LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 358 users in the forums

Quinn Sharp / k / Oklahoma State

Just a kicker but I like this guy.

Accurate... check. Hit on 85% of his FGs.
Strong leg.. check. Led the nation in touchbacks on kickoffs.
Punter too? check. Averaged 45.8 per punt for his career. This is an NFL level average.

It is conceivable that he could handle kicker and punter duties for an NFL team thus saving them a roster spot. With having Andy Lee we're clearly set at punter.

It's hard to get a feel for kickers. Good ones can be taken in the early rounds or go undrafted. Any buzz on what round he may go or if he'll be picked at all?
We need a kicker and it can not be Cundiff.
Top kickers from what I've seen so far in rankings are Dustin Hopkins (Florida State), Caleb Sturgis (Florida), Brett Maher (Nebraska) and Casey Barth (North Carolina).

Draft countdown doesn't even have Sharp listed.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Just a kicker but I like this guy.

Accurate... check. Hit on 85% of his FGs.
Strong leg.. check. Led the nation in touchbacks on kickoffs.
Punter too? check. Averaged 45.8 per punt for his career. This is an NFL level average.

It is conceivable that he could handle kicker and punter duties for an NFL team thus saving them a roster spot. With having Andy Lee we're clearly set at punter.

It's hard to get a feel for kickers. Good ones can be taken in the early rounds or go undrafted. Any buzz on what round he may go or if he'll be picked at all?

Sharp is late 6th round to late 7th round range. He represents good value, possesses a strong leg as well.
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
Top kickers from what I've seen so far in rankings are Dustin Hopkins (Florida State), Caleb Sturgis (Florida), Brett Maher (Nebraska) and Casey Barth (North Carolina).

Draft countdown doesn't even have Sharp listed.

NFL DraftCountdown has him listed #4 under Punters, after Wing, Allen, and Locke.

Per his OSU bio, he only kicked FGs in 2011 and 2012, while punting all 4 years from '09 - '12.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sharp_quinn00.html

Per his bio stats:
He made 22 of 25 in '11 (88%), with a long of 46, while converting 79/80 PATs.
He made 28 of 34 in '12 (82.4%), with a long of 51, while converting 72/72 PATs.

Per the write up on his bio, he made all 19 of his FGs inside 40 yards in '12, and 3 of his 6 misses were from 50+. As far as I can tell, he only had the one 50+ kick, so dropping that from the made FGs and dropping 3 misses from the total, it looks like he made 27 of 31 from 49 yards and in (87%). Someone can check me on the math, does that seem right?

Also, in 2009, 2011, and 2012 he led the nation in touchbacks (no mention in 2010 write up). He had 61 in '11 to lead by 23! And then had 75 in '12.

So, it looks like he has a strong leg that can be a weapon on kickoffs and only concentrated on FGs with OSU in the last 2 years. He also has good stats as a punter, so would be a backup for Andy Lee if he happened to get hurt. And could possibly fill both roles and save a roster spot if Lee is too expensive when his contract is up (I forget how long he is signed for).

I know everyone is looking to Hopkins and Sturgis, but after reading Sharp's bio and stats he seems like a decent option with room to get better in the long distance FG department.
Originally posted by Spike1000:
NFL DraftCountdown has him listed #4 under Punters, after Wing, Allen, and Locke.

Per his OSU bio, he only kicked FGs in 2011 and 2012, while punting all 4 years from '09 - '12.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sharp_quinn00.html

Per his bio stats:
He made 22 of 25 in '11 (88%), with a long of 46, while converting 79/80 PATs.
He made 28 of 34 in '12 (82.4%), with a long of 51, while converting 72/72 PATs.

Per the write up on his bio, he made all 19 of his FGs inside 40 yards in '12, and 3 of his 6 misses were from 50+. As far as I can tell, he only had the one 50+ kick, so dropping that from the made FGs and dropping 3 misses from the total, it looks like he made 27 of 31 from 49 yards and in (87%). Someone can check me on the math, does that seem right?

Also, in 2009, 2011, and 2012 he led the nation in touchbacks (no mention in 2010 write up). He had 61 in '11 to lead by 23! And then had 75 in '12.

So, it looks like he has a strong leg that can be a weapon on kickoffs and only concentrated on FGs with OSU in the last 2 years. He also has good stats as a punter, so would be a backup for Andy Lee if he happened to get hurt. And could possibly fill both roles and save a roster spot if Lee is too expensive when his contract is up (I forget how long he is signed for).

I know everyone is looking to Hopkins and Sturgis, but after reading Sharp's bio and stats he seems like a decent option with room to get better in the long distance FG department.

I see, didn't look at the punter rankings, because we have the most awesome punter in the league.

Very interested to see what Baalke does, Phil Dawson might be great in free agency, but as we've seen with older vets, they can lose it quickly. Plus Dawson wouldn't be cheap.
Definitely a possibility if the other top kickers are gone. Good call!
Share 49ersWebzone