There are 709 users in the forums
Phoenix49ers semi Pre-Senior Bowl Mock Draft
- 1 2
Browse 49ers books and videos
Feb 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM
- vrabbit
- Veteran
- Posts: 35,953
ain't no talking you out of Patton is there?
Feb 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,360
Hell no.
Everything about the guy screams "winner." I like him far better as a receiver than guys like Justin Hunter, Bailey and others. He's just a great prospect and I think his chances of success in the NFL are very good and that down the road a few years he'll be one of the top receivers in the league. I would take him over every single WR in this draft not named Keenan Allen or Cordarelle Patterson. There's no real weaknesses to his game, he needs to be a little more physical, but otherwise.........great blocker? check. great leader? check. runs beautiful routes? check. Dependable hands? check. Quickness for separation? check....and on and on.
now watch him go be a bust and fall flat on his face and I'll look like a dumbass.
Everything about the guy screams "winner." I like him far better as a receiver than guys like Justin Hunter, Bailey and others. He's just a great prospect and I think his chances of success in the NFL are very good and that down the road a few years he'll be one of the top receivers in the league. I would take him over every single WR in this draft not named Keenan Allen or Cordarelle Patterson. There's no real weaknesses to his game, he needs to be a little more physical, but otherwise.........great blocker? check. great leader? check. runs beautiful routes? check. Dependable hands? check. Quickness for separation? check....and on and on. now watch him go be a bust and fall flat on his face and I'll look like a dumbass.
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM
- Beeker
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,785
I like it Phoenix. Not sure Datane will be there for that pick, I'd probably go with Hankins at #31 considering he most likely WILL be there. I have to look into Patton - don't really know anything about him. The rest of it I can see panning out fairly well. One of the better mocks I've seen so far considering a lot of the other ones have the 49ers trading like 5 picks and Alex Smith to Cleveland for the #6 pick .....
Or tradin Alex and 3 or 4 picks to KC for their 2nd

Or tradin Alex and 3 or 4 picks to KC for their 2nd
Feb 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM
- sacguy08
- Veteran
- Posts: 85
No offense to anyone else that has posted a mock, but this is definitely my favorite so far. I like hitting the DE first and then getting NT a pick or two later and not just loading up on like 3 NT's.
Feb 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,360
Originally posted by Beeker:
I like it Phoenix. Not sure Datane will be there for that pick, I'd probably go with Hankins at #31 considering he most likely WILL be there. I have to look into Patton - don't really know anything about him. The rest of it I can see panning out fairly well. One of the better mocks I've seen so far considering a lot of the other ones have the 49ers trading like 5 picks and Alex Smith to Cleveland for the #6 pick .....
Or tradin Alex and 3 or 4 picks to KC for their 2nd
If Jones isn't available, then Jesse Williams would be the likely pick, if neither, then a trade down and acquire more picks, this year or next.
Feb 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM
- Butter
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,484
I think you probably have Jones and Williams too low. Also, surprised that you don't have any 3/4 OLB. But overall I think its very well done. I'd be ecstatic if the draft fell that way.
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,360
Originally posted by Butter:
I think you probably have Jones and Williams too low. Also, surprised that you don't have any 3/4 OLB. But overall I think its very well done. I'd be ecstatic if the draft fell that way.
Like I said, I think people are overrating where Jones and Williams will get drafted. Kendall Reyes was supposed to be a Top 25 pick right after the Combine and he ended up picked in the middle of the 2nd round and I thought he was a better overall prospect as a 3-4 DE. Now obviously there's variations between two drafts and this one isn't nearly as deep, but I still feel pretty good about Jones being there at Pick 31.
If you're a 4-3 team, there's a ton of other defensive lineman that are slated to go before Jones, if you're a 3-4 team, you look at him and see that he has work to do, needs to add weight, which is fine if you're the 49ers, not fine if a team actually wants a starter.
Feb 23, 2013 at 6:36 AM
- Mr.Mcgibblets
- Veteran
- Posts: 15,079
... and yet another damn good mock... me likes!
Feb 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM
- LifelongNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,758
I've only seen one mock with Jones taken in the first, which may mean he is viewed more as a 2nd rounder. This draft would be a success solely off of Datone Jones, Brandon Willisms, Dustin Hopkins, and Robert Alford panning out. We'd have a true defensive line rotation and I like that you revisited the defensive line again late in the draft.
Feb 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,360
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I've only seen one mock with Jones taken in the first, which may mean he is viewed more as a 2nd rounder. This draft would be a success solely off of Datone Jones, Brandon Willisms, Dustin Hopkins, and Robert Alford panning out. We'd have a true defensive line rotation and I like that you revisited the defensive line again late in the draft.
