Not a member? Register Now!

Eonblues pre-combine mock draft 2.0

Release - $5.92M in savings
Parys Haralson $2.87M
David Akers $3.05M

Trade - $7.5M in savings

Alex Smith to KC Chiefs for the 1st pick of the 3rd round

Resign:
Ricky Jean-Francois NT/DE (4 year, $10M)
Tarvares Gooden - ILB (2 year, $2M)
Dashon Goldson - FS (5 year, $36M)
Delanie Walker - TE (3 year, $8M)
Isaac Sopoago - NT (1 year, $1.5M)

With the 2013 draft the Niners are in a unique position to draft depth since there are no dire needs at any position but a great need strengthen positions and provide freshness through rotation. I view some of these picks as future starters and with that in mind some of these prospects are very raw but given 2-3 years to develop I see a very strong draft. I wanted to draft the Dline of the future. Sopoago has rapidly declined and Justin Smith has hinted towards retirement after the 2013 season. With that in mind they will be training their replacements and I think the rookies will benefit from their experience.

With the 31st pick the Niners select Datone Jones the DE from UCLA.

At 6'4 280 pds he is the perfect size for a 3-4 DE. By training with Justin Smith and Mcdonald will put on the weight over the next 2 years to take over for Smith.
He has excellent speed and never gives up on the play. He always keeps his eyes on the QB. A very versatile player he can rush the edge but also press the middle and beat the guard. He will be a great pass rusher when he fully develops. The most exciting attribute about him is his ability to penetrate his gap. Guards are unable to contain his combination of speed and strength. He easily draws the double team and will lead to a numerical advantage on the edges for our pass rushing LBs
With the 63rd pick the 49ers select Brandon Williams the NT from Missouri Southern.

At 6'2 340 pds this guy is an immovable object in the middle. After watching the Senior Bowl I was fully convinced. This man could not be blocked out of the play even when it was the center and 2 guards trying. He lacks something in pass rushing but this is something that can be developed. I think we have a super raw product with Williams but his ability is so loud it smacks people in the faces. This is the kind of guy we need. With a guy like this anchoring the middle we can rush the entire line and not have to worry about anything making it past him in the middle. I'm not trying to sound like a broken record but this guy hasn't begun to show his true power. Missouri Southern didn't use him in the right way and he hasn't been trained by NFL trainers and coachs so his upside is unlimited.
With the 65td pick from Kansas City Chiefs the 49ers select Justin Hunter the WR from Tennessee.
At 6'4 200pds and a very lean build he has an exceptional reach. Some people would disagree with this pick based on his projection to the 3rd but this guy is simply to get to fall that far. His length is something our offense is missing. Crabtree and Davis have become masters at running underneath and edge routes but we need a WR that can stretch the field. He possesses that skill with his height but and after a year of NFL conditioning I think will come to see he will also out muscle corners. Combining all these factors to his exceptional ability to create yards after the catch and may become another 1000 yard receiver and future starter for the next 10 years. By far he my most favorite prospect in this years draft.
With the Carolina 3rd pick the 49ers selects Bacarri Rambo the FS from Georgia.

At 6'1 215 Rambo is the best of both worlds. I've watched much film Rambo. He has the physical attributes to play SS. He's a vicious tacklers and keeps his eyes on the play with the instincts to move up and bust up the carrier. Some of have said this could be a weakness because he will draw flags to easily but I see this as an advantage. His position at Georgia was FS but he plays like a SS. With Whitner and Goldson as a mentor I think they could bring the best out of kid and hopefully keep the kid out of trouble which is what led to his stock falling to 3rd. If not for disciplinary problems he would easily be gone in the 2nd round. Despite his hard nose he has excellent coverage ability and hawks the ball when its in the air.

With our 3rd round pick the 49ers select William Gholston DE from Michigan St.

6'6 278 He played as an edge rusher at Michigan state but his length and strength would make him perfect for a gap rusher in the 3-4. His frame will easily put on another 20 pounds in the next 2 years. He's a very exciting prospect if he pans out because they just don't make them his size. He easily moves around as well and uses his long arms to push off blocks. He can only get stronger and I think in a our one gap system this guy could be the future.

With our 3rd round comp pick the 49ers select Will Davis CB from Utah State.

5'11 186 he's extremely quick and in my opinion has the best coverage skill in this class but he's an awful tacklers and get's beaten physically, Strength training should help improve both of those areas.

