highest potential of any QB this year, he's got the full repertoire, a strong arm, tremendous mobility, raw yes, but nobody is looking for him to do anything but be the #3 QB for a year or two. Develop him and he'll able to do a lot of the same things as Kaepernick and has the necessary mobility and explosiveness to be a major running threat as well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hofer36:
it looks like the niners backup qb in 2013 will be tolzien---he is not suited for the read option....so i dont think the niners necessarily feel that their backup qb has to be a read option type of qb...scott would be a woefully inexperienced qb to rely on as backup to kaepernick were niners to draft scott, even though his skils might be suited to a read option....
i dont see any great options for read option qbs in free agency (and i know josh johnson is out there)..if kaepernick were not available i would think niners go back to an offensive scheme more akin to what they ran with alex smith

bray has higher uspdie than scott, has a much stronger arm so that he could eventually make some of the downfield throws that kaeprenick was making this season, and if he develops really well, might be a guy niners could flip later for a high draft pick(s), similar to the way the packers did with guys like hasselback, aaron brooks and mark brunell



Did you ever actually watch Matt Scott play? I'm just trying to figure out what you're basing this off of. I think Scott's got some of the highest potential of any QB this year, he's got the full repertoire, a strong arm, tremendous mobility, raw yes, but nobody is looking for him to do anything but be the #3 QB for a year or two. Develop him and he'll able to do a lot of the same things as Kaepernick and has the necessary mobility and explosiveness to be a major running threat as well.

yes i have seen scott play, alot as i went to Arizona as an undergrad--wasnt really impressed...you are, apparently, fine...the board would be kind of boring, wouldnt it, if we just all adoppted your views
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hofer36:
it looks like the niners backup qb in 2013 will be tolzien---he is not suited for the read option....so i dont think the niners necessarily feel that their backup qb has to be a read option type of qb...scott would be a woefully inexperienced qb to rely on as backup to kaepernick were niners to draft scott, even though his skils might be suited to a read option....
i dont see any great options for read option qbs in free agency (and i know josh johnson is out there)..if kaepernick were not available i would think niners go back to an offensive scheme more akin to what they ran with alex smith

bray has higher uspdie than scott, has a much stronger arm so that he could eventually make some of the downfield throws that kaeprenick was making this season, and if he develops really well, might be a guy niners could flip later for a high draft pick(s), similar to the way the packers did with guys like hasselback, aaron brooks and mark brunell



Did you ever actually watch Matt Scott play? I'm just trying to figure out what you're basing this off of. I think Scott's got some of the highest potential of any QB this year, he's got the full repertoire, a strong arm, tremendous mobility, raw yes, but nobody is looking for him to do anything but be the #3 QB for a year or two. Develop him and he'll able to do a lot of the same things as Kaepernick and has the necessary mobility and explosiveness to be a major running threat as well.

This, +1

The Cardinulls have fallen in love with Bray over the weekend - he won't make it past the second round. Matt Scott can wear a ballcap and hold a clipboard for 2-3 years easy. Tolzien may not be able to run the Pistol, so it's a good thing that's only PART of the offense. IMO, I highly, HIGHLY doubt ANY QB's are taken in the first round.
Originally posted by hofer36:
yes i have seen scott play, alot as i went to Arizona as an undergrad--wasnt really impressed...you are, apparently, fine...the board would be kind of boring, wouldnt it, if we just all adoppted your views

How long ago was this undergrad of yours? Because the vast majority of his starting experience came this year. Any favorite professor's while you were there?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hofer36:
yes i have seen scott play, alot as i went to Arizona as an undergrad--wasnt really impressed...you are, apparently, fine...the board would be kind of boring, wouldnt it, if we just all adoppted your views

How long ago was this undergrad of yours? Because the vast majority of his starting experience came this year. Any favorite professor's while you were there?


undergrad was a long time ago but i still watch the team....the highlight was the comeback vs stanford....dont get me wrong im not saying scott is terrible i just like bray as a prospect better
[ Edited by hofer36 on Feb 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM ]
Not a bad guy for the PS...I'd think Harbaugh would like to get Josh Johnson back now w/Kap running the read-option. JJ would be a perfect b/u, and along w/Tolzien, there's your 3 QB's.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,888
Greg Cosell ‏@gregcosell

Asked about Bray. Obvious arm talent. Concerns are very loose + undisciplined in pocket. Efficiency drops dramatically in muddied pocket.

I'm always leery of QB who has hard time with bodies around him. Have to make those throws in NFL. Bray really struggled with that.

Another concern with Bray is functional mobility. Stiff in his movement. Don't have to be a runner but must avoid + reset. Didn't see that.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Greg Cosell ‏@gregcosell

Asked about Bray. Obvious arm talent. Concerns are very loose + undisciplined in pocket. Efficiency drops dramatically in muddied pocket.

I'm always leery of QB who has hard time with bodies around him. Have to make those throws in NFL. Bray really struggled with that.

Another concern with Bray is functional mobility. Stiff in his movement. Don't have to be a runner but must avoid + reset. Didn't see that.

Interesting. Seems similar to Glennon in a lot of ways - cannon for an arm, statue in the pocket. But I wouldn't touch either of them if I was the Niners. Mobility isn't essential to being a great QB (Brady, Manning, etc.) but pocket presence most certainly is. The aforementioned Brady and Manning aren't fast or athletic by any means, but their ability to sense pressure around them, step up in the pocket and deliver the throw sets them apart. Look at how many time Alex got sacked despite having arguably the best offensive line in the game behind him...his pocket presence was awful. Stagnant quarterbacks don't project well, especially at the next level.
if bray waited til next year to declare, he could of been a top 15 pick