Also by no means is Chris Jones a throwaway player in the 7th, he was an absolute beast and dominated his level of college football. He brought a non-stop pass rushing and run stuffing presence to the Bowling Green defense.
Feb 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,886
I really like it - VERY smart and well thought out.
I'm a "Wars are won in the trenches" guy. Based on what happened when Justin went down and our aweful DLine rotation - I think you hit a home run.
Datone, BWilliams are very soild picks AND little by little I'm hearin more about Chris Jones DE/DT - so we're good.
Good move on Jordan Mills OT. Develop now.
Do you think w/Kap's success and Wilson's that Scott QB might be taken earlier bya team like Eagles or Browns looking to develop that scheme?
Really like Alford. How good is Rambo in pass coverage? Anyone better in that aspect who'd be available in that spot?
My gut feeling is we'll have to move up to the very top of the 6th or into te 5th for Hopkins and I feel a player who can win close games for 10+ years would be well-worth it. Just my opinion.
I hope it happens like this - Thanks.
I'm a "Wars are won in the trenches" guy. Based on what happened when Justin went down and our aweful DLine rotation - I think you hit a home run.
Datone, BWilliams are very soild picks AND little by little I'm hearin more about Chris Jones DE/DT - so we're good.
Good move on Jordan Mills OT. Develop now.
Do you think w/Kap's success and Wilson's that Scott QB might be taken earlier bya team like Eagles or Browns looking to develop that scheme?
Really like Alford. How good is Rambo in pass coverage? Anyone better in that aspect who'd be available in that spot?
My gut feeling is we'll have to move up to the very top of the 6th or into te 5th for Hopkins and I feel a player who can win close games for 10+ years would be well-worth it. Just my opinion.
I hope it happens like this - Thanks.
Feb 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,360
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really like it - VERY smart and well thought out.
I'm a "Wars are won in the trenches" guy. Based on what happened when Justin went down and our aweful DLine rotation - I think you hit a home run.
Datone, BWilliams are very soild picks AND little by little I'm hearin more about Chris Jones DE/DT - so we're good.
Good move on Jordan Mills OT. Develop now.
Do you think w/Kap's success and Wilson's that Scott QB might be taken earlier bya team like Eagles or Browns looking to develop that scheme?
Really like Alford. How good is Rambo in pass coverage? Anyone better in that aspect who'd be available in that spot?
My gut feeling is we'll have to move up to the very top of the 6th or into te 5th for Hopkins and I feel a player who can win close games for 10+ years would be well-worth it. Just my opinion.
I hope it happens like this - Thanks.
I think that Scott has already gotten a big jump as a result of the hype, but teams will look at his overall body of work and see that he is still very raw as he was stuck behind Foles most of the time andhad less than 20 career starts. For a team hoping to get production fairly soon, I think EJ Manuel is the best bet bet, but for the 49ers purposes, a guy like Scott could simply and watch for 2 seasons, all the raw talent is there, just needs to be developed. I think late 4th to late 5th round is pretty fair for him.
I agree with your comments about the defensive line. I think this team really needs to rebuild that area and add more depth. They've got one very good DE in McDonald and one great DE in Justin Smith and then a bunch of unknowns or average performers. The more they can upgrade that area, the better off they will be.
Rambo can realistically play either safety position, he played very well as a deep safety, almost set the Georgia record for interceptions, he also played quite well closer to the line, his tackling technique needs some work. He loves to hit and hard, would be a good fit opposite Goldson in this defense.
I like Alford, I also like Leon McFadden and the 49ers supposedly have been all over Terry Hawthorne, IMO you can't really go wrong with any one of those guys.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]
Feb 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM
- Kolohe
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 67,089
Very awesome Mock Draft, yes we have been on the opposite sides of things Phoenix, but that draft was very well done, agree with most of your picks. Datone Jones seems to be the pick around here, and once the Webzone narrows down their choices, by some odd reason one of them is the pick. Aside from Kentwan Balmer and AJ Jenkins, this place has been pretty spot on. Love the 1st-3rd rounds, much needed depth and I think Alford, Patton and Jones could contribute right from the start. I will still stick to my pick in Kawann Short though.
Feb 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,360
Originally posted by Kolohe:You know how selfish you sound right now?
Very awesome Mock Draft, yes we have been on the opposite sides of things Phoenix, but that draft was very well done, agree with most of your picks. Datone Jones seems to be the pick around here, and once the Webzone narrows down their choices, by some odd reason one of them is the pick. Aside from Kentwan Balmer and AJ Jenkins, this place has been pretty spot on. Love the 1st-3rd rounds, much needed depth and I think Alford, Patton and Jones could contribute right from the start. I will still stick to my pick in Kawann Short though.![]()
- 1 2