There are 51 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

iowa49er mock draft 2.0

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by blm7754:
I'm getting a little tired of all these mocks that involve ridiculous trade scenarios involving Alex Smith. Sure, in the right system Smith is an above average starting QB. But nobody in the league really believes that we won't just release him in a few weeks. His affordable contract is the only thing that might allow us to get something for him. But, I don't think Smith will get a huge contract as a FA. Teams will want to be cautious because nobody knows how he will perform under a new offense and coaching staff.

If I'm KC, Cleavlend, NYJ, or AZ.... it's like this. Either trade a pick for him and secure his services for 2 years at about $7-8M per year, or wait till he is released and probably be able to get him for 3 years at $9-10M per. KC and Cleveland have plenty of cap space. They won't give up a high 2nd rounder unless we give them Smith AND our low 2nd rounder.

Straight up, Smith is worth maybe a 5th round pick to KC.

I agree. No chance in hell that KC gives up the 33rd pick for Alex and a 5th.


I agree (many times )

Draft scenarios would be a lot more plausible if one just left an Alex trade out of the calculus.

So on this lot, ignoring the trade pick, it's still a pretty good scenario. Would still like to draft a CB or pick a younger guy up in FAcy.

Agreed. I do like the players selected. I would just grab a CB instead of the S at the end of round 2. I think the Niners have a glaring need on the corner.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Do we actually really believe that Jones will be there at 31, though?

Why not? Why are people so insistent on Jones being gone at that point? I just don't see it. He could be a good DE in a 4-3 system but he's still undersized for the 3-4 and not ready to be an immediate starter. I have him with an early-mid 2nd round grade right now.
As far as center goes, it seems like the 49ers are more than fine with Kilgore and Looney both being able to play that position, where they are hurting is depth at tackle.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM ]
I really like this draft, one of the best I've seen so far IMHO.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by blm7754:
I'm getting a little tired of all these mocks that involve ridiculous trade scenarios involving Alex Smith. Sure, in the right system Smith is an above average starting QB. But nobody in the league really believes that we won't just release him in a few weeks. His affordable contract is the only thing that might allow us to get something for him. But, I don't think Smith will get a huge contract as a FA. Teams will want to be cautious because nobody knows how he will perform under a new offense and coaching staff.

If I'm KC, Cleavlend, NYJ, or AZ.... it's like this. Either trade a pick for him and secure his services for 2 years at about $7-8M per year, or wait till he is released and probably be able to get him for 3 years at $9-10M per. KC and Cleveland have plenty of cap space. They won't give up a high 2nd rounder unless we give them Smith AND our low 2nd rounder.

Straight up, Smith is worth maybe a 5th round pick to KC.

I agree. No chance in hell that KC gives up the 33rd pick for Alex and a 5th.


I agree (many times )

Draft scenarios would be a lot more plausible if one just left an Alex trade out of the calculus.

So on this lot, ignoring the trade pick, it's still a pretty good scenario. Would still like to draft a CB or pick a younger guy up in FAcy.

Charlie whitehurst, traded for 3rd round pick and swap of 2nd round picks
Donovan Mcnabb, traded for a high second round pick plus a conditional 3rd-4th round pick
Carson Palmer (injured and 32) traded for a 1st round pick and conditional 2nd round
Kevin Kolb traded for a 2nd round pick and Rodgers-cromartie

Alex Smith makes very little money when it comes to starter QB money, plus he's shown the capacity to play well under a variety of schemes. He's not a world-beater, but that type of player doesn't exist this year in the draft or free agency. For those people who don't think we should be able to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Alex are just being haters.... someone will come calling, wait and see

PS- I will agree that the roster bonus might force our hand, but i feel like a team will see the cheap contract and swoop in, when it's reasonable Alex may ask for MORE as a free agent than he already was being paid now, considering his good stats this year
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I agree (many times )

Draft scenarios would be a lot more plausible if one just left an Alex trade out of the calculus.

So on this lot, ignoring the trade pick, it's still a pretty good scenario. Would still like to draft a CB or pick a younger guy up in FAcy.


Mock drafts are 100% speculative so who cares if any player is offered as a trade. I have never seen one mock draft that was remotely close to happening but I still love reading everyone's take

Edit - remotely close to what ends up happening
[ Edited by TalkinBoutWILLIS on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I really like this draft, one of the best I've seen so far IMHO.

