LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 436 users in the forums

iowa49er mock draft 2.0

Round 1 Datone Jones, DT, UCLA
Player that really shined at the senior bowl and who I feel could come in and make an impact right away and be in the rotation on our defensive line. High motor player that would be a lot for the #31 pick. Really like this kid and would be excited to have him on our team

Round 2, Trade Alex Smith and a fifth round pick for Kansas City's second round pick. SELECT Jordan Poyer, CB, OREGON STATE
Every time I watch film on this kid I am just more and more impressed. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and plays until whistle which is why I like him. Breaks on the ball well and tackles even better. Can also return punts and kicks which also gives us another option there.

Round 2, Our pick, D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
It is time to start building for the future and add some depth at the safety position, Whitner's contract is up next year and i doubt he is back. This is a kid who I would take on my team any day of the week, takes proper pursuit angles to the ball and arrives with an attitude when he gets there, hell of a player who I think could start by year two

Round 3a Brandon Jenkins, OLB/DE, Florida State
One was one of the best pass rushers in the nation before he tore his ACL. I think teams will be skeptical to draft him in rounds one or two because of his knee I would could potentially have a HUGE steal if he fully recovers, we need to add some depth to our defensive line and our pass rushing and this kid knows how to get after the quarterback.

Round 3b Da Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
Has some character issues but extremely high ceiling on this kid. Big bodied reciever at 6'3 215 lbs who can go up and get the ball. Can run the vertical routes as well as go across the middle, can make something happen after the catch as well. Would improve our red zone offense a bunch.

Round 4 Brian Schwenke, C, California
Goodwin is aging and we need a long term solution at the center position and we snag a solid backup and future starter at the beginning of the fourth.

Round 4, Trade a fifth and a 2014 fourth to move into the fourth, select Montori Hughes, DT/NT, Tennessee Martin
I would like to see our defense return to the way it was in 2011, this kid would definately help that. Has some character issues but that doesn't concern me with the locker room we have. Could be a big time steal.

Round 5, Dustin Hopkins, Kicker, Flordia State
Replaces Akers and gives us a reliable option to make some field goals.

Round 6, Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
Big bodied reciever at 6'4 232 lbs would be a good red zone target if he could make the team. Think this is who our scouts who watching at all those virginia tech games they attended this year.

Round 6, Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame
Could be a solid special teams player and give us some depth at the safety position.

Round 7 We have four picks, add some offensive line depth and take one flyer on character issue guy.

Thanks for reading, comments and criticism welcome.
[ Edited by iowa49er_75 on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM ]
Great Job. Might be the best mock I've seen so far on here. You addressed all our needs and I like all of the picks. I'm not very familiar with Jordan Poyer. Does he seem to be one of the better corners available?
That would be a great draft. Hits all the major areas of need and no major reaches. Nice mock.
Really like it AND that you took Hopkins in the 5th - good move.

He'll be a major contributor for 10 years.

Da'Rick has major potential.

We still need a NT - hopefully in FA or even more hopefully Ian Williams can step up.
I'm getting a little tired of all these mocks that involve ridiculous trade scenarios involving Alex Smith. Sure, in the right system Smith is an above average starting QB. But nobody in the league really believes that we won't just release him in a few weeks. His affordable contract is the only thing that might allow us to get something for him. But, I don't think Smith will get a huge contract as a FA. Teams will want to be cautious because nobody knows how he will perform under a new offense and coaching staff.

If I'm KC, Cleavlend, NYJ, or AZ.... it's like this. Either trade a pick for him and secure his services for 2 years at about $7-8M per year, or wait till he is released and probably be able to get him for 3 years at $9-10M per. KC and Cleveland have plenty of cap space. They won't give up a high 2nd rounder unless we give them Smith AND our low 2nd rounder.

Straight up, Smith is worth maybe a 5th round pick to KC.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Feb 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM ]
All that aside, I REALLY like the Datone Jones and DJ Swearinger picks. Very nice.
Originally posted by blm7754:
All that aside, I REALLY like the Datone Jones and DJ Swearinger picks. Very nice.

Do we actually really believe that Jones will be there at 31, though?
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Great Job. Might be the best mock I've seen so far on here. You addressed all our needs and I like all of the picks. I'm not very familiar with Jordan Poyer. Does he seem to be one of the better corners available?