With their 4th round pick the 49ers select David Quessenberry C from San Jose St.

Goodwin contract is up next season and I highly doubt the Niners resign him so they need to assure they have a replacement and don't have to spend on the market. At 6'5 298 Quessenberry has great length and can play in the guard spot. He did very well at the Senior bowl.

With the Colt's 5th round pick the 49ers select Michael Buchanan OLB from Illinois.

With the their 5th round pick the 49ers select Caleb Sturgis K from Florida.

24 of 28 in 2012. Consistently answered the call when his team needed him and playing for Florida team that couldn't score to save their lives this year you can guarantee it happened a lot. He was 22-26 in 2011. He was 3/3 beyond the 50 and 5/6 at 40-49 in 2012.

With our 6th round pick the 49ers select Brad Wing P from LSU.

Probowler.

With our 7th round pick the 49ers select Michael Dyer RB.

I heard he was entering the draft. He's worth a 7th round pick. Nothing more.

[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I want Hunter.
Not a big fan of Justin Hunter at all. Really like the Jones pick and think analysis is spot on. Williams I read is 6-2 and 341 lbs....intriguing. The juries still out on Rambo from my perspective. Overall it's well thought out and addresses needs.
You say we trade Alex for the 1st pick in the 3rd round then have us picking Hunter with the 33rd pick. Which is it?

And you really dont think we will get the 33rd overall pick for Alex do you?
If Jones is available at 31, he is definitely my guy. If he isn't, it's Jesse Williams or maybe Kawann Short. I can see us getting Kansas City's third rounder for Smith, but if we were to get the 34th from Kansas City (I think KC switches with Jacksonville in the 2nd round), we would have to send some picks along with Smith to Kansas City.
Yeah, no way we get the 33rd (34th) pick for Alex Smith.
Jones, Hunter, and Williams are my favorite players at their positions in the draft.
Reid always plays it close to the vest, getting a three will be tough unless there is another team to play against.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
You say we trade Alex for the 1st pick in the 3rd round then have us picking Hunter with the 33rd pick. Which is it?

And you really dont think we will get the 33rd overall pick for Alex do you?

LOL This. Not a chance we get the 33rd pick from KC. I do like the players selected though since its basically identical to mine that I did a 2-3 weeks ago. These mocks are all starting to sound the same.
Wait, you said we trade Alex Smith for the Chiefs' first pick in the 3rd round. Which is it?
I doesn't matter which pick it is. It doesn't even have to come from KC. I just wanted another pick in the 1st 3 rounds so I could pick Jones, Williams,Rambo and Hunter before they leave the board. GAWD!
I liked the draft. I did not like two kickers and we need a punt returner as well.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I liked the draft. I did not like two kickers and we need a punt returner as well.

One of them is.a.pointer. Brad Wing. He had an average of 44.5 yards per punt. I've watched him for a couple of years and he keeps.the opponent.beyond the.20. I figured with all these picks we could afford. I thought about Ace Sanders or tyrann Matheu as kr but i just didn't post it. We definitely need one. Lmj can fulfill those duties though.
Originally posted by eonblue:
One of them is.a.pointer. Brad Wing. He had an average of 44.5 yards per punt. I've watched him for a couple of years and he keeps.the opponent.beyond the.20. I figured with all these picks we could afford. I thought about Ace Sanders or tyrann Matheu as kr but i just didn't post it. We definitely need one. Lmj can fulfill those duties though.

We already have the best punter in the league.
I like the cut of your gib Eon, but I strongly question bringing back Soap and RJF, plus drafting Dline in three of our first 4 picks. D-line is a major need but thats overkill. Your going to have nine guys on the roster at three positions. I am assuming your going to cut guys that are there now....but still we have other needs. Then you also did nothing about Wideout. We will likely lose Ginn and Moss, and Williams and Rio are no locks to be on the gameday roster for week one...and if they are may not be 100%. Crabs, Jenkins and the practice squad isnt going to cut it. Also we probably need a thrid qb more than we need a punter this year...no team carries a second string punter even if he is good.

All in all I cant complain about any particular player you grab..I like your choices...I just think we need to address depth in a few places and although you hit our biggest need you focused on it so hard you ignored any others.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Andy Lee? Why on earth would you waste a pick on a punter