There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Draft: Expect the Unexpected

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need to go for quality not quanity in this draft. Package pics and move up for players you like in each round.

I agree with you on this but we need to strike a balance. I think a good strategy would be to take a look at the upcoming free agents in '14 and '15 and draft according to that. There is no way we should stay with 14 picks. I'd like to see us move back into the 2nd with out 31st pick and get another pick or two for next year and then move some of the lower picks to help us bump up. I'd be all for more 2nd-5th round picks.

I don't get your insistence of moving out of the first round this year. This draft is not as top heavy IMO and there should be plenty of talented players available at #31. I agree with Mayo that the Niners have all the ammunition they need to move up to get who they want this year (Dion Jordan, anyone?). If they can't make a deal to move up, standing pat at #31 isn't going to be the worst thing in the world either. Baalke has also shown that he will trade back for future picks if they don't like who's available when they are on the clock. That's why the Niners have all these picks in the first place.

Actually one analyst said this draft is so flat that pick 5 or pick 25, you could get the same calibur player. Especially when the draft is deep at DL, OT and safety. I am for moving up in round 1, potentially 5-7 spots to land that top 3-4 DE or NT. If staying at 31, I would like BPA, even if that is a TE who will see the field over 50%^ of the time.
I haven't been paying too much attention to this year's players (because we were actually playing in Jan & Feb), but from what I've read and heard, it seems like a lack-luster draft in terms of game-changers, but lots of talented players that can make a difference eventually.

Now, we will probably have 5-9 spots available on our roster, depending on what we do with Goldson, Soapoaga, Moss, Akers, Rogers, Haralson, and others. With 14 picks, it makes a lot of sense to trade up if there's a player we want, or more likely, trade to next year, a la New England. We also have players like Fleming, Looney, and others who may or may not work out, as well as the giant ? of AJ Jenkins. Unfortunately, we really shouldn't pull a massive trade like the Falcons did to get Julio Jones, because there doesn't seem to be a Julio Jones-type player. However, there's no way we sit and draft 14 players, unless we are calling last draft a complete waste (minus LMJ).

I hope we can ...
1. move up in the first round (or use it for a trade)
2. draft D-line, S, CBs, WR/PR/KR, and K
3. Gain additional picks for next year, hopefully 1st round.
Wouldn't be surprised if we took SS Jonathan Cyprien. Whitner will have 1 more year with us under the contract, and our staff isn't afraid to draft players that will not be starting right away.

I was just looking at players in the 25-35 range, and of all of them, Cyprien fits the identity of our team extremely well. Seems like a player Baalke will have a hard on for.
Q: Why does everyone think we're looking for depth here?

We are 3-5 UPGRADED starters from being the #1 team in the NFL. We need an upgrade at S (if that means signing/moving Goldson to FS and cutting Whitner), need an upgrade at DE to spell both Justin/Ray, need an upgrade at NT (a pocket collapser), an upgrade over an aged Randy Moss at WR and an upgrade over Walker (6'6" TE who can block and be a threat in the RZ/EZ); we need a K as well. We could already have an upgrade at C with Kilgore.

Depth at T, PR, OLB (maybe Cam/Darius), QB, etc.

This is before FA as well...this is the year we should be looking at upgrades over starters or ones that have more upside and can step in next year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Q: Why does everyone think we're looking for depth here?

We are 3-5 UPGRADED starters from being the #1 team in the NFL. We need an upgrade at S (if that means signing/moving Goldson to FS and cutting Whitner), need an upgrade at DE to spell both Justin/Ray, need an upgrade at NT (a pocket collapser), an upgrade over an aged Randy Moss at WR and an upgrade over Walker (6'6" TE who can block and be a threat in the RZ/EZ); we need a K as well. We could already have an upgrade at C with Kilgore.

Depth at T, PR, OLB (maybe Cam/Darius), QB, etc.

This is before FA as well...this is the year we should be looking at upgrades over starters or ones that have more upside and can step in next year.
I think when people use to term depth, they don't mean scrub depth lol. In rounds 1-3 you can get quality guys that would probably be starting on another team. Our DE and NT that we draft should be future starters. Any CB or S we draft should be able to start eventually. And of course the kicker we draft will technically be a starter lol.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Wouldn't be surprised if we took SS Jonathan Cyprien. Whitner will have 1 more year with us under the contract, and our staff isn't afraid to draft players that will not be starting right away.

I was just looking at players in the 25-35 range, and of all of them, Cyprien fits the identity of our team extremely well. Seems like a player Baalke will have a hard on for.

I wouldn't be surprised.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I'll be upset if a good defensive linemen is there for the taking and we reach for another position. Teams get themselves in trouble not taking the BPA when it's their turn to pick. At #30 last season there were several players there for the taking. I begged for us to take Janoris Jenkins and would've settled for Kendall Reyes or Courtney Upshaw but we took a undersized and skinny project receiver. We did end up getting more picks for the 2013 draft but the 2012 draft ended up being one of the worst in the NFL in it's first year.

Its amazing when people on here talk like this. I mean if you or I or anyone knew Reyes, Upshaw or Janoris Jenkins were going to be good players to pick at 30 as opposed to AJ Jenkins you would have a job in the NFL. But no you are on a fourm with the rest of the armchair GM's. Player A is a reach and Player B has good value, total BS from almost everyone on here. There is a reason people work as scouts and personnel directors and GM's.

Hindsight is 20/20

Your comment shows a complete lack of understanding of the sports business. The people at the top in sports organizations are people who took a big gamble and decided to devote their careers in the most unstable profession in the US today. There is a reason why GM's and scouts aren't graduates of Top 50 universities (and believe me there are plenty of people in the well-educated population who have an eye for talent). They aren't because most educated people aren't willing to take the risk of a likely deadend, risky, and low paying career in hopes that it might pay out.

I have no doubt in my mind that atleast 10 members on this board if provided with the resources, could do a better of drafting than some GM's in the NFL today. If you were to take a Webzone consensus of the player to draft at each spot in the draft over the past 10 years we would be an above average NFL franchise.

Yes not everyone on this board knows what they're talking about, and yes many are wrong more often than not. With that said, well paid and well respected GM's miss just as often. Scouting is not a science, there are so many unknowns and many times the "gut" of the draft gurus on this board has been more right than the "brains" of respected GM's.

agreed. Kendal Reyes and Janoris Jenkins were both rated pretty highly. AJ Jenkins was not rated highly at all. While hindsight may be 20/20, for Baalke to pass over highly rated prospects for a 3rd rounder (at best) prospect was a big chance for him to take. To see that disaster blow up in his face will definitely alter Baalke's strategy going forward. It was a huge gamble, over a player that is barely big enough to play in the NFL in the first place, when we had obvious holes in other positions to fill. A GM of Baalke's quality will make those mistakes from time to time, but I don't expect him to be that wrong on a first round pick for the rest of his career. As such, it is acceptable to be very critical of him. When you have an aging DL, and a big name DL prospect is sitting there, you don't take a skinny WR. Not in the first round, not in any round.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I wouldn't be surprised.

Doesn't look that great to me. But i don't watch much college football.