LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 349 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers semi Pre-Senior Bowl Mock Draft

After a few of these, my picks are really starting to coalesce.....the Senior Bowl can adjust availability somewhat but I feel pretty good about the players that I have selected here. I'm still predicting Alex to go to KC for their 3rd rounder and the 49ers to get comp picks in Rounds 4,7 and 7. I'm not selecting any OLB's because I think the 49ers have potential with Darius Fleming as well as Cam Johnson, not to mention Haralson will be back.

Round 1--Datone Jones-DE-UCLA-6'4"280. After his performance at the Senior Bowl, I'm totally on board this bandwagon. He showed a tremendous combination of athleticism and technique. He can stand to add more weight but size-wise he is the closest to Justin Smith when he came out of college, bigger even actually. He can stop the rush but also has a great ability to rush the passer which I think is crucial, this defense has been most effective with Justin Smith reliably getting penetration and requiring a double-team to stop him. All the tools are there for him to be a dominant player, next season he could be a regular rotational DE, subbing in for Smith and McDonald throughout the game, allowing this team to maintain their pass rush which is tremendously important, we've see what this defense looks like when the pass rush is hindered, the need to get to the quarterback is most crucial.

Unlike many others, I DO think he'll be available still at this point, there's quite a few D-line prospects ranked over him and I see him as an early 2nd rounder.

Round 2-Quinton Patton-WR-Louisiana Tech-6'0", 205. There's nothing to say that I haven't said really, this guy is the truth, I'm convinced he's going to be a star in the NFL, he'll make for a very useful #2 WR opposite Crabtree and the more diverse the offense becomes, the better off this team will be. Manningham's injury was severe enough that WR is a need and Patton fills this role tremendously. I'm basically hoping that his numbers will be off enough at the Combine to scare some teams away. He's a phenomenal prospect and perhaps the most game-ready WR in this draft. Comes with leadership ability, tenacity, not great speed but very deceptive quickness and an ability to make cuts without really slowing down, he has tremendous hands and is an eager blocker. I've been on board this bandwagon for awhile, I'm convinced he's going to be an outstanding player in the NFL.

Round 3-(KC pick)-Brandon Williams-NT-Missouri Southern-6'2",341. Williams proved he can hang with top competition at the Senior Bowl. He has the tools to be a pro-level NT and really isn't very far off from Jonathan Jenkins in terms of overall talent. He might move up quite a bit more depending on the Combine results, especially with a few more teams going to be running the 3-4 next season and looking for an NT. If the 49ers could pull off snagging Williams AND Jones, I'd be ecstatic, that is the future of the defensive line right there, with both guys being able to develop under Tomsula and being slowly brought into eventual starting roles.

Round 3-(Carolina pick)-Robert Alford-CB-Southeast Louisiana-5'9", 182. Just a playmaker all the way, when you see him play, he is very fluid, moves naturally, very feisty and loves to compete. He doesn't have the ideal size but he is a fierce competitor and looks to be a tremendous cornerback at the next level.

Round 3-Bacarri Rambo-FS-Georgia-6'1", 215. His stock fell some with the Senior Bowl but I still like him as a prospect quite a lot. He's very aggressive, loves to hit, plays the centerfield role very well, similar to Dashon Goldson in many ways, he is also bigger than initially thought, pretty good size for a safety and he fits this defense well, at this spot in the draft he's a bargain. An alternate at this spot could also be DJ Swearinger of South Carolina.

Round 4-Jordan Mills-OT-Louisiana Tech-6'5", 316. Love him as a player. Hard-working guy, plays with a mean streak a mile long, very aggressive, plays violently, keeps fighting and fighting, plays very physically, a street-fighter sort of mentality. I think he'll go a bit earlier than this, but if available, he'd be a hell of a steal, providing depth at tackle and insurance in case the 49ers can't re-sign Anthony Davis a couple years from now.

Round 4-Matt Scott-QB-Arizona-6'2", 215. The ideal future backup for Kaepernick, a capable passer and runner, can eventually develop into a starter. Very good leadership ability, tremendous athleticism, fairly strong arm, a nice player to simply let him sit and develop for a couple of seasons. Some may think that this too early for a QB but if you can get a guy like this, with his potential, who can fit right into the same offense as Kaepernick, its a valuable addition to your that shouldn't be underestimated.

Round 5-Dennis Johnson-RB-Arkansas-5'9", 210-Another one of my favorites, a very hard-working north-south runner with good athleticism, also performed as a kick returner, he's not a guy who dances around and waits, he looks for daylight, commits, hits the hole and will carry tacklers for another yard or two, always pushing forward trying to get more yardage. Good receiving skills out of the backfield, also a strong blocker as well, this is someone I'd look at grooming to eventually take over for Gore or perform in a platoon with Hunter and James.

