LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

Worried T Austin = Santana moss

Originally posted by NTeply49:
Austin compliments Crabtree well and helps our team in the return game. I am concerned abiut Jenkins and his ability to play in the slot. We did try to use Gin on reverses the last few years. Also, I've been a fan of Santana Moss and he has always been a playmaker but has had steady inconsistency at qb wherever hes played and before Griffin showed up his best qbs were Chad Pennington and Rex Grossman. Bottom line is Austin has been healthy and and productive throughout his career and if he falls to 31, I say take him. Big bodied 1 trick pony deep threats can be found lower in the draft and he still has the speed to be Desean Jackson esque.

He'll be better than Desean Jackson.
Although we need to let AJ develop, we can't bank on that fact that he will. I like Austin. He is quick and fast. We need to add explosiveness to our offense, d-line and some d-backs. Draft the best player available like we have been doing. We have so many picks, I would think we will move up in the first round to pick someone that harbaalke likes.
I think there will be enough good talent at 31 that whoever we draft, we should be fine. Let's not forget, out offense was averaging 30 points a game at seasons end last year. I think with the return of Kyle Williams and drafting one other receiver (a later pick), and a TE (late pick) we should be fine. Should we actually draft Austin, and I'd seriously be shocked if we did, I'd expect some kind of move into the top of the second round to draft Datone Jones. This is an absolute must. I prefer we didn't take Austin, but if we did, I won't be upset with the pick. Just hope that we address the defensive line with two of our remaining picks in the first three rounds.

For us guys that prefer defensive line, Tavon Austin isn't a bad pick. Just not the one we want. He would clearly take the top off of a defense and would force teams to decide who will they double, Davis, Crabtree, or Austin? It also leaves things open for the backs, any other TE, and Jenkins who has a little speed himself. We just need to make sure we don't get so explosive that we don't have the ability to grind it out and have drives that eat up clock which would give our defense very little rest.

Also, as a Santana Moss fan since HS, I'd gladly take a guy like that at 31. Nice complement to Crabtree and considering what Moss did with some terrible to average starting QBs, I'd love to see what Santana Moss in the mid 2000s would've done with Colin Kaepernick throwing to him.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Feb 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
What's the problem with him being Santana Moss?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
What's the problem with him being Santana Moss?

There is nothing! I guess he expects us to draft a Jerry Rice....
Austin will probably never be as good as Santana Moss. You should be more worried about him being a bust. About 50% of all 1st round picks are busts. And by bust I mean they do completely nothing in this league. Think Rashaun Woods type bust (who was also a 1st rounder).

Just go to any draft in NFL history where we can look back with some perspective. Take the Woods class in 2004 for example...

1st round WRs in 2004

Larry Fitzgerald (#3 overall)
Roy Williams (7)
Reggie Williams (9)
Lee Evans (13)
Michael Clayton (15)
Michael Jenkins (29)
Rashaun Woods (31)

Only Fitz is a dominant WR. Roy Williams, Evans, and Clayton were all productive (as in they had some good years). Jenkins kind of hung around and never did much. Reggie Williams and Woods were flat out busts that did zero. Notice that only Fitz out of the seven receivers had a career better than Santana Moss. The other six were worse than Santana Moss.
Don't want Austin whatsoever.

We need a taller, deep target to compliment Crabtree not a diminutive speedy guy. We already have that in Jenkins and Kyle Williams.

As far as the return game, why are people ever worried about that?

James returns kicks and then we put Perrish Cox or Jenkins back there for punt returns.

Pass on Austin, get a d-linemen or BPA available with the first round pick. Then look for bargain WRs like Da'Rick Rogers later on.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

We need a taller, deep target to compliment Crabtree not a diminutive speedy guy. We already have that in Jenkins and Kyle Williams.

James returns kicks and then we put Perrish Cox or Jenkins back there for punt returns.

Pass on Austin, get a d-linemen or BPA available with the first round pick. Then look for bargain WRs like Da'Rick Rogers later on.

It's very possible he is the BPA at #31.

AGREED. Tired of the Niners taking smaller WRs. Niners need another big bodied receiver. Niners need to go after guys like Dobson, Hunter, Rogers, Williams, Woods, etc.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Actually that's a want not a need.

The Eagles were a top 10 team in 2009/2010/2011 in points scored with Maclin and DJax as their 1-2 punch. In that same time frame the Steelers, consistently placed just outside the top 10 with Wallace, Brown and Hines Ward. You don't need bigger receivers to put up points or to score down in the redzone.

We have enough little guys.

I hope every team is excited about Austin and we get the BDLA - Best DLine Available - Datone being first on my wish list.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Actually that's a want not a need.

The Eagles were a top 10 team in 2009/2010/2011 in points scored with Maclin and DJax as their 1-2 punch. In that same time frame the Steelers, consistently placed just outside the top 10 with Wallace, Brown and Hines Ward. You don't need bigger receivers to put up points or to score down in the redzone.

I remember those teams (more so the 2010-2011) for the Eagles being more of an explosive, big play offense. But what was their actual redzone scoring percentage?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I remember those teams (more so the 2010-2011) for the Eagles being more of an explosive, big play offense. But what was their actual redzone scoring percentage?

Eagles RZ offense has always been horrible.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

We have two good red zone targets in Crabtree and Davis. Gore is good too.
  • evil
  • Veteran

They were top 15/16 in each of those 3 years averaging 50% or better...without our running game and without Kap and the read option and pistol. We can easily be a top 10 team scoring without bigger receivers. Green Bay is another team who has been up atop the league in scoring with a higher RZ % and even before Nelson came on these last 2 years.

If Austin is the BPA at 31 you take him. 5"8 or 6"8 it doesn't matter, he is an explosive playmaking game changer. Austin on the offense will give opposing DC's nightmares.
Share 49ersWebzone