Poyer is my favorite CB has great work ethics and size although we need to see his 40 time
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Do we actually really believe that Jones will be there at 31, though?

i just really believe that jones will be there
not actually really believe that Jones will be there
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Round 1 Datone Jones, DT, UCLA
Player that really shined at the senior bowl and who I feel could come in and make an impact right away and be in the rotation on our defensive line. High motor player that would be a lot for the #31 pick. Really like this kid and would be excited to have him on our team

Round 2, Trade Alex Smith and a fifth round pick for Kansas City's second round pick. SELECT Jordan Poyer, CB, OREGON STATE
Every time I watch film on this kid I am just more and more impressed. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and plays until whistle which is why I like him. Breaks on the ball well and tackles even better. Can also return punts and kicks which also gives us another option there.

Round 2, Our pick, D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
It is time to start building for the future and add some depth at the safety position, Whitner's contract is up next year and i doubt he is back. This is a kid who I would take on my team any day of the week, takes proper pursuit angles to the ball and arrives with an attitude when he gets there, hell of a player who I think could start by year two

Round 3a Brandon Jenkins, OLB/DE, Florida State
One was one of the best pass rushers in the nation before he tore his ACL. I think teams will be skeptical to draft him in rounds one or two because of his knee I would could potentially have a HUGE steal if he fully recovers, we need to add some depth to our defensive line and our pass rushing and this kid knows how to get after the quarterback.

Round 3b Da Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
Has some character issues but extremely high ceiling on this kid. Big bodied reciever at 6'3 215 lbs who can go up and get the ball. Can run the vertical routes as well as go across the middle, can make something happen after the catch as well. Would improve our red zone offense a bunch.

Round 4 Brian Schwenke, C, California
Goodwin is aging and we need a long term solution at the center position and we snag a solid backup and future starter at the beginning of the fourth.

Round 4, Trade a fifth and a 2014 fourth to move into the fourth, select Montori Hughes, DT/NT, Tennessee Martin
I would like to see our defense return to the way it was in 2011, this kid would definately help that. Has some character issues but that doesn't concern me with the locker room we have. Could be a big time steal.

Round 5, Dustin Hopkins, Kicker, Flordia State
Replaces Akers and gives us a reliable option to make some field goals.

Round 6, Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
Big bodied reciever at 6'4 232 lbs would be a good red zone target if he could make the team. Think this is who our scouts who watching at all those virginia tech games they attended this year.

Round 6, Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame
Could be a solid special teams player and give us some depth at the safety position.

Round 7 We have four picks, add some offensive line depth and take one flyer on character issue guy.

Thanks for reading, comments and criticism welcome.

I like it. Particularly that we go after a 3-4 type DE like Jones in the 1st and I too believe that there will be a quality NT in the 4th. Remember we will only be using a NT about 1/3 of our defensive snaps at most

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Poyer is my favorite CB has great work ethics and size although we need to see his 40 time
I'm on that bandwagon with you. I think he could be our slot CB immediately
Very nice mock, similar to mine. Would love this!
Two of my favorite character issue guys were taken here. Love the Hughes and Rogers picks. Those two guys could take us to the next level if they can keep themselves straight. Really hope at least one of them gets taken by the Niners!
I'm getting a little tired of all these mocks that involve ridiculous trade scenarios involving Alex Smith. Sure, in the right system Smith is an above average starting QB. But nobody in the league really believes that we won't just release him in a few weeks. His affordable contract is the only thing that might allow us to get something for him. But, I don't think Smith will get a huge contract as a FA. Teams will want to be cautious because nobody knows how he will perform under a new offense and coaching staff.

If I'm KC, Cleavlend, NYJ, or AZ.... it's like this. Either trade a pick for him and secure his services for 2 years at about $7-8M per year, or wait till he is released and probably be able to get him for 3 years at $9-10M per. KC and Cleveland have plenty of cap space. They won't give up a high 2nd rounder unless we give them Smith AND our low 2nd rounder.

I agree. No chance in hell that KC gives up the 33rd pick for Alex and a 5th.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I agree. No chance in hell that KC gives up the 33rd pick for Alex and a 5th.

I agree (many times )

Draft scenarios would be a lot more plausible if one just left an Alex trade out of the calculus.

So on this lot, ignoring the trade pick, it's still a pretty good scenario. Would still like to draft a CB or pick a younger guy up in FAcy.
Share 49ersWebzone