Round 5-Mychael Rivera-TE-Tennessee-6'3", 235-Very good receiving tight-end, similar to Jordan Reed, athletic with good, reliable hands, fairly raw as a blocker but could be a good replacement for Delanie, would likely need some time to develop and improve his blocking but a nice addition to make this team more threatening in the redzone.

Round 6-Marquess Wilson-WR-Washington-6'3", 210. Wherever he gets picked, it will likely be too low, he's a physically impressive receiver, not a speedster by any means but has good hands and could be a useful addition. 49ers could be without Moss next year and Wilson could add a bigger, more physical element. Additionally Manningham may not return until after the season has started so another WR in the draft could be very helpful.

Round 6-Dustin Hopkins-K-Florida State-6'2", 190. 49ers need a kicker, Hopkins is the top prospect this year. If he's not available, Caleb Sturgis and Quinn Sharp are acceptable alternatives. 49ers should definitely try and add a kicker in this draft, doing so is essential with Akers looking shaky in regards to the future.

Round 7-Chris Jones-DE/DT-Bowling Green-6'2", 295. Worth a look. He was dominating at Bowling Green, capable pass rusher, not very refined, but plays aggressively with a solid motor. At this point in the draft, why not one more D-Line prospect to see what he's got

Round 7-Robert McCabe-ILB-Georgetown-6'1", 232. Could be a needed replacement for Larry Grant, also can contribute on special teams. He was a very good player at Georgetown, a bit undersized but a very capable inside linebacker and reliable tackler. Has good leadership skills, was team captain and leading tackler, tremendous college production, albeit at a lower level.

Round 7-Mark Harrison-WR-Rutgers-6'3", 233. Potential as a WR and could develop into an elite H-back like Walker down the road. Plays with a lot of strength, difficult to tackle in the open field, eager blocker, decent athleticism for his size, has the frame to add some more weight and possibly move to TE down the road, raw and could use some time to develop but would be a valuable addition at WR/TE..outplayed Sanu for much of last season.....at this point in the draft, its damn worth the risk to do so IMO.

Round 7-Tony Tatum-CB-Gallaudet-6'2", 200. My favorite late-round small school prospect. Well-built player who is a tenacious defender, very aggressive cornerback, huge playmaker, he could be gone before this point but looks and plays the part of a good man to man cornerback. Doesn't shy way from physical contact, confident bordering on cocky, has absolutely dominated, basically the Revis of D3 football, played at a low level of competition this will drop him, as well as him being deaf, which is something he's managed with due to him being very instinctual. He could go anywhere from the mid 6th round to being undrafted, I think at this point in the draft, he'd be a terrific choice, especially with his physical size.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM ]
ain't no talking you out of Patton is there?
Hell no. Everything about the guy screams "winner." I like him far better as a receiver than guys like Justin Hunter, Bailey and others. He's just a great prospect and I think his chances of success in the NFL are very good and that down the road a few years he'll be one of the top receivers in the league. I would take him over every single WR in this draft not named Keenan Allen or Cordarelle Patterson. There's no real weaknesses to his game, he needs to be a little more physical, but otherwise.........great blocker? check. great leader? check. runs beautiful routes? check. Dependable hands? check. Quickness for separation? check....and on and on.

now watch him go be a bust and fall flat on his face and I'll look like a dumbass.
I like it Phoenix. Not sure Datane will be there for that pick, I'd probably go with Hankins at #31 considering he most likely WILL be there. I have to look into Patton - don't really know anything about him. The rest of it I can see panning out fairly well. One of the better mocks I've seen so far considering a lot of the other ones have the 49ers trading like 5 picks and Alex Smith to Cleveland for the #6 pick .....
Or tradin Alex and 3 or 4 picks to KC for their 2nd
No offense to anyone else that has posted a mock, but this is definitely my favorite so far. I like hitting the DE first and then getting NT a pick or two later and not just loading up on like 3 NT's.
Originally posted by Beeker:
I like it Phoenix. Not sure Datane will be there for that pick, I'd probably go with Hankins at #31 considering he most likely WILL be there. I have to look into Patton - don't really know anything about him. The rest of it I can see panning out fairly well. One of the better mocks I've seen so far considering a lot of the other ones have the 49ers trading like 5 picks and Alex Smith to Cleveland for the #6 pick .....
Or tradin Alex and 3 or 4 picks to KC for their 2nd

If Jones isn't available, then Jesse Williams would be the likely pick, if neither, then a trade down and acquire more picks, this year or next.
I think you probably have Jones and Williams too low. Also, surprised that you don't have any 3/4 OLB. But overall I think its very well done. I'd be ecstatic if the draft fell that way.
Originally posted by Butter:
I think you probably have Jones and Williams too low. Also, surprised that you don't have any 3/4 OLB. But overall I think its very well done. I'd be ecstatic if the draft fell that way.

