There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Worried T Austin = Santana moss

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Slow your roll tiger, there are still other draft picks at our disposal as well as free agency where we could help those areas. It's not as if we have to be committed to taking a DL or DB with pick 31 to improve those areas.

Could say the exact same thing about WR. If a guy like Datone Jones is available late in the 1st, you'd be crazy to take Austin over him.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Could say the exact same thing about WR. If a guy like Datone Jones is available late in the 1st, you'd be crazy to take Austin over him.

All I have said regarding Austin was if he is the BPA you pull the trigger and take him. He could grade out higher than Jones overall, and if that was the case then you take him.
All I have said regarding Austin was if he is the BPA you pull the trigger and take him. He could grade out higher than Jones overall, and if that was the case then you take him.

I disagree, I think you give Jenkins a chance to show what he has, not draft yet another small, undersized WR.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Slow your roll tiger, there are still other draft picks at our disposal as well as free agency where we could help those areas. It's not as if we have to be committed to taking a DL or DB with pick 31 to improve those areas.

I'm with you in that our d-line needs outweigh our needs for offensive playmakers (which I think we have plenty), but totally disagree with your statement here PHX. While I have mocked Jones as our first round pick for several reasons, just in terms of pure football impact, Austin is a top-15 type of player. If Austin was there at #31, I'd take him in a heartbeat....I might even trade up if he lasted until the 20th pick or so, then marshal all of my other resources to trade back in to the 2nd to grab the best d-lineman available. TA is that good, IMO.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Don't want Austin whatsoever.

We need a taller, deep target to compliment Crabtree not a diminutive speedy guy. We already have that in Jenkins and Kyle Williams.

As far as the return game, why are people ever worried about that?

James returns kicks and then we put Perrish Cox or Jenkins back there for punt returns.

Pass on Austin, get a d-linemen or BPA available with the first round pick. Then look for bargain WRs like Da'Rick Rogers later on.

Actually that's a want not a need.

The Eagles were a top 10 team in 2009/2010/2011 in points scored with Maclin and DJax as their 1-2 punch. In that same time frame the Steelers, consistently placed just outside the top 10 with Wallace, Brown and Hines Ward. You don't need bigger receivers to put up points or to score down in the redzone.

The point is that we already have Williams and Jenkins. Not to say they are the same players as Tavon Austin but let's at least see what Jenkins provides us.

I think a taller, bigger-bodied, fight-for-the-ball-at-its-highest-point WR would suit the Niners best right now.

We need a taller, deep target to compliment Crabtree not a diminutive speedy guy. We already have that in Jenkins and Kyle Williams.

James returns kicks and then we put Perrish Cox or Jenkins back there for punt returns.

Pass on Austin, get a d-linemen or BPA available with the first round pick. Then look for bargain WRs like Da'Rick Rogers later on.

The Eagles were a top 10 team in 2009/2010/2011 in points scored with Maclin and DJax as their 1-2 punch. In that same time frame the Steelers, consistently placed just outside the top 10 with Wallace, Brown and Hines Ward. You don't need bigger receivers to put up points or to score down in the redzone.

Furthermore, what have Maclin and Jackson done as of late? They also spend an inordinate amount of time on the bench for a variety of injuries. Durability is a big concern there.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
The point is that we already have Williams and Jenkins. Not to say they are the same players as Tavon Austin but let's at least see what Jenkins provides us.

I think a taller, bigger-bodied, fight-for-the-ball-at-its-highest-point WR would suit the Niners best right now.

And waiting on Jenkins development could mean passing on the best offensive playmaker in the draft....you should hardly ever ignore your board. Trust in it and take the BPA. Austin has more upside and potential than either of Jenkins or Williams.

Furthermore, what have Maclin and Jackson done as of late? They also spend an inordinate amount of time on the bench for a variety of injuries. Durability is a big concern there.

What they have done as of late is irrelevant to the point. Maclin has missed 4 games the last 2 years while DJax has missed double that...but any player can be hurt at any time. Austin has proven durable up to this point...it'd be a little different if Austin spent a lot of time injured and unable to play at WVU but that is not the case.

Their injuries are not due to their size. Big receivers get hurt just as much.

And waiting on Jenkins development could mean passing on the best offensive playmaker in the draft....you should hardly ever ignore your board. Trust in it and take the BPA. Austin has more upside and potential than either of Jenkins or Williams.

What they have done as of late is irrelevant to the point. Maclin has missed 4 games the last 2 years while DJax has missed double that...but any player can be hurt at any time. Austin has proven durable up to this point...it'd be a little different if Austin spent a lot of time injured and unable to play at WVU but that is not the case.

Absolutely, always trust in the board. I just don't know how high of a ranking he will garner on their board. If a better or equal value d-linemen is there, the Niners take him.
Niners haven't drafted anyone yet. Stop your worrying.