There are 321 users in the forums

Caleb Sturgis-K-Florida

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I think its Hopkins or nothing Sturgis does not do well in kickoffs as far as touchbacks & Quinn Sharp has the leg but inconsistant. Hopkins also became the NCAA FBS all-time kick scorer with 459 points.

Sturgis was completely and utterly clutch throughout his career as a kicker while Hopkins did choke in a few big moments. There's upsides and downsides to both players.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Yea Florida has a pretty craptastic offense as well so Sturgis and his accuracy won them a couple of games. I like Sturgis and he has a better motion. I just don't know if hes got a boomer leg.

Sufficient enough to hit from 56 yards out.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Didnt you just post this 2 days ago????

"Round 6-Dustin Hopkins-K-Florida State-6'2", 190. 49ers need a kicker, Hopkins is the top prospect this year. If he's not available, Caleb Sturgis and Quinn Sharp are acceptable alternatives. 49ers should definitely try and add a kicker in this draft, doing so is essential with Akers looking shaky in regards to the future."

Kind of funny that 2 days ago Sturgis was an "acceptable alternative" and now he is the "best kicker period".

I think they are very close and the Niners will be fine with either in the 6th round

I like what I've seen from Sturgis at the Combine, seeing him and Hopkins side by side on the same field, he's got a much smoother kicking motion, not a Zeurlein-like leg but seems to be a guy who can basically be automatic from 45 and under.

This is exactly what we would need from a kicker. Akers last season kicked 6 of his 42 field goals from 50+ and 23 of them were within 40 yards. We're a team that typically has shorter field goals, so accuracy is much more important than a strong leg IMO.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sturgis was completely and utterly clutch throughout his career as a kicker while Hopkins did choke in a few big moments. There's upsides and downsides to both players.

There's no wrong answer here. I actually picked Sturgis a couple of weeks ago in my mock. I changed my mind because Hopkins has proved he can make the 50+. So can Sturgis but stats, stats, stats, Yet again no wrong answer though.
How many teams need a kicker? I do not know? If the answer is more than the niners, then the niners should use their 5th round or 4th round pick to get the kicker they want.
Hopkins or Sturgis. It doesnt matter as long as we get one of them. I would never use a 4th rounder for a kicker though. 5th at the earliest and hopefully a 6th.
Draft him then trade him for the Rams kicker
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Hopkins or Sturgis. It doesnt matter as long as we get one of them. I would never use a 4th rounder for a kicker though. 5th at the earliest and hopefully a 6th.

5th sounds good to me
Share 49ersWebzone