I agree
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Charlie whitehurst, traded for 3rd round pick and swap of 2nd round picks
Donovan Mcnabb, traded for a high second round pick plus a conditional 3rd-4th round pick
Carson Palmer (injured and 32) traded for a 1st round pick and conditional 2nd round
Kevin Kolb traded for a 2nd round pick and Rodgers-cromartie

Alex Smith makes very little money when it comes to starter QB money, plus he's shown the capacity to play well under a variety of schemes. He's not a world-beater, but that type of player doesn't exist this year in the draft or free agency. For those people who don't think we should be able to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Alex are just being haters.... someone will come calling, wait and see

PS- I will agree that the roster bonus might force our hand, but i feel like a team will see the cheap contract and swoop in, when it's reasonable Alex may ask for MORE as a free agent than he already was being paid now, considering his good stats this year

Yes we will see. Let's revisit this issue after the free agency period. OK?

If you're counting on this happening and are basing a significant value of your draft on it, there's a good (IMO almost certain) chance you're going to be dissappointed. Making draft projections are speculative enough in themselves. I think this kind of high trade speculation makes a projection even more implausible.

That's all I'm saying. But if it floats one's boat, go ahead . . . do it. I give a pick like this no credence.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Do we actually really believe that Jones will be there at 31, though?

Why not? Why are people so insistent on Jones being gone at that point? I just don't see it. He could be a good DE in a 4-3 system but he's still undersized for the 3-4 and not ready to be an immediate starter. I have him with an early-mid 2nd round grade right now.

I think he could very well be gone but it will be to a team running a 4-3 and not a 3-4. Pass rushing DEs are not easy to find.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Charlie whitehurst, traded for 3rd round pick and swap of 2nd round picks
Donovan Mcnabb, traded for a high second round pick plus a conditional 3rd-4th round pick
Carson Palmer (injured and 32) traded for a 1st round pick and conditional 2nd round
Kevin Kolb traded for a 2nd round pick and Rodgers-cromartie

Alex Smith makes very little money when it comes to starter QB money, plus he's shown the capacity to play well under a variety of schemes. He's not a world-beater, but that type of player doesn't exist this year in the draft or free agency. For those people who don't think we should be able to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Alex are just being haters.... someone will come calling, wait and see

PS- I will agree that the roster bonus might force our hand, but i feel like a team will see the cheap contract and swoop in, when it's reasonable Alex may ask for MORE as a free agent than he already was being paid now, considering his good stats this year

I hate it when people call anyone who doesnt think Alex will bring a high pick a "hater" I dont think any 49er fan is a hater of Smith. We are just realistic on his value on the market. People who think the Niners will get the 33th pick in the draft for Alex and a 5th are just living on a prayer.
I am driving the Da'Rick Rogers bandwagon right now. The guy is a player. It is that simple.

I do think that we trade a pick or two and acquire more/better picks for next year (a la what we did with Carolina last year). I can see us trading away a 3rd for a second next year or something like that. If it weren't for Hunter's injury, we wouldn't have seen a rookie on offense or defense the entire year. I don't see 14 picks really doing any good for our team or the draftees. I am still working on my mock, and plan on trading away picks to stock up for the future.
[ Edited by YouGotGored on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM ]
everyone seems to love Marcus Davis
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
As far as center goes, it seems like the 49ers are more than fine with Kilgore and Looney both being able to play that position, where they are hurting is depth at tackle.

What information do you have that implies that? Ill bet my lunch money we draft a center.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why not? Why are people so insistent on Jones being gone at that point? I just don't see it. He could be a good DE in a 4-3 system but he's still undersized for the 3-4 and not ready to be an immediate starter. I have him with an early-mid 2nd round grade right now.

If datone jones knocks out the combine which he will it would he heed b to imagine him making it to the end of the round. Atlanta need pass rush in the middle. Seattle too. Saints our having to gut their line and they're switching to a 3-4 which Jones is perfect for. Chicago cut Canty. I we should trade for the Saints first round. They have 5 pick. They're going to gut their roster this offseason becaus they're so far over cap. They need guantity sooo much more than quality. We could possibly get a steal by trading our 1st and some late rounders. Or our 1st and 2nd. Or 1st and 3rd. But we essentially get dibs on the top 3 of any position. We need quality not quantity. Win, win.
Another strong mock... nice!
Thanks for all the input and feedback guys, if we get even half of these guys come draft day I will be thrilled!!

Can't wait for draft day and Go Niners!