LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Caleb Sturgis-K-Florida

This guy is the best kicker in this draft, period. He's clearly been the best kicker at the Combine and has a nice combination of leg strength and accuracy. He's the only kicker in this draft that I would be happy spending anything more than a 6th round pick on. Hopkins is a nice player as well, but falls behind Sturgis when it comes to overall kicking accuracy.
Eh, I'd definitely take Sturgis, but I'd prefer Hopkins. Pretty much a wash, but Hopkins has a stronger leg.

While you're right that Sturgis is just the slightest bit more accurate, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in watching them kick in a dome with no rush.
Take a look at their numbers.

DHOP FG 25/30 XP 65/66, 50YRDS + 5/5, LONGEST 56 YRDS

STURGIS FG 24/28 XP 34/35, 50YRDS + 3/3, LONGEST 51 YRDS.

I would feel comfortable with either of them and I would prefer we save some money and draft a kicker instead of FA. If I was picking I would go with DHop.
Didnt you just post this 2 days ago????

"Round 6-Dustin Hopkins-K-Florida State-6'2", 190. 49ers need a kicker, Hopkins is the top prospect this year. If he's not available, Caleb Sturgis and Quinn Sharp are acceptable alternatives. 49ers should definitely try and add a kicker in this draft, doing so is essential with Akers looking shaky in regards to the future."

Kind of funny that 2 days ago Sturgis was an "acceptable alternative" and now he is the "best kicker period".

I think they are very close and the Niners will be fine with either in the 6th round
Originally posted by eonblue:
Take a look at their numbers.

DHOP FG 25/30 XP 65/66, 50YRDS + 5/5, LONGEST 56 YRDS

STURGIS FG 24/28 XP 34/35, 50YRDS + 3/3, LONGEST 51 YRDS.

I would feel comfortable with either of them and I would prefer we save some money and draft a kicker instead of FA. If I was picking I would go with DHop.

Virtually every single of Sturgis' misses was due to a blocked field goal as he had some craptastic blocking.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

"Round 6-Dustin Hopkins-K-Florida State-6'2", 190. 49ers need a kicker, Hopkins is the top prospect this year. If he's not available, Caleb Sturgis and Quinn Sharp are acceptable alternatives. 49ers should definitely try and add a kicker in this draft, doing so is essential with Akers looking shaky in regards to the future."

Kind of funny that 2 days ago Sturgis was an "acceptable alternative" and now he is the "best kicker period".

I think they are very close and the Niners will be fine with either in the 6th round

I like what I've seen from Sturgis at the Combine, seeing him and Hopkins side by side on the same field, he's got a much smoother kicking motion, not a Zeurlein-like leg but seems to be a guy who can basically be automatic from 45 and under.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Eh, I'd definitely take Sturgis, but I'd prefer Hopkins. Pretty much a wash, but Hopkins has a stronger leg.

While you're right that Sturgis is just the slightest bit more accurate, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in watching them kick in a dome with no rush.

Both have pretty strong legs, Hopkins longest is only one yard more at 56. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted a kicker (hopefully Hopkins or Sturgis), but the 9ers haven't fared well when drafting kickers. I'd much rather looked to a veteran though.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Both have pretty strong legs, Hopkins longest is only one yard more at 56. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted a kicker (hopefully Hopkins or Sturgis), but the 9ers haven't fared well when drafting kickers. I'd much rather looked to a veteran though.

I would prefer either of these guys than a vet.
I would prefer either of these guys than a vet.

They might as well kick around some rocks with Phil Dawson, especially since Seely used to be his special teams coach.
Don't know much about these kickers but from the profiles seems like Hopkins has a better leg than Sturgis as far as kickoffs & touchbacks.

Other kicking prospects that I like

Brett Baer-Louisiana-Lafayette

Zach Brown-Portland State

Quinn Sharp-Oklahoma State

Did I say Sturgis was UNACCEPTABLE? No. I didn't even post that either. I don't even understand what in my post even implied that I thought Sturgis was a unsuitable prospect. But yea he's awful and I'll kill myself if we draft him. It will be the end of the team.
Originally posted by eonblue:

Did I say Sturgis was UNACCEPTABLE? No. I didn't even post that either. I don't even understand what in my post even implied that I thought Sturgis was a unsuitable prospect. But yea he's awful and I'll kill myself if we draft him. It will be the end of the team.

I think its Hopkins or nothing Sturgis does not do well in kickoffs as far as touchbacks & Quinn Sharp has the leg but inconsistant. Hopkins also became the NCAA FBS all-time kick scorer with 459 points.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Virtually every single of Sturgis' misses was due to a blocked field goal as he had some craptastic blocking.

Yea Florida has a pretty craptastic offense as well so Sturgis and his accuracy won them a couple of games. I like Sturgis and he has a better motion. I just don't know if hes got a boomer leg.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I think its Hopkins or nothing Sturgis does not do well in kickoffs as far as touchbacks & Quinn Sharp has the leg but inconsistant. Hopkins also became the NCAA FBS all-time kick scorer with 459 points.

Hopkins scored 25% of FSU points. Sturgis had 32% of Florida points.
Share 49ersWebzone