There are 152 users in the forums

Worried T Austin = Santana moss

• rtj03
  • Veteran
I like Austin a lot!!! Wouldn't mind if we drafted him. But he reminds me sooo much of Santana moss. Moss has been average his Entire career and really has never been the difference maker he was suppose to be when drafted.

Why is Austin different?
Austin just ran a 4.25! Santana Moss has always been pretty good. He's just getting older now and phased out. He's pretty much always been on barely average teams. The best QB he's ever had throwing to him is RG3 for one year.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:34 AM ]
Look at the glass half full. The folks are now being enthralled by 40 times and the underwear olympics. Teams that are losing need offense. They need to score points to keep their fan base hopeful. Because of this very reason I am predicting that 3 qb's go in round 1. They are not worthy of round 1, but with the rookie wage scale, paying someone 22 million over 4 years is less of a gamble than 55 million over 5 as in the past.

Geno Smith, Nassib and Barkley qb's gone b4 niners pick.

Tavon Austin, Kennan Allen et al b4 niners pick.

This is GREAT news because now the Niners can have a D lineman fall to pick 31, or even Kenny Vaccaro, who recently went in one mock draft at pick 32.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Look at the glass half full. The folks are now being enthralled by 40 times and the underwear olympics. Teams that are losing need offense. They need to score points to keep their fan base hopeful. Because of this very reason I am predicting that 3 qb's go in round 1. They are not worthy of round 1, but with the rookie wage scale, paying someone 22 million over 4 years is less of a gamble than 55 million over 5 as in the past.

This is GREAT news because now the Niners can have a D lineman fall to pick 31, or even Kenny Vaccaro, who recently went in one mock draft at pick 32.

This, reportedly Tank Carradine will also be ready to workout at his Pro Day....if so, that could shoot him back up into the 1st round. I care f**k all about Tavon Austin, this team got an undersized playmaker in Jenkins, they need to let him continue to develop. But if all of this craziness allows Datone Jones to fall to the 49ers, I'm down.
I don't care what he ran. I want no part of a guy who measured at 5'8" and 172 pounds. Bill Polian said he'll be a return guy and a guy who runs bubble screens. No way do I use a first round pick on him. As phoenix stated we have our fast slot receiver in AJ Jenkins. We need a outside receiver to compliment Crabtree.
Wow Austin better time than Percy Harvin just blew me away! Can't wait for Markus Wheaton
Norwalks Best, Austin also weighs 30 pounds lighter then Percy Harvin. Austin just isn't in Percy Harvins class.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This, reportedly Tank Carradine will also be ready to workout at his Pro Day....if so, that could shoot him back up into the 1st round. I care f**k all about Tavon Austin, this team got an undersized playmaker in Jenkins, they need to let him continue to develop. But if all of this craziness allows Datone Jones to fall to the 49ers, I'm down.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erred:

This is me living in my arm chair GM world. Imagine if more offensive players do get picked in the first 30 picks causing DL and safeties to fall.

Pick 31- Jesse Williams- Would pick him over Datone Jones, but wait it gets better.

In my dream world, the Niners Trade Alex Smith, and their second round pick (pick 62) for pick 34, could be realistic as the Chief still get a second rounder and AS.

Pick 34- Niners pick Datone Jones. - Boom, the Niners have a young DL to devlope under Cowboy and McDonald.

Then backfill the rest of the draft, getting a kicker in the 5th. This is my dream, ridiculous yes, but we all can dream.
Dude is the next Steve Smith (Panthers, not Rams) only Austin will be more explosive. Best playmaker in the draft and he'll still be doing it in the NFL. I would take just him over Manningham AND Williams.

Still would prefer Datone Jones or Jesse Williams in the first though.
I wouldn't say Santana Moss has been average. He was a first team all pro one year. He has never had a good QB so that hurts his numbers. But he has been a pretty good player and returner. However if we do draft Austin I hope he is a better player than Moss.

Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Norwalks Best, Austin also weighs 30 pounds lighter then Percy Harvin. Austin just isn't in Percy Harvins class.

Correction Harvin (184) is 10 lbs heavier than Austin (174) & is NOT injury prone that wants $
  • evil
  • Veteran
I don't care what he ran. I want no part of a guy who measured at 5'8" and 172 pounds. Bill Polian said he'll be a return guy and a guy who runs bubble screens. No way do I use a first round pick on him. As phoenix stated we have our fast slot receiver in AJ Jenkins. We need a outside receiver to compliment Crabtree.

Harvin was similar coming out. Bill Polian's word isn't gospel, it is one opinion.

Harvin was 20 pounds heavier BUT Harvin had durability issues coming out of UF, Austin does not to date.

Another player of similar size and ability is Colts 3rd round pick T.Y Hilton who measured an inch taller but weighed about the same, give or take a couple pounds. And look what the 3rd rounder Hilton who was not nearly as impressive on tape or as widely regsarded as a prospect as Austin was and is and ran slower than Austin did. Hilton had 50 catches for 800+ yards and 7 TD's last year as a rookie as well as returned a punt for a TD.

Austin is a guy who you can line up in the backfield, out wide, in the slot and can play ST's. Harbaugh and Greg Roman would be able to get very creative and create a whole lot of mismatches by adding a guy like Austin to this offense, when you factor in the rest of the talent on offensive side of the ball. If he is the BPA when we pick, there is no reason not to pull the trigger.
Santana Moss is approaching 10,000 yards receiving in his career. If you told me whoever we draft will get to 10,000 yards receiving, I'm pretty sure I'd sign up for that.
Mayock saying he's a match-up nightmare and very tough.
Austin compliments Crabtree well and helps our team in the return game. I am concerned abiut Jenkins and his ability to play in the slot. We did try to use Gin on reverses the last few years. Also, I've been a fan of Santana Moss and he has always been a playmaker but has had steady inconsistency at qb wherever hes played and before Griffin showed up his best qbs were Chad Pennington and Rex Grossman. Bottom line is Austin has been healthy and and productive throughout his career and if he falls to 31, I say take him. Big bodied 1 trick pony deep threats can be found lower in the draft and he still has the speed to be Desean Jackson esque.
Share 49ersWebzone