LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 154 users in the forums

I Would trade down from 31 and gain an extra 3rd Rounder

There is going to be talent available at pick #31. Trading down to get more picks when you already have 14 picks seems ludicrous to me.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
There is going to be talent available at pick #31. Trading down to get more picks when you already have 14 picks seems ludicrous to me.

you make my trade down point even more valid, why not trade down and get just as ggod of talent and have to pay less because of lower round
[ Edited by ElephantHaley on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Agreed! A #1 next season is the only reason I'd trade out of 31st spot this year, and I'm not too hot on that either. Our first 2 picks should be on the D-line - NT and DE, respectfully. It's been a long time since we really addressed the 0-technique, and Cowboy realistically has about two seasons left so we need to get an hair apparent he can mentor.

Our first two picks should be used on the best player available at a position of need.

Getting a starting nose tackle with one of the first two picks should not be a problem.

But, but finding a quality 3-4 defensive end with one of the first two picks, might be a problem.
I cannot agree with the first bold. There isn't a team in the NFL who can go BPA early in the draft. I remember making this same argument last season (and being on the Zones less popular, but winning side). And I would argue that winning teams don't go BPA often, especially not early. The "best player available" at the spot you pick might not be the best player for your team and your system. Winning teams normally trade out of that spot if their guy isn't there, or pick the next player on their big board by need. All teams have contingency plans/picks.

I do agree with you about quality 3-4 DE's early. There aren't many outside of the 3rd round. But you do have to remember we pick 31st, unless we trade up. So we likely will have to reach a little for one. I expect us to be able to trade Alex Smith for a 2nd or 3rd. I think we use or package that pick to nab one (I have one in mind) that Cowboy can mentor).
Always depends on who is on the board at the time. The Niners are in a prime trading position, as I think a rush for QBs in the second round pushes teams to trade back into the late first to get their guy.
Maddog are you going to give us a 49ers based list of players? Are you going to give us a pre-combine draft and a post combine mock draft?
Yea, 14 guys aren't making this roster. Maybe 8-10
Originally posted by dlance:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I would not trade up because we are gonna have a bunch of holes sooner rather than later, We can add a whole bunch of depth at crucial postions like the DLINE,Secondary,WR and a Pistol QB to groom to be Kape's backup and Offensive Tackle, Davis and Staley will need breathers and the more top 125 picks, the all that much better and stronger we sustain for the long run. There is no player worth trading up for in this draft, it is a very deep draft everywhere except QB but we just need a developmental type Qb who can learn to be Kape's backup only while they learn.

Really not one play worth trade up for. No one. First if a play they really like fall into the 20's someone they didnt think would be there they should try to trade up. I do not think 14 new player can make the team next year. They need to move around give up some pick this year and try to get more picks next year.

This draft is deep at DLine and some nice secondary players. 14 guys won't make this squad. 8 maybe. Package picks to get back in the 2nd and 3rd to get some key guys at areas of need in the future. Depth is the key for us
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

you make my trade down point even more valid, why not trade down and get just as ggod of talent and have to pay less because of lower round

The contracts have nothing to do with it. There is a rookie salary scale and the difference in cost between a late 1st round pick and a 2nd or 3rd round pick is minimal. It's not like it used to be.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by sf1974:
I know our FO doesn't favor trading within our division (neither do I) but, this serves both teams well. The cards would address their glaring need at QB and receive an additional 2nd or 3rd pick to address the loss of Peterson and we get a quality cover corner and return man. I do not see a CB in this years draft in the 2nd or 3rd range that could have the immediate impact (or future impact due to Peterson's youth). I also, don't see an immediate impact QB in this draft (which helps the decision process for the cards). This would free up the Cards to upgrade their horrendous OL situation (if done, Alex should benefit). Just thinking of ways to improve our team using the assets we have at our disposal.

You are waaaaay over rating Alex. And you are really, really under rating the intelligence of the Cardinals FO. They could be the dumbest FO in the league and they would still not make that trade.

I've read you making this suggestion in several threads and have been stunned speechless at the audacity of this proposition. Why don't the Niners just trade Chad Hall and Kyle Williams for Larry Fritzgerald, straight up? That's the level of nonsense that's being proposed here.

A lot of people with unrealistic expectations, and a complete set of blinders on, will be receiving a real wake-up call when the window opens for trading players.
Alex's stats since 2011:
He was completing over 70% of his passes on pace to throw for more than 3,500 yds with 13tds which was on pace to set a career high. His QB rating was over 104. Do you remember the Divisional game against the Saints? Alex has value and is a good QB. We started to see that as our line has improved over the last 2 years along with the arrival of Harbs and staff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8416/alex-smith

Also check your facts before you make statements about the Cards FO.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6812979/arizona-cardinals-complete-trade-philadelphia-eagles-kevin-kolb

Plus Patrick Peterson's return game fell way off last year compared to 2011. Might just be perfect timing! This could happen...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13980/patrick-peterson
[ Edited by sf1974 on Feb 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Yea, 14 guys aren't making this roster. Maybe 8-10
Originally posted by dlance:
I would not trade up because we are gonna have a bunch of holes sooner rather than later, We can add a whole bunch of depth at crucial postions like the DLINE,Secondary,WR and a Pistol QB to groom to be Kape's backup and Offensive Tackle, Davis and Staley will need breathers and the more top 125 picks, the all that much better and stronger we sustain for the long run. There is no player worth trading up for in this draft, it is a very deep draft everywhere except QB but we just need a developmental type Qb who can learn to be Kape's backup only while they learn.

Really not one play worth trade up for. No one. First if a play they really like fall into the 20's someone they didnt think would be there they should try to trade up. I do not think 14 new player can make the team next year. They need to move around give up some pick this year and try to get more picks next year.

This draft is deep at DLine and some nice secondary players. 14 guys won't make this squad. 8 maybe. Package picks to get back in the 2nd and 3rd to get some key guys at areas of need in the future. Depth is the key for us

14 players won't make the team. We need to trade up for another playmaker, I want Keenan Allen or Cordarrelle Patterson. Keenan seems to have better body control for the acrobatic catch while Patterson just seems unbelievably shifty for a 6'3 player and for him to make the type of plays he's made 1 yr out of a juco in the SEC. Would be happy either way but prefer Patterson for the added PUNT return ability

I HOPE with trade ups it goes something like this...

1rst WR- Keenan Allen_Consistent playmaker with a knack for the acrobatic WR that won't give up on plays and nice cuts when getting that YAC
2nd DE- Datone Jones_straight beast, Justin Smiths eventual replacement(A. Smith+draft picks trade for KC 2nd pick)
2rd. S- D.J. Swearinger_fiery physical player, crazy closing speed that can ball hawk, Donte Whitner eventual replacement
3rd OLB- Brandon Jenkins_slips bc injury huge rotational pass rusher
4th. CB- Robert Alford_slips bc height, great coverage and return ability
late compensatory pick CB- Tyran Matheu_fiesty risk reward pick Punt Return ability, just needs to get his medical card to appeal any suspensions j/k

find two or a few special teams studs with the last picks. don't really watch special teams coverage film but I guess draft some undersized LB's that can fly

Hoping we keep Walker and Sopoaga
Share 49ersWebzone