Like I said, I think people are overrating where Jones and Williams will get drafted. Kendall Reyes was supposed to be a Top 25 pick right after the Combine and he ended up picked in the middle of the 2nd round and I thought he was a better overall prospect as a 3-4 DE. Now obviously there's variations between two drafts and this one isn't nearly as deep, but I still feel pretty good about Jones being there at Pick 31.

If you're a 4-3 team, there's a ton of other defensive lineman that are slated to go before Jones, if you're a 3-4 team, you look at him and see that he has work to do, needs to add weight, which is fine if you're the 49ers, not fine if a team actually wants a starter.
... and yet another damn good mock... me likes!
I've only seen one mock with Jones taken in the first, which may mean he is viewed more as a 2nd rounder. This draft would be a success solely off of Datone Jones, Brandon Willisms, Dustin Hopkins, and Robert Alford panning out. We'd have a true defensive line rotation and I like that you revisited the defensive line again late in the draft.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I've only seen one mock with Jones taken in the first, which may mean he is viewed more as a 2nd rounder. This draft would be a success solely off of Datone Jones, Brandon Willisms, Dustin Hopkins, and Robert Alford panning out. We'd have a true defensive line rotation and I like that you revisited the defensive line again late in the draft.

Also by no means is Chris Jones a throwaway player in the 7th, he was an absolute beast and dominated his level of college football. He brought a non-stop pass rushing and run stuffing presence to the Bowling Green defense.
I really like it - VERY smart and well thought out.

I'm a "Wars are won in the trenches" guy. Based on what happened when Justin went down and our aweful DLine rotation - I think you hit a home run.
Datone, BWilliams are very soild picks AND little by little I'm hearin more about Chris Jones DE/DT - so we're good.

Good move on Jordan Mills OT. Develop now.

Do you think w/Kap's success and Wilson's that Scott QB might be taken earlier bya team like Eagles or Browns looking to develop that scheme?

Really like Alford. How good is Rambo in pass coverage? Anyone better in that aspect who'd be available in that spot?

My gut feeling is we'll have to move up to the very top of the 6th or into te 5th for Hopkins and I feel a player who can win close games for 10+ years would be well-worth it. Just my opinion.

I hope it happens like this - Thanks.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really like it - VERY smart and well thought out.

I'm a "Wars are won in the trenches" guy. Based on what happened when Justin went down and our aweful DLine rotation - I think you hit a home run.
Datone, BWilliams are very soild picks AND little by little I'm hearin more about Chris Jones DE/DT - so we're good.

Good move on Jordan Mills OT. Develop now.

Do you think w/Kap's success and Wilson's that Scott QB might be taken earlier bya team like Eagles or Browns looking to develop that scheme?

Really like Alford. How good is Rambo in pass coverage? Anyone better in that aspect who'd be available in that spot?

My gut feeling is we'll have to move up to the very top of the 6th or into te 5th for Hopkins and I feel a player who can win close games for 10+ years would be well-worth it. Just my opinion.

I hope it happens like this - Thanks.

I think that Scott has already gotten a big jump as a result of the hype, but teams will look at his overall body of work and see that he is still very raw as he was stuck behind Foles most of the time andhad less than 20 career starts. For a team hoping to get production fairly soon, I think EJ Manuel is the best bet bet, but for the 49ers purposes, a guy like Scott could simply and watch for 2 seasons, all the raw talent is there, just needs to be developed. I think late 4th to late 5th round is pretty fair for him.

I agree with your comments about the defensive line. I think this team really needs to rebuild that area and add more depth. They've got one very good DE in McDonald and one great DE in Justin Smith and then a bunch of unknowns or average performers. The more they can upgrade that area, the better off they will be.

Rambo can realistically play either safety position, he played very well as a deep safety, almost set the Georgia record for interceptions, he also played quite well closer to the line, his tackling technique needs some work. He loves to hit and hard, would be a good fit opposite Goldson in this defense.

I like Alford, I also like Leon McFadden and the 49ers supposedly have been all over Terry Hawthorne, IMO you can't really go wrong with any one of those guys.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Very awesome Mock Draft, yes we have been on the opposite sides of things Phoenix, but that draft was very well done, agree with most of your picks. Datone Jones seems to be the pick around here, and once the Webzone narrows down their choices, by some odd reason one of them is the pick. Aside from Kentwan Balmer and AJ Jenkins, this place has been pretty spot on. Love the 1st-3rd rounds, much needed depth and I think Alford, Patton and Jones could contribute right from the start. I will still stick to my pick in Kawann Short though.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Very awesome Mock Draft, yes we have been on the opposite sides of things Phoenix, but that draft was very well done, agree with most of your picks. Datone Jones seems to be the pick around here, and once the Webzone narrows down their choices, by some odd reason one of them is the pick. Aside from Kentwan Balmer and AJ Jenkins, this place has been pretty spot on. Love the 1st-3rd rounds, much needed depth and I think Alford, Patton and Jones could contribute right from the start. I will still stick to my pick in Kawann Short though.
You know how selfish you sound right now?
Share 49ersWebzone